Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Legendary February rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I've decided to make my February Legendary by playing through every scenario in the game. Twenty eight scenarios have been released for the Marvel Heroes version of the game, so that means one a day.

Here are some self imposed rules I'll be following:
1 In general, I'll play advanced solo rules from the Dark City Expansion (except for the two scenarios that can't be played solo).
2 I'll also be utilizing the final blow against the mastermind.
3 I'm not going to repeat using any hero or villain group until all have been used.
4 Finally, because it matters to me, I'm going to do my best to make the game make sense thematically. For example, I don't think Galactus would ever care about stealing weaponized plutonium. So, following rules 1-3, I'm doing to try to have each session make (comic book) sense.

Game 1 - Steal the Weaponized Plutonium
Red Skull leading Hydra and the Masters of Evil with Hand Ninjas
Heroes: Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye

I wanted to ease into my Legendary February so started with something easy. I was able to dispatch Red Skull fairly quickly and rescue four bystanders all while securing the Weaponized Plutonium. Quick, fun game.

Win with 38 points!

Game 2 - Organized Crime Wave
King Pin leading the Streets of New York and Maggia Goons
Heroes: Daredevil, Deadpool, Punisher

I started this game thinking the win was in the bag. Boy was I wrong! Even with Bribery as a option, I could not generate enough strength to defeat King Pin. Some ill timed scheme twists didn't help. The nail in the coffin was pulling three Maggia goons in a row with two already in the city. Let's just say that on this day, crime paid.

Evil wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fantastic idea! I'm excited to see your updates throughout the month. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game 3: Midtown Bank Robbery
Carnage leading Maximum Carnage with Sentinels
Heroes: Spiderman (base game version), Electra, Iceman

For my heroes, I wanted to do a modified Spiderman and His Amazing Friends deck. Sadly, there is no Firestar. Upperdeck really should fix this. So instead, I used Electra as a substitute.

I like the Midtown Bank Robbery scenario. It is just a good, romping NYC based comic book story from my childhood. In a lot of ways, this scenario represents comic book adventures at their best. Comics from the 60s, 70s, and 80s were for kids. But as kids grew up, sadly the comics did too.

Today's books are too graphic, gory, and grown-up. I want to be able to hand my child a Batman or Spiderman book without him getting nightmares because the Joker's face has been sliced off or someone has been decapitated.

At any rate, I digress...

My mastermind for this scenario was Carnage. (And yes, I get the irony of using Carnage with his gruesome Feast mechanism after my previous diatribe).

For this game though, it was a perfect match. Carnage and crew lived up to their name as they captured a dozen or so bystanders through the course of the game and rained down terror upon people.

Demogoblin was the first villain out of the villain deck. Eventually, he had 5 bystanders underneath him so I could never generate enough strength to defeat him. Even though I couldn't outright fight him, I was able to manage the rest of the city to keep him from ever leaving.

Carrion was another troublesome villain. I defeated him, but he never left thanks to his Feasting ability.

Feast was certainly brutal. I lost several good cards because of it.

Thankfully Spiderman and his Amazing Friends were able to swoop in to save the day.

Its been a while since I used Spiderman, and I remember reading a while back that people didn't like him all that much. I personally loved him. Cheap cards that allowed me to draw more cheap cards really let me cycle through my deck quickly. I was often able to play ten to twelve cards each time. This is where Feast came back to bite the Villains. Sure, they took out some 3+ attack Icemen, but when you can play nearly all your deck, it doesn't matter that much.

I basically ignored the city except to keep a couple of spots open so villains wouldn't escape with their hostages. I was able to defeat Carnage in the five last rounds of the game.

Heroes Win!
47 points (including 8 bystanders rescued)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game 4: The Legacy Virus
Mister Sinister leading the Marauders with Phalanx
Heroes: Bishop, Cable, and IronMan

In a game like Legendary Marvel, story matters to me. I consider myself to be an omni-gamer in that I am usually happy to play just about any kind of game. Some games don't need a story. When I play Castles of Burgundy or some other Feld gem, I don't need to imagine an elaborate medieval estate I'm trying to build. The same is true for Dominion.

But other games need a story behind them to make them enjoyable. Strip away the characters and scenarios, the mechanisms in Legendary aren't captivating or compelling. That isn't to say the Legendary system is bad- far from it! But the game is compelling to me because of the imagined stories the cards conjure for me.

Maybe that is why The Legacy Virus scenario fell flat. I had no context or background for this game. The Legacy Virus story line debuted in 1993. I was a junior in high school and working as many hours as I legally could at Walmart. So I was completely unaware and oblivious to the ravages of the Legacy Virus when it was raging through the Marvel Mutant universe.

This morning, I spent a couple of minutes reading the Marvel Wiki about the Legacy Virus. I think my game would have felt much more urgent had I known about the background for this parable about the AIDS virus. So lesson learned. From now on, if I don't know what the scenario is about, I'm going to take two minutes to Google the high points.

On to the summary...

Mister Sinister is one of my favorite X-Men villains. He's just so... sinister. I loved the way he and Marauders worked together to capture Bystanders. By thinking of them as more than just pieces of card board and as actual people, the stakes are raised. And that contributes to the story.

Coming in to save the day were IronMan (as popularized by Robert Downy, Jr.), Bishop (an awesome and interesting character), and Cable (someone I know almost nothing about).

The real superstars of this game were Cable-Army of One, Bishop-Firepower from the Future, and the cheap IronMan cards that let me draw more cards. IronMan let me get some extra cards in my hand that Cable then KOed for extra power. Bishop generated some extra power by pulling the top four cards of my deck. Once I got this high powered team fielded, it was a lot of fun. At one point I used this combo to generate 20 attack so I was able to hit Mister Sinister with a double shot. That was cool. I really liked using these characters together.

I was able to win the game with just four cards left in the Villain deck (2 schemes and 2 master strikes- yikes!) and four wounds still in the pile. I didn't think that was too bad.

Heroes Win!
54 points (10 bystanders rescued)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea. I played game 1. Easy win with 34 points. Should have kept going I could have run the deck out for max points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game 5: Intergalactic Kree Nega-Bomb
Stryfe leading MLF with Savage Land Mutants
Heroes: Colossus, Domino, and Forge

I really like the Dark City Big Box expansion. The key-word mechanisms and characters are all really interesting to me. I especially like the Versatile Key Word which is so, well, versatile. Pulling out Domino and Forge let me utilize this feature. I added in Colossus, one of my favorite Comic book & Dice Masters characters. I think the big metal guy is just cool.

The scenario is from the Guardians of the Galaxy expansion. It is one of my favorite scenarios so far. The tension it brings is great. I especially like pairing it with Stryfe as the master mind. Both have aspects of ratcheting up the tension in the game that I really like. The Nega Bomb went off twice and I had 11 KOed heroes. One more time and I would have been toast.

My favorite card in the game was Forge's BFG. It is his rare card. It gives five attack and if you are able to play two tech cards prior to playing BFG, you can defeat the master mind once for free. I just love that. I was able to utilize this ability to win the game with three villains left in the villain stack.

I would say that this has been my favorite game so far. Just a lot of fun.

Heroes Win!
56 points (7 bystanders rescued)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game 6: Massive Earthquake Generator
Doctor Doom leading Radiation Villains with Doombot Legion
Heroes: Hulk, Gambit, Rogue

As I play through the scenarios, I'm noting two things. First, card synergy is important. Some heroes work well together, others not so much. But it isn't just the heroes. Pairing masterminds with schemes and villains is important too. Second, though I really like playing solo, there are times I feel like having another player or two would really amp up the game. I may try to set up a "two-player" solo game where I build two separate decks to see what happens.

In this game, the villain deck went fast! Even though Doom only needs 9 attack to take him down, I could not generate enough power early on to beat him. I ended up with 7 or 8 attack on most of my turns.

My problem was I wasn't able to KO enough of the cheap SHIELD cards and I kept pulling low cost, low attack cards from the hero deck. I never saw the "big hero" cards. I also was hurt because I couldn't draw very many extra cards. I had several copies of Gambit's Stack the Deck, but they didn't come up enough to help me all that much. I was really surprised by this since I had Hulk and entered the game expecting to have more than enough attack points to easily win.

Unfortunately, the villain deck ran out before I could finish off Doom. In true comic book fashion, I survived the scheme, but the mastermind escaped to fight another day.

By the rules, it counts as a draw, but for me, the villains won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game 7: Transform Citizens into Demons
Mephisto leading Underworld with Phalanx (and Jean Grey as the Goblin Queen per scenario rules)
Heroes: Blade, Ghost Rider, Nightcrawler

This is a tough scenario and it took me a few rounds to figure out how to make the synergy work with my heroes. Eventually, started teleporting all my Nightcrawlers until I could get some of the bigger hitters out so I could take on Mephisto and the Goblin Queen.

Unfortunately, I underestimated what a stack of Demon Goblins would do to me. At the end of the game, I had 18 Demon Goblins in the Scheme Twist stack and the city was full of Goblin Queen cards. Three Goblin Queens had already escaped, so the writing was on the wall. Even though I just needed to hit Mephisto one more time, there was no way I was going to win this one. The next draw would push the fourth Goblin Queen out of the city which means evil wins.

This was a good, tense scenario that requires you to be super efficient in dealing with not only the mastermind, but also the villains in the city and the "Demon Goblins" stack. Most of the time, I find I can ignore the city and just go after the Mastermind for the win. Not so with this scenario.

On a sad note, while setting up for the game, I realized I was missing one Blade Card soblue. So I'm sure that is why I lost the game.

Villains Win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Midwest Razorback wrote:
... As I play through the scenarios, I'm noting two things. First, card synergy is important. Some heroes work well together, others not so much. But it isn't just the heroes. Pairing masterminds with schemes and villains is important too. Second, though I really like playing solo, there are times I feel like having another player or two would really amp up the game. I may try to set up a "two-player" solo game where I build two separate decks to see what happens. ...

Have you considered using SkyZero's advanced solo ruleset? I find it much, much more fun than the official Dark City Advanced Solo rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
swirlsaepi wrote:
Midwest Razorback wrote:
... As I play through the scenarios, I'm noting two things. First, card synergy is important. Some heroes work well together, others not so much. But it isn't just the heroes. Pairing masterminds with schemes and villains is important too. Second, though I really like playing solo, there are times I feel like having another player or two would really amp up the game. I may try to set up a "two-player" solo game where I build two separate decks to see what happens. ...

Have you considered using SkyZero's advanced solo ruleset? I find it much, much more fun than the official Dark City Advanced Solo rules.

I'm not familiar with them. I'll go looking for them. Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah everything is here in the files section. I've been playing through the campaign, what has pre-listed schemes/masterminds/villains/henchmen for the base set, Dark City, and FF expansion (it was released before PttR and GotG). The campaign ruleset also includes a sort of leveling up mechanic for your starting deck, which is pretty neat (reminds me of the character deck leveling up mechanic in Myth).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For those following this thread, I promise I haven't abandoned it. "Life" has happened and I'm a little behind. I have a few games I need to write up. If I don't kick this into high gear though, Legendary February may become Marvel-ous March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game 8: Pull Reality into the Negative Zone
Magneto leading Brotherhood with the Savage Land Mutants
Heroes: Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Angel

I was so close with this one. I think one more round and I would have won. But the seventh Twist came out and that was all she wrote. I really liked the way this scenario forces you to keep a balanced deck.

Evil Wins!

Game 9: Invisible Force Field
Apocalypse leading Four Horsemen with Sentinels
Heroes: Professor X, Wolverine (Dark City Version), Iron Fist

I know nothing about Iron Fist as a character, but I recently read some Avengers Comics from a few years back featuring Iron Fist. I found him to be an interesting character in the comics, and in this game a powerful character to play. I'm going to have to try to track down a few more comics featuring him.

In the end, Apocalypse with a force field was just too much to handle. The game ended with the seventh twist coming out as the Villain deck ran out.

Evil Wins!

Game 10: Portals to Dark Dimensions
Loki leading Enemies of Asgard with Hand Ninjas
Heroes: Thor, Wolverine (Base version), Emma Frost

I lost this game when the second to last card was the seventh twist (noticing a theme?). Two hands prior, I found my deck clogged up with too many junk cards (ie- SHIELD Heroes) and not enough extra draw cards. I just needed the final strike to finish Loki off.

I really liked the synergy between Emma Frost and Wolverine.

Evil Wins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game 11: Bathe the Earth in Cosmic Rays
Galactus leading Heralds of Galactus with Hand Ninjas (because, you know, Galactus could use some Hand Ninjas to help him eat the planet)
Heroes: Thing, Human Torch, Silver Surfer

Early on I drew three Master Strikes and one Twist back to back. In no time at all, four city spaces were lost so I was really hurting. Morg didn't help when he ambushed me twice (put non-instinct heroes from the HQ on the bottom of the Hero Deck). This made me loose out on getting at least 3 powerful cards that I think would have swung the game in my favor. Bottom line, I simply ran out of time with this one.

I was able to beat Galactus twice, but evil won when the sixth non-gray hero entered the KO zone.

Evil Wins!

Game 12: Flood the Planet with Melted Glaciers
Moleman leading Subterranea with DoomBots
Heroes: Cyclops, Moon Knight, Storm

Biggest takeaway from this game- Cyclops is terrible! What is it about Cyclops? In Marvel Dice Masters, I don't think he is all that great. In the original X-Men movies, the Cyclops character was lame. In Legendary, I think he has the absolute worst cards of all the heroes. Don't get me wrong. Cyclops was my favorite X-Man as a kid reading X-men comics. I far prefer Cyclops to Wolverine (please, no hate mail). But for some reason, when it comes time to implement him in a game, he just stinks.

On the plus side, Moon Knight and Storm worked well together and had some success dealing with manipulating the city and dealing with burrowing villains.

Sadly, the drag Cyclops brought to the game could not be overcome and 20 heroes were KOed by flood waters.

Evil Wins!

Game 13: The Kree-Skrull War

Supreme Intelligence of the Kree leading Kree Starforce and Skrulls (as stipulated by the scenario) with Maggia Goons
Heroes: Star Lord, Drax the Destroyer, Symbiote Spiderman

If Cyclops is the worst playable character in the game, Star Lord is hands down the best. Everything about Star Lord works well. The Artifacts attribute on all the Guardians of the Galaxy really add some extra punch. I liked how Star Lord and Drax worked well together. Lot of fun.

The Skrulls were doing well to win their war. Three Skrull villains had quickly escaped the city leading to three twists stacked next to the Skrulls. Thankfully I was able to even out the balance. When the next twist was revealed, there was a 3-3 tie between Skrulls and Kree. I wasn't sure what to do in a tie situation, so I just put the Twist in the KO pile instead of assigning it to either side.

In the end, I won! Finally!

Heroes win! (37 points, no bystanders)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Cyclops is that bad of a character, especially for the base game. His rare card is a really powerful attack card, provided you have at least one other X-Man in your team.

Certainly not my least liked character to use, but I don't think I'd ever want to play him without other X-Men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
swirlsaepi wrote:
I don't think Cyclops is that bad of a character, especially for the base game. His rare card is a really powerful attack card, provided you have at least one other X-Man in your team.

Certainly not my least liked character to use, but I don't think I'd ever want to play him without other X-Men.

I was able to play Civil War scenario last night with a friend (write up soon). We included Cyclops, in part, because I wanted to reevaluate him. He may not be as bad as I initially felt, but I still didn't like him all that much. His discard mechanism offers too little in return, in my opinion.

That said, pairing him up with X-Force Wolverine and Colossus makes him much better. Still don't really care for him though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The sessions we played today included cyclops and angel which allowed us to feed off the discard part to rescue a bystander and draw cards. I think as time goes on it'll get easier to figure out which tag teams work better - I think I'm going to start collating them soon especially as I have all the expansions and evil keeps winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
32vini2 wrote:
The sessions we played today included cyclops and angel which allowed us to feed off the discard part to rescue a bystander and draw cards. I think as time goes on it'll get easier to figure out which tag teams work better - I think I'm going to start collating them soon especially as I have all the expansions and evil keeps winning.

I would agree that Cyclops needs other characters to help him out. Some characters are fairly self-contained (they work well by themselves regardless of who is or is not with them). Others, like Cyclops seems to be really dependent upon other characters. Maybe that is why I don't like him all that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.