Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing in the rules that suggest you must have a meld in play in order to layoff cards, but traditional Rummy rules typically require this (as does Jack the Ripper I think). Just checking to see if this is an omission from the rules or not a requirement at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
You can lay-off Evidence cards by themselves, if they go with a meld that is already on the table.

For instance, if another player has a Dr. Jekyll's Will meld, you can play a Dr. Jekyll’s Will card in front of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
(as does Jack the Ripper I think).

(For what it's worth, I don't see anything about it in the Jack the Ripper rules either. We've always played that you can, as the rules don't say you can't.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the rules are very specific about it:

If you want to layoff Evidence Cards, any one player has to have played a meld already of that same type, otherwise you're not able to play it.

Event cards are different and have the specific instructions written on them, for example Victim Cards can be played at any time, on the other hand Suspect Cards can be played only if a respective meld is in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
Actually, the rules are very specific about it:

If you want to layoff Evidence Cards, any one player has to have played a meld already of that same type, otherwise you're not able to play it.

That's not quite the original question, though. Yes, in order to lay off a card, a meld of that color must be in play; but must you first have a meld (any meld) of your own in play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, didn't quite understand the question that way. You played it correctly then, you can layoff even if you do not have a meld of your own.

The rules imply that you can layoff even if you do not have a meld of your own as it doesn't specify that you need one to be able to layoff. In the German rules this is referred to as "Ergänzen" (to complement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
There is nothing in the rules that suggest you must have a meld in play in order to layoff cards, but traditional Rummy rules typically require this (as does Jack the Ripper I think). Just checking to see if this is an omission from the rules or not a requirement at all.

Actually... I was thinking of Jack the Ripper when replying. Jack the Ripper does not require you to have a Meld of your own to layoff an Evidence Card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! Sometimes its hard to get past the traditional rules when playing games like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the Mystery Rummy games I remember, for a layoff to be played there must be a meld of that card in play somewhere, but it doesn't not have to be your meld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE REVENGE OF THE GOLDFISH
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you layoff more than one card?

For example theres a meld of Mr.Utterson already in play and i have the other two cards can i play both of them in my turn or only one?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can layoff multiple cards (which from memory in Jekyll & Hyde is never going to be more than 2, but for the other Mystery Rummy games can be up to 5 more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.