Subject: More House Rules! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Thompson
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools

The following rules variations might make the game a little less random.

1. Playing Arkham Horror can be very easy with very large games, and very impossible when your only playing with 2-3 players. While it's possible for each player to take two characters, the game is more set for 4-5 players.

One possibility to "fix" the game is to make mythos cards occur only once every 4-6 player actions (depending on desired difficulty), rather then once every time every player takes an action. This also prevents 6+ player games from being one sided beat downs.

2. Hmm.. I think I'll try to open a gate in an elder sign for the third time in a row!

It can get kind of one sided and very slow when the players get lucky and seal the first gate or two, and then have nothing to do for a few turns since it takes forever for a gate to appear. You can speed the game up simply by redrawing a new mythos card whenever a gate opens in an area where there is an elder sign. If a gate appears on a redraw however, the doom track is not increased by one. (unless your feeling particularly massochistic)

3. Gates = C'thulu power.
One thing that's kind of annoying is that under the basic rules, there's no real incentive to close gates - the more you close gates, the more gates appear, the more the doom track goes up. I kind of like the idea of encouraging investigators to close the supernatural portals to our dimention.

So, intead of having the doom track go up by one every turn a new gate opens, it instead goes up by one every turn there are 3 or more gates. If your not using the first house rule, I reocmmend you make this number based on how many players there are.

4. Suicide
An investigator may retire/ flee gotham / put a bullet into his own head / check himself in to an asylum permenently. However if he gives away any items and/or money to another investigator, he loses this ability permenently. New investigators drawn from this method discard any elder signs they draw and draw new cards.

Reasoning: Well, sometimes you just get screwed. It's NOT fun to play a game where you have 2 stamina or 2 health and all your spells/items get taken out from constant death. The little caveats to the suicide rule prevent people from using it to get more elder signs or just load up on free gear.

5. Hard core rules
A character who is reduced to negative health or sanity is devoured. A character who is reduced to 0 health or sanity in the outer world is devoured. A new character using these rules loses any elder signs they draw in there initial cards and is replaced with new ones.

Oh yeah, and to make things extra fun - no character can give away items if you use this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well i like some of the house rules, but i do not like the rule about investigators not being allowed to give away items. i think this ability is essential in a cooperative game. in fact, we have started playing that you can give away clues -- i figure that a clue is just some sort of information, and so you should be able to tell another investigator that information.

this may make the game too easy, but we can always use one of the other rules to make it hard again.

good work on the house rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
If too many gates are left open, the elder one awakes.

Thats enough motivation for our group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Thompson
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Just for the record, I wasn't clear enough, the rule is, if you give away items you can't suicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Fugitive_Unknown wrote:

1. Playing Arkham Horror can be very easy with very large games, and very impossible when your only playing with 2-3 players.

I can´t really support this claim. It has been made by many and it even seems logical looking at the rules.
But most of my 30+ plays of this game were with two or three players and we have won more than half the time, maybe about two thirds of the time. On the other hand, I think we have lost significantly more than half of our five- and six-player games.

Quote:
One possibility to "fix" the game is to make mythos cards occur only once every 4-6 player actions (depending on desired difficulty), rather then once every time every player takes an action.

I am not sure if I understand you here. Are you suggesting, that there are multiple Mythos-Phases in a turn? Maybe one extra Mythos-Phase for, let´s say, every three players? How would you time this?

Quote:
2. Hmm.. I think I'll try to open a gate in an elder sign for the third time in a row! (...)
You can speed the game up simply by redrawing a new mythos card whenever a gate opens in an area where there is an elder sign. If a gate appears on a redraw however, the doom track is not increased by one. (unless your feeling particularly massochistic)

I don´t see how this is supposed to speed up the game. On the contrary...a game will take longer and be harder.
I like the Gatebursts from Dunwich Horror much better. There are certain Mythos-Cards, that can burst open a seal, but it doesn´t happen all the time. This way there is more tension wihtout dragging the game out too much or rising the difficulty too high.

Quote:
3. Gates = C'thulu power.
One thing that's kind of annoying is that under the basic rules, there's no real incentive to close gates - the more you close gates, the more gates appear, the more the doom track goes up. I kind of like the idea of encouraging investigators to close the supernatural portals to our dimention.

So, intead of having the doom track go up by one every turn a new gate opens, it instead goes up by one every turn there are 3 or more gates.

This idea actually has potential. You are right, once you know the "Hotspots" you just don´t bother to close a gate in The Unnamable, when you can´t seal it. On the other Hand you might close a gate in the Science Building, because you can assume, that it won´t open again that soon.
Giving the Investigators an incentive to close gates even if they can´t seal them seems like a good idea.

Quote:
4. Suicide

Honestly, I never found an Investigator so hampered, that he was completely worthless. (At least the situation wouldn´t have improved if I had drawn a new one.)
A rule for retiring is introduced in Dunwich Horror and makes more sense there, as you can gain Injuries and Insanities.

Quote:
flee gotham

Arkham...the place is Arkham.

Quote:
5. Hard core rules
A character who is reduced to negative health or sanity is devoured. A character who is reduced to 0 health or sanity in the outer world is devoured. A new character using these rules loses any elder signs they draw in there initial cards and is replaced with new ones.

Again: Isn´t this a bit tough and frustrating? The problem is, that losing a character isn´t really that bad. It´s the lost items that matter, which somehow sets the wrong mood for the death of a character: "Oh no, there goes our Tommy-Gun...I mean...poor old..what was his name? Oh, McGlen or something. Well, we are all quite sad this Gangster guy is gone...WITH HIS ******* TOMMY-GUN!!!"

Quote:
Oh yeah, and to make things extra fun - no character can give away items if you use this rule.

No way! This is one of the few interactive elements of the game rules!
Why shouldn´t the Investigators be allowed to trade items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Thompson
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Tanakor wrote:

I am not sure if I understand you here. Are you suggesting, that there are multiple Mythos-Phases in a turn? Maybe one extra Mythos-Phase for, let´s say, every three players? How would you time this?

I'm suggesting you run one Mythos Phase for every certain number (I'd guess 4) of players turns. So if you had two players you'd run a Mythos phase every two complete player turns.

Tanakor wrote:

I don´t see how this is supposed to speed up the game. On the contrary...a game will take longer and be harder.

I said "speed up" not "make easier". Basically, when our group "wins" Arkham horror, it's when we have a bunch of signs in play. Sometimes we end up waiting for another gate to appear. Keep in mind I wrote this before I had access to the first expansion, I'm still waiting for the second.

Tanakor wrote:

Honestly, I never found an Investigator so hampered, that he was completely worthless. (At least the situation wouldn´t have improved if I had drawn a new one.)
A rule for retiring is introduced in Dunwich Horror and makes more sense there, as you can gain Injuries and Insanities.

I have. Had a very grim game where Ace got Cursed on the first freaking round, blew his clues to avoid it, and somehow managed to completely blow the roll. Got killed twice after that and lost all his items.

Another nasty one had the magician with 1 sanity.. and no Psychologist in play, nor did anyone have any money for the Asylum.

Tanakor wrote:

Arkham...the place is Arkham.

*smacks self in head* Damn, and I was hoping to sneak it past the players and let me play Batman as an Investigator. (Good thing I brought my Bat Elder Sign on my utility belt eh old chum?)

And just regarding the "no giving items" rule, it's only supposed to apply if your character commits suicide. It's just to prevent someone starting with (for example) Monterey Jack and then giving all his uniques away before he offs himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.