Port Royal» Forums » Strategy

Subject: I don't get it: What is the so called 'Expedition Strategy'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why I should make expeditions in a normal game without the variant? So we always play the variant so that the expedition persons make sense and you have to buy some.
I mean an expedition doesn't give me any boost for my game. It costs me 2 buys minimum (2 persons for 4 coins each), gives me 2 victory points (4-2) and 2 money back. Isn't a person for 9 coins with 3 victory points or 7/2 always better because I can use the ability which really speed my game?
Therefore with the variant the last 'buy' is most of the time one expedition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Your arithmetic is wrong. It still scores you 4/6VP total even though you have to give 2 VP back. They are the cheapest source of VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You pay 8 coins for e.g. 2 priests, get 2 back=6 coins net payment. And gain 4 VP. Therefore 6 coins + 2 Buys = 4 VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexP wrote:
You pay 8 coins for e.g. 2 priests, get 2 back=6 coins net payment. And gain 4 VP. Therefore 6 coins + 2 Buys = 4 VP.

Thanks for your answer! Ah, I see. I've overlooked that. But it's not so easy to get the required persons for your expedition especially with more players. Then I need the two buys. The best cost/VP-rate with persons is 3/1, best if you can buy a 9/3 person. With expeditions it is 3/2 but I don't get any bonus. I think it slows down. An ability is better during the game to get the expeditions or expensive persons later. I wouldn't rather get an expedition at the beginning or mid game and above all not more than one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Like in other engine-building games, its good to start to build up an engine at the begining and buying the VP-cards towards the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found it particularly useful to have a nearly complete expedition near the end of the game, so that I can jump well past 12VP to end the game or to catch up with another player who ends the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hannay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing about the expedition people is that you can often buy them on someone else's turn (as they are cheap), so getting the right ones is usually easy. And they aren't much more expensive than the traders. Yes, there are better cards to have early, but you have to play the situation - sometimes they are the best thing you can get _this game_.

In particular, I tend to buy them if I've got 12+ money on someone else's turn - I get a card that I might be able to do something with, whilst saving me from the tax card, but not reducing my money stack below the 7/8/9 level of the best cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
I've found it particularly useful to have a nearly complete expedition near the end of the game, so that I can jump well past 12VP to end the game or to catch up with another player who ends the game.
That's how I do it mostly. But mainly because one expedition is required for game ending what we like better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.