Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Wahl
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game and am very excited to play, however my excitement is slightly dampened by what I think may be a printing problem with this game.

I was punching out the bits and on 4-5 different pieces, the die cut seems to not have gone through all the way which lead to several pieces having paper torn from them. I have been gaming for ~ 10 years and own many dozens of games and have never had a problem punching bits like I did in this game. The first tear I chalked up to me being a bit careless, but when it happened 4 more times while I was being extra careful, I've got to figure there's an issue at the printers with their die cut.

You can see in the photo where there were tears. As you can see, in most of the cases, I tried to make the tear occur on the cardboard frame/sprue cardboard and not on the bit itself, but damn I wasn't able to cleanly separate every thing.

Anyone else have this issue?

I'm really bummed, but I'll manage to soldier on and play regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer. I read "teers" first and not "tares", but I could see where both would apply in this case.

This happens to me on occasion. I take an X-acto knife and try to get what's left of the paper then try to glue (Elmers or Tacky) to the piece or slice off the residual amount (depending on the circumstance). Usually I can get it so you can't notice it, but it is a big pain. I'll sometimes also use a Sharpie of a similar color to fill in where I don't have the little piece.

You might want to write to the company and see if they'll send you out a new bit board. I hope you can get your new game looking new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm man enough to tell you that the tears flowed the last time I was punched in my bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Teague
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
That sucks, man. I've punched lots of games and the only two real problems I've encountered like this were both AEG games, sad to say. Hopefully they will set this right with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not this game but a few others, usually end up repairing by using some paper glue. Am very careful now punching out game bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks...
I've read this happens to the early patches of Istanbul so I was extra careful when punching mine. Some almost tore with utmost care. It is a problem of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bronswijk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
It is a problem of this game.

That's not true. Such things happen from time to time in rare cases, independently from the game. Until today, about 90.000 copies of Istanbul has been printed, and when about 20 or 30 copies got some problems, that means that about 1 of 3000 games does have such a problem. This is a usual rate for ALL games with punchboards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thygra wrote:
This is a usual rate for ALL games with punchboards.

Of course that is true.

However I don't see the problem reported on other games that I own according to the games' forum. It seems like there are quite a few people on BGG who was affected by Istanbul though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Wahl
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed AEG with basically a copy/paste of my post here.

Their response below:

Hello Jon,

I apologize for the damage to your product! We have had a handful of customers with similar problems, and as such we would be happy to send you some un-torn components. If you could give us a list of exactly what you need, and provide your mailing address, we will ship them out to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your support!

I sent them an email with the pictures requested about 5 min ago.

Great customer service response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bronswijk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
However I don't see the problem reported on other games that I own according to the games' forum.

Such problems are usual with most games. But not everybody does report such problems at BGG.

Quote:
It seems like there are quite a few people on BGG who was affected by Istanbul though.

Of course. When a game has been sold 3,000 times and 1 of them has been damaged, then only 1 person can report such a problem. When a game has been sold 90,000 times and 30 of them has been damaged, then much more people can report such a problem. But in both cases there is only a 1 : 3,000 ratio with a problem. So it is not a problem of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thygra wrote:

Such problems are usual with most games. But not everybody does report such problems at BGG.

But your logic is flawed. I am comparing reports from BGG. BGG is big enough to be a good size for a sample pool of reports.

I do agree with your second point, but popular games like Stone Age (probably even more printing than Istanbul) doesn't have any tearing reports but only complaints of the smelly cups. I personally own the Z-Man edition of Stone Age and the cup doesn't really smell that bad, but I believe it is a problem of Stone Age to have smelly cups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Watson
United States
Belle Plaine
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a WARNING about this in November 2014 and I felt like I caught some scolding, either for my own carelessness or for all-capping the warning. Just trying to help others. Istanbul is a really good game, btw!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kawlaw wrote:
I posted a WARNING about this in November 2014 and I felt like I caught some scolding, either for my own carelessness or for all-capping the warning. Just trying to help others. Istanbul is a really good game, btw!!!

Hi Evan, I read your post so I was extra careful when I punch out my game. Thanks for the post and please don't feel discouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same problem with punching out my components for Istanbul. This is problem I have had with other games (typically with certain publish types). It is very annoying when the pieces are not punched all the way through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These threads (with pictures no less) are very useful to new buyers of a game. When other users trivialize them as "typical of every game" then it is not only disingenuous but a disservice to the community.

To say that every print run of every game has an equal level of problems with incomplete punch perforations is absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
These threads (with pictures no less) are very useful to new buyers of a game. When other users trivialize them as "typical of every game" then it is not only disingenuous but a disservice to the community.

I seriously don't know why people feel we can't post about these issues on the forum. Is it because they feel that we are knocking a game that they love?

But it is what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.