Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in time for the real World Series, the Print-and-Play 2006 World Series is now available!

It should be available here at the Geek shortly, and it's already up for download at this site: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/superstarbaseball/

The package contains everything necessary to play, so even if you've never played Sports Illustrated Baseball before, give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to the file:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=19713

(Edit: This is v1.1, with the corrections.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pitcher columns were labelled wrongly, it should be "Pitch" and "Bat", not "vL" and "vR".

As a new beginner, I was confused when reading the rule doc and it took me awhile to understand/figure it out. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh!

Thanks for pointing that out, Sam. I'll try to get it fixed.

"Pitch" is on the left, "Bat" is on the right.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for putting the game together. I will try to play it in this weekend.

I have couple questions:
1. The rule in the package is not offical one, right? What is the difference?
2. How come there are "2" Pitch_Yellow_X Charts, one is basic (not included in your package) and one with injuire. Why the basic one is not used?
3. Team Defensive Rating results in Exceptional Plays, however, individual defensive rating has no direct impact on the single bat, correct? Does the offical rule have a step to "defence" the play?

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your interest, Sam.

1. The rules included are written by me, based on the original rules and a rulebook that Randy Cox wrote. I did up my own set of rules to a) avoid any copyright tangles, and b) integrate my preferred optional rules cleanly, rather than having them in a separate place. Also, I thought it would be nice to have something more modern and readable than the "Avalon Hill-ese" of the original rulebook.

Other than being (hopefully) easier to read, the only changes are clearly noted as "Optional." Most of these are quite minor; it's still the same basic game.

The largest change is the Pitcher Fatigue system, devised by Randy Cox (and modified by myself). The original game didn't have anything to prevent you from overusing a pitcher. I like how this system adds some interesting elements to managing your pitchers, within an individual game and over the course of the series.

2. Both were included in the original game. I like the possibility of having to deal with injuries throughout the series. Plus, I ran out of space! It was tough to get all the charts on 2 pages as it was, without adding another (less interesting) one.

3. Right. The impact of defense is indirect, as you state. If a player gets a hit, you don't check to see if a fielder can grab it -- he just gets a hit. The sum of the team's defensive ability determines whether or not some plays become outs (when 10-15 is rolled on the pitcher's card). There was a discussion on this recently (at the Yahoo SIBB group) where it was figured that every 9 points of defense resulted in lowering the opposing batter's average by about .003 (.0025, actually). So defense does matter, it's just not as detailed as in some baseball sims.

This is exactly like it was in the original game. One of the main criticisms of SIBB seems to be that fielding and defense is so abstracted. On the other hand, you could think of it as "streamlined." I like that it flows so smoothly and quickly.

-------

I've fixed the "Pitch" and "Bat" columns, and added a couple more notes to the package. Hopefully it'll be on the Geek soon. (Edit: It's here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=19713) Here's what I added:

Reyes is in, Marquis is out for the Cardinals. (On the official roster, that is. Marquis is still included in the set.)

Miller and Shelton are out for the Tigers. (Were never in, actually. It was rumoured they might be added to the roster, so I included them in the set.)

The Cardinals and Tigers announced their likely starters for the first four games:

STL DET
Game 1 Reyes Verlander
Game 2 Weaver Rogers
Game 3 Carpenter Robertson
Game 4 Suppan Bonderman

If you want to deviate from that, for purposes of fatigue note that Carpenter started on October 18, Suppan started on October 19.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The updated file has been uploaded, and it's in the queue to be checked by an admin now. In the meantime, it can be downloaded at:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/superstarbaseball/

Make sure to get v1.1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooww...thanks for your quick and detailed reply!!

rootbeer wrote:

The largest change is the Pitcher Fatigue system, devised by Randy Cox (and modified by myself). The original game didn't have anything to prevent you from overusing a pitcher.

After reading the rules, I have one suggestion to improve the way of the pitcher being tired:

Current rule is that as long as the stamina dice result is higher
than his Tire rating, the pitcher can complete the game (9 inings). However, in the real world the starter performance starts degrading after 6 or 7 inings (in average, except Roy H. from BlueJays ).

i.e. if the rule can add a stat. to reflect this fact, in the later inings to increase the Tire rating.
e.g. Ted L (from Blue Jays again, now you know which is my favor team)
can only stay 5 inings in average and from the chart his Tire rating is 25. i.e. starting from 6th ining the rating will be 28, 7th will be 31, 8th will be 34, 9th will be 37. (that increaing rate "3", it is just
a number I pick, we may be able to determine the better rate)

This "enforces" the manager to make a pitcher change.

Quote:

2. Both were included in the original game. I like the possibility of having to deal with injuries throughout the series. Plus, I ran out of space! It was tough to get all the charts on 2 pages as it was, without adding another (less interesting) one.

In the original game, when the basic chart (w/o injuire) is used?

Quote:

3. There was a discussion on this recently (at the Yahoo SIBB group) where it was figured that every 9 points of defense resulted in lowering the opposing batter's average by about .003 (.0025, actually). So defense does matter,

I would like to see this field defense to be added in the future release

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
After reading the rules, I have one suggestion to improve the way of the pitcher being tired:

Current rule is that as long as the stamina dice result is higher
than his Tire rating, the pitcher can complete the game (9 inings). However, in the real world the starter performance starts degrading after 6 or 7 inings (in average, except Roy H. from BlueJays ).

i.e. if the rule can add a stat. to reflect this fact, in the later inings to increase the Tire rating.
e.g. Ted L (from Blue Jays again, now you know which is my favor team)
can only stay 5 inings in average and from the chart his Tire rating is 25. i.e. starting from 6th ining the rating will be 28, 7th will be 31, 8th will be 34, 9th will be 37. (that increaing rate "3", it is just
a number I pick, we may be able to determine the better rate)

The way the Tire Ratings are set up right now, pitchers will -- on average -- get tired as they typically do in real life. For example, if a pitcher threw an average of 6.5 innings/game over the season, his Tire Rating would be 15. With 15, he'll usually last 6 or 7 innings (based on the odds of rolling <15 on these special dice), but it will be variable. Sometimes he'll last a full game, sometimes he'll get tired early. It doesn't enforce pitching changes at a rigid, pre-determined time, but over the long haul the pitcher will behave typically.

Also, when the pitcher is tired you aren't forced to remove him from the game. You can leave him in, but he won't be performing as well as he would if he were fresh.

Of course, you can play any way you'd like. Give it a try as is, and if that doesn't work for you tinker away!

ah3Dog wrote:

Er... I'm not sure, actually. I think it was just your choice. If you don't want injuries, use that chart.

ah3Dog wrote:
I would like to see this field defense to be added in the future release

I don't think I'll be making any major changes in this area, but it's probably been tackled in some manner before. I know Randy Cox had a couple different systems for "error reduction" (i.e., rating how often a fielder made errors) in his Teams of the Past and MLB 2004 sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbeer wrote:
I don't think I'll be making any major changes in this area, but it's probably been tackled in some manner before. I know Randy Cox had a couple different systems for "error reduction" (i.e., rating how often a fielder made errors) in his Teams of the Past and MLB 2004 sets.

BTW, do you have the link to download the full MLB 2004 sets
creatd by Randy Cox? I tired to find it from

http://www.tabletop-sports.com/modules.php?name=UpDownload&r...

but it was not there.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
BTW, do you have the link to download the full MLB 2004 sets
creatd by Randy Cox?

Here at the Geek:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=9909

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, Jesse. I look forward to trying the Series out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave LeLacheur caught another error: Justin Verlander (Tigers) is missing his walks. He should have BB on 22 and 26.

I'll wait a while to see if more mistakes are found before uploading a corrected version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more error found (hopefully the last!):

David Eckstein's result for 36 vR should be 1*, not 4*

I'm uploading v1.2 of the file now. It incorporates this fix, the Verlander walks, and includes a bit more information about the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
v1.2 is up now:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=22320

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:

*shudder* I really, really dislike games that attempt to force historic use of players. I have no problem with performance being diminished, as the tire rule does, but to say you must remove a player at some point just goes against my idea of what a baseball game should do. I want to manage the game, I don't want the game to manage me.

ah3Dog wrote:

The original game had no injury chart. In 1973, when the All Time All Star set came out, they added player injuries, thus altering the Yellow X chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother-in-law and I finished playing the '06 WS yesterday. The Tigers won it in 5 (Game 4 being the only one the Cardinals could win). It was an exciting Series, especially games 4 and 5. Game 5 had a 4-run inning for each team; Game 4 had (among other highlights) a successful suicide squeeze!

I might do up some session reports/boxscores later on.

I was the Cardinals, by the way. I have horrible luck with this game so far. I've also made cards for the 2002 WS (Giants-Angels -- not available for download), and I lost that one 4-0. I think I've only won twice out of about fifteen games of SIBB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.