Popular Tags: [View All]
Damian Walker
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just uploaded a much improved hnefatafl game to my hnefatafl web site. Where once there was just a virtual board, for hot-seat play against a friend, now there is a full-featured applet that will play the game against you. Features include:

A computer player that will take the part of the attackers, the defenders, or demonstrate the play of both sides.

Configurable skill level. Alter the computer player's thinking time and look-ahead according to your skill (and your patience).

A panel of options allowing you to mix and match a whole range of variant rules, so you can experiment to see what works and what doesn't.

A range of 19 different starting layouts on different sized boards, based on archaeological finds, literary sources and modern reconstructions.

On-line help so you can make best use of the features.

Click on one of the links below to come and play. Let me know if the game works for you, if you like it and what else you'd like to see added.

The hnefatafl site is here:

http://tafl.cyningstan.org.uk/

The page with the applet is here:

http://tafl.cyningstan.org.uk/applet

The applet requires Java 1.2 or better to run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet. I'll be checking that out as soon as I can find an appropriate helmet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Walker
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
Sweet. I'll be checking that out as soon as I can find an appropriate helmet.

I hope you enjoy it. There's another feature I forgot in that list above:

A move list display to record your resounding victories! (or otherwise).

Edit: as of about 2012 or 2013, you can no longer copy and paste from the move list unless you twiddle with Java's tightened security.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a few games... very slick indeed. Very well done and great fun to play! very addictive I can see I'll be revisiting this site again soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Walker
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you like it. Just out of interest, what settings did you try out? The default 7x7 game is the one I tend to play the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played some 7x7's and also a couple of the Coppergate II with enclosure victory option. Lots to choose from and lots to play so will definitely be back for more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Walker
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The default 7x7 version is my personal favourite, as it's light and quick but still rewards tactical thinking (or punishes the lack of it). I'm glad the Coppergate board is attracting attention. I haven't seen anyone try and reconstruct a game for the 15x15 board elsewhere.

Edits in red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Walker
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've upgraded the applet today, see this news article. It was missing an option to allow pieces other than the king to be captured against the central square, as is used in the Fetlar rules and in the authentic Latin rules for tablut.

The news article includes the Fetlar settings so you can get some practice in for the English National Hnefatafl Championship next weekend :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.