Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myladies, Gentlemen,

Welcome to the 24 hour contest February 2015
The basic rules-/discussion-/subscription thread can be found here.

We still have got a supporter!
Standing ovations for

Nizo
msg tools
mbmb

who offered to tip 20 for the winner of a month's contest as long as there are at least 3 submissions per month.

Also,

Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

offered a donation of 120 for the year 2015.
That is 10 price money per month - unconditionally!

WOHOOOO!!!

Last month you made fireworks sparkle in the sky. This month, something else is going to sparkle its way into the requirements. No, not vampires! But creatures of myths as well:

Fairy

Btw.: Did you know, the German term for "Fairy Tale" is "Märchen" which in turn is the diminuitive of "Mar". We can find the term "Mar" in an English expression with the same meaning: Nightmare.
So, a "Märchen" basically is a "little nightmare" (or rather a "cute nightmare" - whatever that is supposed to be).

Happy designing and kind regards,
Kai

p.s.:

In the behaviour rules (see link to basic rules thread above) I've written:
Quote:
Please create a second posting in that thread to present your creation.
Please do present your game along with a short description in a posting. The reason I ask you to do this is simple: Creating geeklist entries becomes easier for me because from time to time copy-n-pasting from PDFs produces unexpected results (such as copying only odd symbols into the clipboard ..)
Thanks a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooo... I LOVE fairy tales!

And I'm already working on a game based on a fairy tale for another contest! Snow-White and Rose-Red.

Not that it is a problem... since I have literally hundreds of fairy tales to choose from...

Now, which one to pick... I'm thinking probably something obscure but not too obscure...

Hmmm... so many good ones:

Jorinde and Joringel, The White Cat, East o' the Sun West o' the Moon, The Brown Bear of Norway, The Wonderful Birch, What the Rose did to the Cypress, The White Doe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think this one will be much tougher for me than last one. I might try straying from starting with a mechanic and then fitting the theme in to make it work, and try the other way around...

That might work better for this one for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To prevent confusion:

The requirement is fairy, not necessarily fairy tale!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've resolved to enter at least one design competition this year, and the 24 hour competitions look fun to me, and I think I can probably work with "Fairy". I guess I just need to plan a day to work on this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
To prevent confusion:

Bah! Fairies are nothing without fairy tales! How else would we know of their greatness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
schattentanz wrote:
To prevent confusion:

Bah! Fairies are nothing without fairy tales! How else would we know of their greatness?

Their heads are rather important as well Can't have fairies without heads... Well you could but there wouldn't be much to talk about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debiant wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
schattentanz wrote:
To prevent confusion:

Their heads are rather important as well Can't have fairies without heads... Well you could but there wouldn't be much to talk about.

Clearly you haven't read enough fairy tales...

Missing body parts are pretty much par for the course... yes, including heads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Villagomez
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello folks,

I am new to the forum, though I have been on the site a lot in the past year or so. A few months back I started designing by first board game, and it's going okay, but sometimes I need a break... And that's when I found this 24 hour contest!

I tried my hand at last month's theme, but I didn't get the art cranked out in time. So this month I am officially announcing my participation! (To keep the personal pressure on.) I have what I think might be a cool concept, so I'll work on it this weekend, probably Saturday, and post it here!

Thanks for hosting this; I'm pretty jazzed to get started!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome!

I started this last month only. It was quite entertaining (although a lot of work) to participate. I actually got stalled quite a lot from art last time, and I'm sure this time it will be a big challenge too. But like you I also have other major projects I'm working on, and found this to be a really nice change of pace.

Good luck with the entry, look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a first-timer here too and am really hoping that people won't worry about what is bound to be extremely rudimentary art and graphic design from me. I'm only really capable of "functional" and, on a good day, "neat". Very envious of the people who create beautiful artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek and please make sure to read and to understand the rules!

There is a little bit more to this contest than just developing a game within 24 hours

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! It's nice to see so many new people trying this out!

I love the 24 hour contests, though I don't always find time to do them (I certainly try though!)

To give a brief history of my interaction with this contest:

I started doing these contests in Nov, 2013, and I managed to make 8 games last year for 8 of the months (a mere 4 shy of my goal to submit games to all twelve 24 hour contests in a year.)

There were 2 months with themes that I didn't like, and after trying too hard the first time I ran into a theme I didn't like, I decided it wasn't worth my time to makes a game for the other month - after all, this contest should be fun, and shouldn't leave you with a game you hate so much you want to burn... (*cough*eConsumption*cough*)

The other 3 months I missed had themes I really wanted to make games for, but I just ran out of time because of things happening in real life. One of the games I ran out of time to make I'm actually working on now, another is part of my ideas list for future games, and the third I was so busy during I couldn't even think of a simple game to make.

So the ideas churned forth from this contest never go to waste.

Because of these contests, I can type up fully comprehensible rules, and format them nicely in under 2 hours. I have also streamlined my game design process down so that I know exactly what needs to be done in what order to get a game out on time. And I'm faster at art too. Though, let me be clear, this contest is about rules and playable games... not art! Art is more of a nice-to-have than something that is needed.

If you stick with it, there are some great benefits to doing these! Just getting a playable game out in 24 hours is something to be proud of!

And that is what I consider the heart of this contest - getting a playable game out without worrying too much about the details - the details will come later after the contest is over, when you look at what you did and go, "yeah, this works, but I can make it better!"

But honestly, even if I don't make a game for a month, I still love to hang out and chatting with other designers in these threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
debiant wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
schattentanz wrote:
To prevent confusion:

Clearly you haven't read enough fairy tales...

Missing body parts are pretty much par for the course... yes, including heads.

Wait... what?!? What have I been missing all these years?

This sounds like a fun theme. Perhaps, if I have time later this month I'll join in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Caroline, thanks for telling us about your experiences. This whole 24 hour challenge looks like a great way to practice and to train those muscles, and I think there are bound to be benefits to taking part. For me, having a focus and only a short period of time to worry about is a major attraction.

I have booked a day into my diary to have a go at this next week, so fingers crossed.

And huge thanks to Kai for organising the competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love this contest too.
I am very excited to see a lot of people on board.
I started entering this contest in January 2014.
I entered every single month since then.
I made a commitment, no matter what the theme.
Kai made some tough challenges, but I faced them.
I am doing every contest this year too.

Last month (5 days ago) I was so excited about my fireworks game - M80,
I kickstarted it 12 hours after I finished it.
I decided to do something crazy for the new year 2015.
It was funded in 35 hours.

The good thing is, I am promoting this contest.
Lots of people will know about this contest now.
It does not matter who wins, what matters is you make a game.
Some people may get the wrong idea about me.
I am a teacher, I love to inspire people.
I hope I inspire some of you to do the contest every month,
it is good for you!

Out of the 12 games I made in 2014,
at least half will be published this year.
I just mass printed Ninja Bowling.
I am bringing it to the game market in Tokyo in May.
I will do a quick kickstarter for my Halloween game in the summer.
Gothico will be a kickstarter for sure.

Doing this contest creates an opportunity.
Of course the game is not polished in 24 hours,
but it gives you a base to work with.

Thanks again to Kai for running this contest.
It's a wonderful thing.

Hack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And a big thank you to all you wonderful people putting your heart into this contest - or just for sticking around and chatting with the crowd here

Thank you and kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Dresser
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
I'm going to enter this contest for the first time this month. Most of my game projects start out too ambitious, and I think this contest would be helpful in forcing me to focus on what's actually achievable.

But my best day to work is going to be in the last half of the month and it's going to be hard to resist the urge to leave it until then, with all the ideas in my head. Some day next week I may just get up and decide that this is the day I'm going to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really had fun pulling of an all-nighter designing a game last month, so count me in for this month as well! And yeah, continuing the previous topic, i love the idea of this contest as well.

Hmmm, Fairies... i'm thinking kid's game, 1-2 player. I've got have a strong back story as these mythical creatures can create really nice themes. Also, it's the combo of Caroline + mythological type theme so i better make a good back-story!laugh

Edit: Just to clarify, a tooth fairy game still qualifies as a fairy game, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T hardy wrote:
Edit: Just to clarify, a tooth fairy game still qualifies as a fairy game, right?

I'm hoping so as I'm planning to go with a tooth fairy! It'll be interesting to see how different our games are, if we both go with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure it is. You "just" have to include the requirement in one way or the other, no matter how.

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Villagomez
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Alright folks, my 24 hours has elapsed! It is no where near what I wanted it to be, but it is done.

The concept comes from one of my family members. He believes that fairies are supernatural beings, but very real, and are to blame for the little things that go missing around the house. He also believes that animals can see fairies, particularly cats, and that explains why so often they seem to be staring off at something we can't see, tracking patterns in the air.

This board game is based on those beliefs, and allows each player to become a mischievous little fairy stealing items from everyone in an apartment building. So, with no further ado, here is Mischievous:

The Rules: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4nd7wlzftzfcvh/Mischievous%20Rule...
The Materials, including the board on the first page and 2 pages of cards: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvh8b05bwm7jzi3/Mischievous%20Mate...

And that is it! My first submission. Sorry for the raw-feeling card art, but let me know what you think of the board and mechanics! Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atuesuel wrote:
Alright folks, my 24 hours has elapsed! It is no where near what I wanted it to be, but it is done.

The concept comes from one of my family members. He believes that fairies are supernatural beings, but very real, and are to blame for the little things that go missing around the house. He also believes that animals can see fairies, particularly cats, and that explains why so often they seem to be staring off at something we can't see, tracking patterns in the air.

This board game is based on those beliefs, and allows each player to become a mischievous little fairy stealing items from everyone in an apartment building. So, with no further ado, here is Mischievous:

The Materials, including the board on the first page and 2 pages of cards: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvh8b05bwm7jzi3/Mischievous%20Mate...

And that is it! My first submission. Sorry for the raw-feeling card art, but let me know what you think of the board and mechanics! Thanks everyone.

nice back story. there must be an army of fairies in my place because I lose stuff 10 times a day. I have no clue what to do this month, i was leaning toward the tooth fairy as well. I have a funny tooth fairy story. i live in Taiwan, my daughter told us she put her tooth under her pillow. we forgot. she was sad in the morning saying the tooth fairy didnt come. I had to think of something on the spot. so i said it was probably because the tooth fairy is in America, she has a long way to fly. so i remembered that night, i had to go find a US dollar, so my story made sense, it worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Villagomez
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hackogames wrote:
Atuesuel wrote:

nice back story. there must be an army of fairies in my place because I lose stuff 10 times a day. I have no clue what to do this month, i was leaning toward the tooth fairy as well. I have a funny tooth fairy story. i live in Taiwan, my daughter told us she put her tooth under her pillow. we forgot. she was sad in the morning saying the tooth fairy didnt come. I had to think of something on the spot. so i said it was probably because the tooth fairy is in America, she has a long way to fly. so i remembered that night, i had to go find a US dollar, so my story made sense, it worked.

That is hilarious! Well played, amigo. That was quick thinking. I'm not sure I would have been able to cover that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright folks, I'm going to take a crack at it this month. Not sure if I can pull it off but here goes:

Pixie Ring

Number of Players: 2
Ages: 8+
Playing Time: 10-15 minutes
Mechanics: dexterity (flicking)
Components: wood and plastics discs

Players control a group of pixies that have been partying all night outside of the fairy ring. As the coming dawn approaches they must make it back to the protective ring of mushrooms…unfortunately there are a couple kobolds lurking about who love to cause trouble…

The player with the most pixies in the ring at the end of the game wins!

Starting…now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |