Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Indalecio
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just trying to assess the in-game value of the extra minis unlocked by the SGs, and the ones you can buy as an add-on.

If I pledge for Barbarian/King, I´m still getting a lot of minis out of the SGs alone. Will I be able to use all of them in these scenarios?

Likewise, if I decided to buy a set of minis (not talking heroes here, but Black Ones for instance), can I then use them in any scenario? Or do I need to buy something else to make use of them?

The idea being that I could see myself getting behind this project - if I could get a confirmation that the added stuff provided actual in-game value - rather than a purely fan-based mini showdown where you just collect stuff to collect stuff. Or just to get that tits-up mini for your own masturbatory convenience (thanks to the "artist" btw).

Anyhow, I do like minis and I am absolutely amazed by what Monolith has being pulling out so far, but I would hate to pledge for a game giving me a hundreds cool minis that I cannot use in-game. Maybe some of the hardcore fans around here could shed some light over this? I saw a thread with a scenario count, that helps quite a bit to estimate the replayability of the game, however it doesn't really tell how many of these monsters you can use in said scenarios. Any help appreciated. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monolith stated that every SG/AO overlord tile will be usable in at least one official scenario. So they all have some in game value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indalecio
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:
Monolith stated that every SG/AO overlord tile will be usable in at least one official scenario. So they all have some in game value.

Only one scenario? That's kind of limited
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well at least one. For some of them it has already been announced that there will be two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indalecio
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know if each individual scenario states which monsters are allowed to the Overlord? I mean, I don't doubt the alt. minis can replace the original sculpts, but things like the Swamp Demon, or the Black Ones? Are the base game scenarios really covering all of them?

OK let's be clear here: I´m refering to the base game, not an expansion I have to pay for.

Thanks for the intel btw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Cerra
United States
Ames
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget Monolith said there would be a toolkit/guide on creating your own scenarios. So I don't think you'll have to worry about not being able to use some of your SG figures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually know very little about how scenarios are written. Is the Pict village always Conan, Shevatis and Valeria? Probably not, since Valeria isn't in the base game. But is it "any three heroes?" Is it a variable number of heroes? Or maybe it's Conan plus two? It would be interesting to know how rigidly the scenarios are defined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indalecio
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Carmen wrote:
And don't forget Monolith said there would be a toolkit/guide on creating your own scenarios. So I don't think you'll have to worry about not being able to use some of your SG figures

Well that's hardly a bad thing, but it still means that I have 1 scenario (or 2 for some?) out of everything when these monsters can be played at the moment I open the box. Not going to be difficult or anything, but custom quests demand a hell of a lot of time and most of them end up unbalanced anyway. Metas being reluctant for playing custom quests is not that uncommon either.

So yeah, when you say that, I read: "if you fully dedicate your time to develop content for the game, only then you can use them to their full extent". Not a bad thing at all, for me custom-design is an interesting thing, but maybe I´m not interested in doing so, I mean it's not the same thing as opening a box and play a game that gives you all of these options straight of the bat? Then if you want custom stuff on top of that is icing on the cake, but the game has got to give a playable option for these minis? I just feel 1 scenario is a bit thin to say the least.

I get these scenarios retrace Conan's battles so maybe you cannot have a Swamp Demon on a pirate ship or whatever, but there doesn't seem to be enough boards to cover these environments, thus the question about having some SG/AO minis being unused for lack of space to play them?

Custom quests is cool and all, but that's a cheap way to say that all content is supported, don't you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be suggested configurations of heroes, but one interesting aspect of the game will be to try and tackle each scenario again and again with different groups of heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Morgan
United States
Shawnee
KS
flag msg tools
badge
It's Clan Mackintosh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yttrenolv wrote:
The Carmen wrote:

Well that's hardly a bad thing, but it still means that I have 1 scenario (or 2 for some?) out of everything when these monsters can be played at the moment I open the box. Not going to be difficult or anything, but custom quests demand a hell of a lot of time and most of them end up unbalanced anyway. Metas being reluctant for playing custom quests is not that uncommon either.

So yeah, when you say that, I read: "if you fully dedicate your time to devlop content for the game, only then you can use them to their full extent". Not a bad thing at all, for me custom-design is an interesting thing, but it's not the same thing as opening a box and play a game that give you all of these options straight of the bat. Then if you want custom stuff on top of that is icing on the cake, but the game gotta be complete?

/sigh - it will be complete when you get the box - complete with the ability to grow. Like your own Conan-baby. There will be at least one Monolith-designed scenario for everything you get. And, in time, Monolith will release more.

For your custom scenario concerns - Here at BGG, there's an amazing thing about game pages. They have the ability to upload files. Said files on other scenario-based boardgames utilize another feature: Thumbs, comments, and geek-gold tips to let you know which scenarios are worth downloading and which are unproven.

Unless, of course, this is a thread that's designed to be a perpectual "this is terribly wrong and forever broken!" thing. In which case, I shall ask this:

1. How many scenarios per miniature are acceptable - EXACTLY.
2. Does this apply only to Barbarian level, or do you feel this should also be applied to King Level pledges?
3. How many months delay will you wait to have all of these scenarios written and tested for each miniature?

After you lodge these answers, you should have your complaint and requirements to satisfy you fully complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indalecio
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insight Stephanie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Yttrenolv wrote:

Custom quests is cool and all, but that's a cheap way to say that all content is supported, don't you think?

"There will be fan-made custom scenarios" is a common response to this sort of query, but I am only interested in playtested content from the designer.

At the moment, I am concerned some of the characters may be underutilised. For example, I suspect the tentacles are only used in one scenario. Also, I am not sure Monolith will spend a lot of time after the Kickstarter making more scenarios for exclusive content that anyone outside the Kickstarter does not have access to.

I believe Monolith are going to announce a complete list of scenarios soon, and that should hopefully assuage any fears.

However, I would rather have one really good scenario that gets played often, rather than 10 poor ones. For example, I still play mission 1 from Claustrophobia all the time, because it is so good, and every play is a bit different.

Despite my concerns, I think there is going to be plenty of replayability in Conan, even at the barbarian level. I am interested to see that list though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
côte-petit olivier
France
CAEN
flag msg tools
mb
thereis already 2 scenarios with tentacles!

I was concerned by the same issues but the campaign book and the sg's scenarios changed my mind.

Plus I really think fan made scenarios will be great. mansion of madness or descent best ones' are fanmad; in my opinion.

With the amazing community here and there I don't fear that any beast is going to be forgotten! And each player may choose any hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Yttrenolv wrote:

"There will be fan-made custom scenarios" is a common response to this sort of query, but I am only interested in playtested content from the designer.

One of my biggest and original concerns is that they plan most scenarios to be available via their web page. I don't want to have to download scenarios, I want them nicely printed on good quality paper in an official book delivered inside the game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batav wrote:
thereis already 2 scenarios with tentacles!

I only see one listed in the stretch goals.

And there is only 1 listed in the other thread about how many scenarios you get.

Has it been confirmed the tentacles are in two scenarios?

This kind of confusion is why they need to publish that list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie KS comments wrote:
->@Monolith, do we get two scenarios for the tentacles?
Yes.

Is that official?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
Jamie KS comments wrote:
Yes.

Is that official?

Does that mean the second one is for when the "head" turns up?

Or will it be three when the "head" turns up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
côte-petit olivier
France
CAEN
flag msg tools
mb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
ampoliros wrote:
Jamie KS comments wrote:
Yes.

Is that official?

greedy man

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batav wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
ampoliros wrote:
Jamie KS comments wrote:
Yes.

Is that official?

greedy man

No. Just confused.

Like I said, one really good scenario you want to play again and again is worth ten poor ones. It would just be good to know exactly what Monolith are offering at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indalecio
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, guys.

I also share the idea of a set of scenarios covering the material they released as part of the KS, and not just leaving it for the community to sort out themselves.

Some games have very good fan-made quests, but it's very hard to achieve anything well-balanced especially in assymetrical games like these.

The tentacles are a prime example - thanks for highlighting this - as I was afraid that I had to purchase the "Kraken scenario" book separateley to make use of free SG models.

But we don't really have a definite answer to these questions, do we? I mean, we´re not far off the end of this KS..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
côte-petit olivier
France
CAEN
flag msg tools
mb
Mikademus wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Yttrenolv wrote:

One of my biggest and original concerns is that they plan most scenarios to be available via their web page. I don't want to have to download scenarios, I want them nicely printed on good quality paper in an official book delivered inside the game box.

I don't believe that the word "most" is appropriate. Some scenarios will be, that is a fact.
you seems to focus on the negative! but it may be used to had everyones comment, advices etc
I choose quality over quantity! so I take less print scenarios but awesome and playtested ones !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
côte-petit olivier
France
CAEN
flag msg tools
mb
[q="RedMonkeyBoy"

No. Just confused.

Like I said, one really good scenario you want to play again and again is worth ten poor ones. It would just be good to know exactly what Monolith are offering at the moment.
[/q]

You may use a pledge calculator. there is one made on googlesheet which calculate the number of sçenarios you are getting along your choises
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batav wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

No. Just confused.

You may use a pledge calculator. there is one made on googlesheet which calculate the number of sçenarios you are getting along your choises

Jaimie hasn't made the announcement about scenarios yet, though, so I assume that the calculator is unofficial and may be subject to change.

I will wait for the official line.

Cheers, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indalecio
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah but I´d also like to know how scenario content (monsters in particular) is regulated in this game. E.g. what it allows you to do. I get that we are getting enough scenarios to play with, but my original concern was that I don't want to be stuck with Picts/Pirates/Guards for all of these scenarios while we got a Swamp Demon, Skeletons and possible AO like Black Ones. I´m also concerned that I´ll have to buy this scenario featuring the tentacles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
côte-petit olivier
France
CAEN
flag msg tools
mb
Yttrenolv wrote:
Thanks for the input, guys.

I also share the idea of a set of scenarios covering the material they released as part of the KS, and not just leaving it for the community to sort out themselves.

Some games have very good fan-made quests, but it's very hard to achieve anything well-balanced especially in assymetrical games like these.

The tentacles are a prime example - thanks for highlighting this - as I was afraid that I had to purchase the "Kraken scenario" book separateley to make use of free SG models.

But we don't really have a definite answer to these questions, do we? I mean, we´re not far off the end of this KS..

I think therevisva misunderstanding here

I agree, the ks' page is not as cristal clear as it should be.
but it was said officialy that each minis is going to be use (at least once) in the add-on campaign.
plus some scenarios are added to some sg's.
plus each game boards comes with several scenarios

but again, I agree on the lake of intel on the ks' page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.