Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Colony Phase if you can't feed all of your survivors you spend zero food and add a starvation token. Which removes one moral per token. Can these tokens ever be removed or do they stay in play till the end of the game?

Secondly, we drew a crisis card which had the penalty of adding 3 zombies at two locations. The locations were already full but no survivors were present in the resolution phases, so does nothing happen? As we decided not to waste our resources on this particular crisis, as we felt if there was on one there, on effect would occur.

Lastly, is there any limit to how many items a single survivor can equip, for example multiple sniper rifles, guns etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hunger tokens cannot be removed.
Nothing happens when a spot overruns at which there are no survivors. Just make sure the location IS full for future travelers to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No limit on equipped items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
In the Colony Phase if you can't feed all of your survivors you spend zero food and add a starvation token. Which removes one moral per token. Can these tokens ever be removed or do they stay in play till the end of the game?

Secondly, we drew a crisis card which had the penalty of adding 3 zombies at two locations. The locations were already full but no survivors were present in the resolution phases, so does nothing happen? As we decided not to waste our resources on this particular crisis, as we felt if there was on one there, on effect would occur.

Lastly, is there any limit to how many items a single survivor can equip, for example multiple sniper rifles, guns etc?

1) Starvation tokens are never removed. So if you starve a second time, morale will then drop 2 because you now have two tokens on the board. Typically, starving once isn't too bad and saves you some food cards. Starving twice is more of a risk though.

2) If there are no people in the overrun location then nothing happens. This can also happen in situations where people make a lot of noise searching but then leave before the end of a round.

3) There is no limit to how many cards you can have in your hand or equipped to a character. Of course, if you equipped a character with 4 different items it can be bad if they die outside the colony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ronda
United States
flag msg tools
Mools wrote:

3) There is no limit to how many cards you can have in your hand or equipped to a character. Of course, if you equipped a character with 4 different items it can be bad if they die outside the colony.

Unless you have Sparky, like my friend in one of our playthroughs, who is rarely in immediate danger. Sparky had the shotgun, the mop, the flashlight, and the lighter equipped at the same time. What a talented dog!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul, I'm interested in the topic of good rulebook writing, so I'd like to find out why you think the answers to these questions weren't covered in the rules.

All three of your questions have to do with things that are not in the rulebook because they are not rules.

1. You don't remove starvation tokens because there is no rule to remove them.

2. When zombies overrun a location and there are no survivors there, nothing happens because the rules do not state that anything happens.

3. There is no limit to how many items a survivor can equip because there is no rule about item limits.

Maybe these omissions can lead to confusion because players might think they missed the rule. Is it generally better to state the "negatives" in the rulebook?

For example. would it have been better if the rules had stated:

1. When there is not enough food to feed all the Colonists, leave all the food there. Add a starvation token and then decrease Morale by 1 for each starvation token present. Starvation tokens are never removed.

2. When you add a zombie to a location and there is no spot available to place it, an overrun occurs. Remove the zombie and kill the survivor at that location with the lowest influence. If there are no survivors present, remove the zombie and nothing else happens.

3. To equip a survivor, take an item with the word "Equip" on it from your hand and place it on or near the survivor. There is no limit to the number of items you can equip to one survivor.

Do people consider this type of rule writing to be better? Leaving out the clarifying "null" sentences is more minimal and will keep the rulebook smaller. But without them, it may create confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Q2 is stated in the rules, on p13 in the Adding Zombies section:

"If there are no survivors at the colony remove the zombie that would have been placed without further effect."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, much clearer that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
2. When zombies overrun a location and there are no survivors there, nothing happens because the rules do not state that anything happens.

I think they do imply that something happens.

The "Adding Zombies" section on p. 13 of the rulebook says that you kill a survivor at the colony if an entrance is overrun, and then later says that non-colony locations follow the same rules except that they have only one entrance. On my first reading I took this to mean that you kill a survivor at the colony whenever any non-colony location is overrun.

There's also the "Killing Survivors" section on p. 14, which says:
Dead of Winter > Killing Survivors wrote:
When zombies overrun a location entrance a survivor is killed.

No qualifications (such as "at that location") there, and no exceptions. So again, I took this to mean that any overrun automatically meant the loss of a survivor, even if none were present at the overrun location.

I agree that the game makes more sense with your interpretation, and that's how I've been playing it. But I do think the rules aren't as clear on this point as they could be.

randomlife wrote:
For example. would it have been better if the rules had stated:...

2. When you add a zombie to a location and there is no spot available to place it, an overrun occurs. Remove the zombie and kill the survivor at that location with the lowest influence. If there are no survivors present, remove the zombie and nothing else happens.

I've emphasised what I think is the key point in your rewritten version: the rules in the book should make it clearer that an overrun only kills survivors present at the overrun location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.