Hive» Forums » Variants

Subject: More possibilities for the spider... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarcophilus Harrisii

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have come to agree that the spider needs something to differentiate it’s self from being just a crappy ant. Think chess: how would you feel if the rook could move just like a bishop but had to move 3 spaces and exactly 3 spaces. Worthless.

Some of the suggestions have been interesting but too complex I think. I like the simplicity of the rules so any change should be as slight a tweak as possible.

I think the easiest fix would be to allow the spider to break the “slip in to a surrounded on 5 sides space rule”. When 5 sides of a hex has pieces around it you get a hollow that can only be reached by a beetle over the top of another piece or a grasshopper must jump in. This also occurs when sections of the hive almost meet. Allowing a spider to slip into or past those spaces would give it an ability different than what the ant can do. I’ve also come across this situation enough times that the ability could be useful but not over powered as the 3 move of the spider would require planning to pull off.

My other idea would be to make the spider a pure defensive piece. Change the rules so beetles and/or grasshoppers can’t go on top of or over a spider. I like the idea of a blocking piece but it very well could weaken the beetle and grass hopper too much. The beetle could go around so it would just slow the beetle down but could completely block a grass hopper. Maybe just prevent the beetle.

In any case the two tweaks together would make the spider grossly overpowered and should not be considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarcophilus Harrisii

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmb
I had not seen that version of the spider web only more complex versions. Good to see it's been thought about...

As to the first idea...Huh? I don't see how it ends in weakened Soldier-Ant .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarcophilus Harrisii

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think your grasping at straws here...

The spider would not be able to get in to a hollow surrounded on six sides. Only a hollow made by a one piece gap. ANY unit has both the ability to immobilize and/or close off a hex, the ant just has an easier time of it. As to breaking the one hive rule, I don't see it beyond what a grasshopper can do.

I understand your problem with breaking the general movement rules of Hive but any change to any unit is likely to weaken all other units a little. I personally think that is fine if it means giving the spider some reason for existing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.