Hide
18 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Can rebels ever die? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norman Rivero
msg tools

I'm not sure about the whole rest mechanic. The rebel players could just totally ignore the imperials when trying to complete an objective and just end each turn with a rest to wipe out any damage.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Resting is an action, and to do so every turn would take up half your actions for the entire game. You would never finish your objective on time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Example: An E Web Engineer can throw more hits on someone than they are capable of removing by a single rest.

Try this strategy, and see how it works out for you.

Enjoy this ace of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Hillegas
msg tools
mbmb
Later in the campaign, the Imperial can wound a character with one deployment card if he's playing his cards right. Besides, as others have mentioned, constantly resting costs precious actions. The Rebels' most valuable assets against the Empire is their speed and their double attacks. Resting negates both of those. Furthermore, if you can stun a Hero, resting becomes particularly shitty because they have to waste a whole round to do it. If they're using strain on top of that, it won't get them far. I also thought resting was broken until I saw how easy it is to get around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
If rebels use half of their actions (rest) towards not finishing their objective, they are not going to reach their objective.

Answer to your subject: rebels can never die. First the get wounded, which is not that serious, and then they withdraw, which is a bummer, and a little more serious. But the objective is what matters, not how many rebels there are at the end of the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this strategy is never going to work. the rebels would defenitely lose, if they rested every turn.

not rarely I caused 7 damage with one shot (mostly with upraded troops). it does not hapen often, but it does. how are you ever going to heal up that much damage and still reach your objective?

especially, when you play with 4 heroes, they are wounded pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:
Even in the earlier Missions I have found that it's possible to hit a Hero harder than he can rest back up in one Rest Action.

Sure it is, there are lots of ways it can happen. Unless the rebels have a white die and Dodge...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Rebels kill someone adjacent to Royal Guards, so the guards get focus and fight back when they activate next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another question, can a hero rest twice in a turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a hero can rest twice in one activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Tobias Hatting
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
One rest action is only 4-5 damage recovered at max. That's easy to do with a single deployment card.
A squad of stormtroopers, one being focused can easily deal that much damage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if you don't know what missions are coming up, I understand your question. The reality is, most of the missions have time constraints through one method or another in place (I can't really be more specific as it'll spoil the fun).

As others above have pointed out, you won't win as the Rebels spending actions on healing as your base strategy. There probably are a couple of missions where it may work, but good luck working that out before you have played them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
www.nine2fivestudios.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In missions where the Imp player is on the clock, double resting is SUPER annoying. Under Siege and Viper's Den come to mind. However, it's not invincible. I would recommend that you have the players play with 4 heroes. This way 1 activation token isn't passed around as a free double heal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually all of the rebels died in our finale Last Stand despite winning all missions prior (but I think one or two died during the whole campaign).

And... I can also recommend playing 4 heroes with 1 or 2 players and thus having a 2 or 3 player setup total (one IP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
(but I think one or two died during the whole campaign).

Do you mean the characters were removed from the game, or they just Withdrew from some missions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, they "withdraw"... don't be nit-picky on the nomenclature. It is an effective player elimination (for one mission) that happens sometimes, but does. Your team is still there and you can still play by guiding them or looking out and will be back next mission.

I think... all of the heroes died in last stand ... as there was no follow up mission.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Vader executed them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
LOL, they "withdraw"... don't be nit-picky on the nomenclature. It is an effective player elimination (for one mission) that happens sometimes, but does.

I don't think the Star Wars universe have resurrection, so I would like to keep the distinction. At least until the finale.

Yes, I have defeated Jyn twice in a game, thus first wounding her to get Threat from the Valueable Target agenda, then making her withdraw from the mission. The player got to control Luke for the rest of the mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
So, if you don't know what missions are coming up, I understand your question. The reality is, most of the missions have time constraints through one method or another in place (I can't really be more specific as it'll spoil the fun).

As others above have pointed out, you won't win as the Rebels spending actions on healing as your base strategy. There probably are a couple of missions where it may work, but good luck working that out before you have played them.

Ok, I get it. I played a mission last night where the Rebels want the timer to tick down, and ALL they have to do is stand somewhere and not get killed, so healing would be a good strategy. But in the case where they need to get somewhere and do something, if they keep stopping to heal, they are wasting time and likely to let the rounds run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.