flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggest a wargame meeting (or close to) these requirements:

* for 3+ player
* with cards
* with dices
* with miniatures
* 2+ ways of achieving victory
* balansed randomness (not everything random)
* not too simple, but also not too complicated rules
* has some new, innovative gameplay elements
* some rpg elements, including different powers for each player
* original, interesting setting
* good looking artwork, miniatures, etc

Game should NOT have:

* cr*ppy design/artwork, unhandy or bad looking tokens/miniatures, etc
* too complicated rules or too unclear rules
* boring setting without any innovations

Also:

* cost of the game doesn't matter
* size of the game doesn't matter
* preferable languages - english, german

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick scan over my shelf -I have only one game that fits your requiremts:

Good old Fortress America.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/99

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
TI3

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12493

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While neither fits ALL your requirements, I suggest VIKTORY II or Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd look at twilight imperium 3 or War of the Ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Legzdins
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

(eker)

A quick scan over my shelf -I have only one game that fits your requiremts:

Good old Fortress America.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/99

Looks good, thx

Quote:

Very masteroforion'ish looking game. Isn't it pretty complicated ?

Quote:
War of the Ring

Already got it

Quote:
While neither fits ALL your requirements, I suggest VIKTORY II or Nexus Ops.

I can't find anything special in Viktory II.
Nexus Ops looks interesting, but those colours... lol, now i know which game can be played with lights out Though that also makes game's design more innovative

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Semigall wrote:
I can't find anything special in Viktory II.

There isn't much special about it - except smooth, dynamic gameplay.

VIKTORY II and Nexus Ops have one thing in common: they both encourage attacks; players who play defensively or "turtle" will lose. I prefer this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few suggestions, which admittedly don't meet all of your (very exacting) requirements, but meet most:

The old Shogun/Samurai Swords game from MB: miniatures, cards, good looking, RPG (you need to build and protect your daimyos), dice, balanced randomness, innovative (one of the first games to give you money that you need to spend at the start of the round across a variety of conflicting resources including turn order, new armies, castle builds, plus the evil/cool ninja), one of the first (and best) of the shogun period Japanese setting games. Where it doesn't fit: doesn't have more than one way of winning, although there are various ways of achieving it, while there daimyos grow at different rates they all grow in the same way. While it has cards, they're really onyla reciord of area control thet don't srive the actions as the do in War of the Ring. Out of print, but you say that money's no object (please send me some), so log onto Bay and get bidding.

AH's Successors has dice, cards (used to drive actions), balanced randomness (you control different leaders/factions each game), ticks the interesting setting/good looks/nice complexity level boxes. All it lacks is miniatures, but the stabd-up leades and cardboard army markers are chunky, good looking and easy to use. Think of it as a mutliplayer Hannibal and you'll be 70% of the way there. As with Shogun, it's ouit of print, so get onto eBay and flex that plastic.

War of the Ring: the perfect fit (except that it's really a two-player game, and you've already got it).

Buck Rogers Battle for 25th Centurty: ticks all of the boxes, I think. RPG elements are light (different leader bonuses), but the rest fits: miniatures, innovative (the planetary elements move relative to each other, so you need to judge when to move to planet X, as you won't always be able to), cards, good looks, pleny of meat (with optional rules for those who want to beef it up some more). OOP again, so you'll need to look for it.

I could be wrong, but I suspect this is the best you'll get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
A few suggestions, which admittedly don't meet all of your (very exacting) requirements, but meet most:

The old Shogun/Samurai Swords game from MB: miniatures, cards, good looking, RPG (you need to build and protect your daimyos), dice, balanced randomness, innovative (one of the first games to give you money that you need to spend at the start of the round across a variety of conflicting resources including turn order, new armies, castle builds, plus the evil/cool ninja), one of the first (and best) of the shogun period Japanese setting games. Where it doesn't fit: doesn't have more than one way of winning, although there are various ways of achieving it, while there daimyos grow at different rates they all grow in the same way. While it has cards, they're really onyla reciord of area control thet don't srive the actions as the do in War of the Ring. Out of print, but you say that money's no object (please send me some), so log onto Bay and get bidding.

AH's Successors has dice, cards (used to drive actions), balanced randomness (you control different leaders/factions each game), ticks the interesting setting/good looks/nice complexity level boxes. All it lacks is miniatures, but the stabd-up leades and cardboard army markers are chunky, good looking and easy to use. Think of it as a mutliplayer Hannibal and you'll be 70% of the way there. As with Shogun, it's ouit of print, so get onto eBay and flex that plastic.

War of the Ring: the perfect fit (except that it's really a two-player game, and you've already got it).

Buck Rogers Battle for 25th Centurty: ticks all of the boxes, I think. RPG elements are light (different leader bonuses), but the rest fits: miniatures, innovative (the planetary elements move relative to each other, so you need to judge when to move to planet X, as you won't always be able to), cards, good looks, pleny of meat (with optional rules for those who want to beef it up some more). OOP again, so you'll need to look for it.

I could be wrong, but I suspect this is the best you'll get.

PS apologies for not spellchecking this entry ... it's late and I need to go to bed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Legzdins
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Yes, Shogun does look good enough

Quote:

They don't use miniatures, but paper figures... hate it, paper thingies usually end up in glass of booze and get pretty unusable...

Quote:

Oh, they even have planet movement... is it well (and simply) done ? It's hard to tell by screenshots and the look of board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
How about these?

Pirates of the Spanish Main arrrh
HeroClix sauron
HorrorClix goo

Some miniatures gaming without painting figs.

I know a lot of people that use the Hero Clix figs with the SuperSystem (second edition) rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Legzdins
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Pirates of the Spanish Main arrrh

Wov, 3d landscape, impressive Though costly also, but that isn't a problem, fortunately

Quote:
Hero Clix sauron

It's for 2 players shake

Quote:
Horror Clix goo

There isn't writen how much players can play it... Though otherwise it looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Two things for you to consider:

1. Subject Matter. Pick an area you are interested in . . .

2. Do you want some actual history in teh game, or just the patina? Some of the games mentioned above have about as much historical information in them as a TV Sitcom. Depends what is important to you.

Remember, people, above, are rcommending games they like . . .your tastes may differ (and probably do). Which is why answering the above 2 questions will help you out.

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BergBROG wrote:

2. Do you want some actual history in teh game, or just the patina? Some of the games mentioned above have about as much historical information in them as a TV Sitcom. Depends what is important to you.

RHB

I mentioned Hero Clix/Pirates/Horror Clix because Bruno did not list historical as a requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Semigall wrote:

Quote:
Hero Clix

It's for 2 players shake

Quote:
Horror Clix

There isn't writen how much players can play it... Though otherwise it looks good.

Usually miniatures games can support any number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Legzdins
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Subject Matter. Pick an area you are interested in . . .

There's no specific subject. I represent here myself and my gaming group, which would be together 16 people (it'll be even more later). We have many different tastes and interests, so mainly i'm just searching for a game that is really exciting, which could interest different kind of people, starting from 14 y.o. childish girls to 30 old hardcore gamer men.

Quote:

Doesn't matter. In my gaming group there are people who like historic stuff very much and those, who are more fascinated with fantasy. So it basicly just needs to be a good game, as i will be able to gather players for any setting

Quote:
Remember, people, above, are rcommending games they like . . .your tastes may differ (and probably do). Which is why answering the above 2 questions will help you out.

As my gaming group is big enough, tastes really do differ. But that just means more games can be suitable.

And i, myself, am not just so attracted to the game's setting, but with the multiplayer board game atmosphere itself, the intrigue and diplomacy that goes on, the different characters of people which play large role in their advancment in game, etc

Quote:
Usually miniatures games can support any number of players.

Ok, then i'll check the rules when i have bit more spare time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for the delay in replying, I've been on holiday.

Quote:

They don't use miniatures, but paper figures... hate it, paper thingies usually end up in glass of booze and get pretty unusable...

The pieces are thick, good-quality card, but they won't be improved by being immersed in a glass of beer if that's your habit!

Quote:

Oh, they even have planet movement... is it well (and simply) done ? It's hard to tell by screenshots and the look of board.

I've had to dig this one out to take a look....the board represents the inner planets of the solar system. There is a central solar system panel on which each planet's orbit around the sun acts as a movement track for that planet's marker. Each round the planets all move one space along their respective tracks. However, the planets' orbits have differing numbers of movement spaces, meaning the inner planets (which have a smaller number of spaces in their orbit) orbit the sun more quickly than those farther from the sun.

The surface of each planet is expanded on the outer panels of the board, on which player's pieces on the surface of each planet are deployed. The idea is to control the planets by moving your pieces there and battling any other player's pieces already resident. Your pieces can move from one plant's orbit to an adjacent one on the solar display, but to get best advantage you need to do this when the planets are in alignment - otherwise you'll waste time chugging round the orbit tracks trying to catch up with or intercept the planets.

There is also a "Mars elevator" (or similar) for more rapid movement involving (I'm guessing here...) Mars.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I can get you most of what you want in a wargame - but ALL is too much (but hey you know that, I guess).

So, no figs, no cards:

Napoleon. It's a lovely block game by Colombia games. Can play with 2 or 3. Super!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm and you did say 3+, so for more than 3, how about Sword of Rome or Successors or Empires of the Ancient World (which has cards but is a Weuro)?

And hey (I'm on a roll now), if you want figs and 3 plus, forget Memoir. Samurai Swords is better - BUT, (big but), it's OOP. Oh I like Memoir nicely enough, but I think SS is a bit more interesting. Both are on the light edge of wargaming. SS is freer than Memoir. You can be more creative.

And if you want a twist, how about the new Shogun (Queen) or Imperial - not your standard wargames - they're Weuros, but I believe that they are going to be great fun - and it's nice to be in on something that's new! Of course Shogun is Wallenstein revisited, and Wallenstein is a superb game.

If you want depth then Pax Romana and Struggle of Empires are VERY good. BUT they are both tough - the former has long rules that may put lots of folks off. Those rules are VERY intuitive and easy to read and there is a Quick Start, but if you guys aren't used to "serious" wargames it might be too much. I'd recommend it for a next step after whatever you go for, though.

SoE is wonderful, but those rules, whilst short, are not easy to get a hold of. Frankly you need FAQs. Without them, or someone who knows the game, you will founder. They are not well written...rather an understatement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, CoE - good call!

It has most of what you want.

It is not as good as SoE, which it is based upon. I think most folks who've played both would tell you that, BUT it is easier to learn and easier on the eye!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed your requirements and I must admit that it sounds a lot like the game that I am currently developing, Frontline General.

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/24802

For more information, and a preview of some visuals, take a look at the website and read the first two newsletters in the News - Archives section. The November issue, which explains scale as it relates to this game in detail, also explains how miniatures are incorporated. This issue was just released to subscribers via e-mail, and will be posted on the site in about a week.

http://www.frontlinegeneral.com

Thanks, and good luck with your search!

Byron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.