Subject: this vs imperial assault rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jouni Rayndeer
Germany
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
My playgroup plays a lot of imperial assault. So my question is: Does IA replace level 7 omega? I am afraid that if I buy Level 7, they scratch the same itch. Any opinions about this issue from people who have played both games? Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too funny --- some of us were talking about this just the other week. Take a look at the thread called "Has anyone reskinned this to fantasy yet?" in the L7:OP area below this one.

Personally, I love Star Wars, but I prefer L7:OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miran Kramar
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games and feel they're different enough to keep their place in my collection. Also since they're both about the same scale, I'm considering to try making some custom scenarios/map setups by combining different parts from both games (for example using IA map tiles to build a map to play OP on)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think L7OP is the better game for one-off games. The mechanics are better, it flows better in general, there's never a frustrating "doesn't matter what I do I lose" feeling that I sometimes get with IA. And it's hard to beat the Adrenaline mechanic. Having said that, IA has a much better campaign system than L7OP, which may fit your group better.

Oh, and Star Wars.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your one-off vs. campaign mode. Not sure which I like better, the adrenaline, or the back-and-forth of IA. The back-and-forth certainly does influence some of the choices you'd make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berentski wrote:
I agree with your one-off vs. campaign mode. Not sure which I like better, the adrenaline, or the back-and-forth of IA. The back-and-forth certainly does influence some of the choices you'd make.

It's a very interesting change from Doom/Descent, allowing the 'evil' player to activate after each good player. It adds such an interesting dynamic to the game, and a lot more interesting choices. No longer just attack whichever 'monster', now you decide which one is the bigger threat, the one who is near dead but already activated, or the one not yet activated. And same thing for Imperial, do you activate the group who is almost dead so you don't lose them, or the one closer to wounding the hero, etc. It works well in both campaign and skirmish.

Oh, and I forgot to add, if you're playing IA in Skirmish Mode, it plays very well, almost better than L7OP, but it is a different style of game (i.e. 1v1), so hard to compare apples to apples.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will chime in here. I have played both of these, as well as Descent 1 and 2.

Here is the thing, both are good games. So this is a near coin toss.

I think IA is the better game, but take that with a grain of salt.

I feel like OP takes a long time for what it is. That is my primary knock against it. Games can take three hours. Line of sight is wonky but I can deal with it. Another knock against it, in my mind, is the small variety of monsters that the overlord can use. I am not a huge fan of the campaign, I don't see a lot of replay in it.

I think playing as the overlord in OP is pretty fun. The adrenaline system is Very cool in its give and take. I also like the variety that you get from the dashboard powers. I like the room cards as well, and those add variety as well.

On the hero side, the kit cards and upgrades are a lot of fun. There are a ton of ways to play the characters.

Imperial assault has a much more interesting campaign, but the scenarios can sometimes be brutally one sided. They are short though, so there is that. Character building is every bit as fun as what you get in OP, but you get the added bonus of swag as you go through the campaign. That is both in mission rewards and credits towards purchase of gear.

Regarding the scenario issue... Some of those can be devastating and disheartening. As stated previously, IA can have moments of, "what's the point?" OP won't do that.

In the end, the theme and the speed of the IA system appeals to me. The character growth is also a lot of fun. The scenarios are not totally bothering me because the theme generally tends to make the mission timer mechanism not bother me so much. That said, some of the missions are total duds.

So, it is nearly a coin toss, but theme wins for IA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have both, they scratch a different itch. Personally I prefer IA due to a RPG-ish feeling you get while playing the campaign- and getting shiny new stuff as you finish the scenarios is probably the most fun part of the game and that is severely lacking in OP >,>

Oh, and as Shnar so aptly said:

And, Star Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell brings up a good point. I love L7OP, but the monster variety is somewhat limited, and after a few plays you start to feel it. With just the core box, IA has greater variety, and they have such a huge property to mine for future expansions and trust me when I say they will milk this property (and I praise them for doing it), so IA will have a lot more on-going support than L7OP. They've already announced the Tournament Kits for Skirmish Mode, and they're *cough* probably planning an expansion release schedule similar to Descent (i.e. alternating small/big box expansions).

So I suppose if I had to choose, IA would get my dollars. It's Star Wars. But I still love the system of L7OP. I wonder if I could morph it to work in IA...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, expansion support will also help make IA Better for the long run, especially for the Skirmish mode.

I may not have stressed this enough, but as BP says, the new stuff you can gain and buy as part of the scenario sets in IA is a lot of fun. That is also a large part of why IA feels just slightly better to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jouni Rayndeer
Germany
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all for the answers. You got my "epic fail'ie sense" tickeling and I am going to pass L7OP and focus on other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. L7OP is a good/great game in its own right though. If you ever get the opportunity, it is a lot of fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like the Adrenaline transfer system in L7. I would go with L7 if you don't want to be faced with purchasing add-ons and expansions every 6 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would look as expansions as a positive. A way to add to the game play in a positive manner. Expansions make the game better. They create variability and add a ton to replay.

If the expansions bother you, you could always not buy them, which leaves the 2 base games right back on level ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see support from the designer/publisher like a decent fix for LOS, an expansion and some equipment balancing.

I sold my game because it of its flaws and am a bit sad that it was not improved. Instant rebuy for me if an expansion will come and fix all basic problems.

I'm not into Star Wars so no IA for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thread! I had the same question.

Omega Protocol has been high on my wish list for a long time, but now Imperial Assault is crowding in on it's territory. They're close enough in my opinion, I don't feel like I need both.

From what I've read here, it seems like Imperial Assault will win over primarily because of the constant support it will get. The time factor plays a small part also. I'm more likely to get Imperial Assault played more often.

Thanks for all of the great feedback in here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.