Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BattleLore» Forums » News

Subject: The BattleLore "Primer" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, my FLGS handed out some glossy booklets (entitled "Primer") for BattleLore that DoW is giving away through distributors. I haven't read through it yet, but it gives you a LOT of information and color photos about the game: what the miniatures and boards look like up close. Explanations about what 'Lore' is and how it's used. How the game plays and how the War Council is applied. All sorts of neat stuff in an 8.5x11 booklet that runs at about a dozen pages. Almost like a rule book itself! Of course, nearly all of this information is out there online already, but here it it's been collected into one glossy, official document from DoW.

It looks like DoW took a lot of careful notes from their experience with Richard Borg and Memoir: '44 and applied all the lessons learned to BattleLore. If you're seriously interested in BattleLore and want something that spells it all out for you in a booklet you can hold, go check out a FLGS where DoW games are sold and ask about for the Battle Lore "Primer." It'll be a real nice keepsake if the game is anything like a hit. Heck, you may want one handy to let onlookers read it while you and an opponent play the game undisturbed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the same primer that can be downloaded from the official DoW site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:

It looks like DoW took a lot of careful notes from their experience with Richard Borg and Memoir: '44 and applied all the lessons learned to BattleLore.

This makes sense given that Richard Borg also designed Battlelore.

At first glance Battlelore mechanics appear to contain some elements of Borg's Command and Colors:Ancients with some Dreamblade-esque bits. The dice are keyed to unit color rather than unit type (ie. you score hits on red units, green units etc rather than hits on Infantry, Cavalry what have you) The lore mechanic reminds me of blades in Dreamblade, just a bit.

I'm not implying that Borg plagarized anything, rather just that when I saw the lore mechanic Dreamblade popped into my head.

I pre-ordered a copy of this today from my FLGS.

I can't wait to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
As I have access to the same FLGS's that you do, Brady, uh... which one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

Got mine at Great Hall Games. Hard by the Chronicle and the other freebie mags and notices by the door...

Ken, I guess you can download it from DoW. But it's still nice to be able to simply pick one up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
joebelanger wrote:

Got mine at Great Hall Games. Hard by the Chronicle and the other freebie mags and notices by the door...

Ken, I guess you can download it from DoW. But it's still nice to be able to simply pick one up.

That's true, having a paper copy is better than reading it on a screen or printing it on your printer. I just wanted to make sure it is the same primer in case some people cannot pick one up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the same primer indeed, just printed.
eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Erich wrote:
It is the same primer indeed, just printed.
eric

I read it and thought what a great idea for a game promo. Hope other companies do documents like this. Came with a wealth of info and made me excited for the game. Hope you guys post a PDF version of the rules soon on your site. Be nice to give them a read before the game comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the website challenged (like me), the primer is on the battlelore.com site, on the "Introduction" page. It took me some time to find it, because I had been to the Introduction page before and the primer wasn't there.

Suggestion to DoW: Put a link to the primer directly on the Battlelore home page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.