Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not much into gambling (slot machines are just boring video games IMO), but I think I understand some of thrill after playing War of 1812.

Each battle has a strong push-your-luck element. You roll one d6 for each combat point you've got, and each "6" is a hit. This means hits are relatively rare, and battles are calibrated to have gradual attrition. Each hit I score gives me a rush, and I guess that's what keeps slot players going. Meanwhile, the other guy is hitting me, but the whole thing is sort of in slow-motion because the hits are infrequent. That means you've got time to pull out if battle goes against you. Retreat allows pursuit fire, but it's calibrated to have a high chance of a little damage (50% hit, but 1 die per block, not 1 die per pt).

Add in the fact that the defender can retreat w/o revealing their blocks, and you get some great bluffing elements. I'm attacked by 3 blocks against a single 4-pt block. How strong are those blocks? Maybe they're all 1 pt, in which case I outnumber him, but probably not. Should I stick and fight or retreat and take pursuit fire?

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Good times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Londini
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention the 3 columns into which attackers/defenders are arranged (assuming 3 units are present)...adds the whole push-your-luck to "do I stack heavy on one side and try to out-flank? Or, do I evenly distribute? And what IS he going to do?"

Ditto on the Good Times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably because its unit density is too low, War of 1812 doesn't have the three-columns setup (that's in Napoleon, Sam Grant/Bobby Lee, and Quebec 1759 - maybe some others, but I can't think of any just now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Another opportunity for "poker-facing" a bit is to play the "Simo-move" rule where instead of alternating turns you write down movements simultaneously, a la Diplomacy. Good eye fakes around the board, unless you wear sunglasses, allows for additional opportunities to bluff, such as looking at Detroit, but actually writing down an attack on Kingston.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Another opportunity for "poker-facing" a bit is to play the "Simo-move" rule where instead of alternating turns you write down movements simultaneously, a la Diplomacy. Good eye fakes around the board, unless you wear sunglasses, allows for additional opportunities to bluff, such as looking at Detroit, but actually writing down an attack on Kingston.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.