Robert S
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interrogation crisis card. Can you choose a Cylon leader even though he does not have loyalty card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
By rule, you can choose a CL if they are a human player. CLs are human players when they are infiltrating.

If they are not infiltrating, they are not a human player so they may not be targeted.

Next, BSG largely uses this rule when applying effects: "Read the effects. Apply as much as you can."

In this instance, you can target the CL if they are infiltrating. However, you cannot look at their loyalty card since they do not have one.

Therefore, you've done all that you can. So, the last clause has no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I know I've been spouting Do All You Can lately, but there is a bit of an exception with loyalty cards. You must choose a legal target other than yourself if possible.

For example, we know that if the current player is the Admrial, and the crisis card says "The current player looks at one randomly loyalty card belonging to the President or Admrial," that he must choose the President (he may not wish to, for example, if playing with Conflicted Loyalties and all the Cylons are revealed, since he might find a Final Five card).

If you can refresh my poor memory about the text of the crisis card (just the part in question, don't need the whole crisis card), I could make a better ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Eh, I know I've been spouting Do All You Can lately, but there is a bit of an exception with loyalty cards. You must choose a legal target other than yourself if possible.

For example, we know that if the current player is the Admrial, and the crisis card says "The current player looks at one randomly loyalty card belonging to the President or Admrial," that he must choose the President (he may not wish to, for example, if playing with Conflicted Loyalties and all the Cylons are revealed, since he might find a Final Five card).

If you can refresh my poor memory about the text of the crisis card (just the part in question, don't need the whole crisis card), I could make a better ruling.

I think the Admiral may choose any player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd still say you have to choose a human with a loyalty card. You couldn't choose a revealed Cylon... a Cylon leader, even if he counts as human, has no loyalty cards. since someone finally got the full text posted, we know this is a MAY, so this is irrelevant.

I'll poke Zach. There was another one I wanted to clarify recently anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's said somewhere explicitly that Motives can not be targeted with effects concerning loyalty cards. And on the other side of the coin, I don't think you can target a character without loyalty cards with an effect requiring a target having loyalty cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also technically possible for a human to have no face-down loyalty cards, if he is dealt two Personal Goals (one one + a Sympathizer card) and reveals the Goal(s) at distance 7+. I would also not allow this player to be chosen when the crisis requires looking at a loyalty card. Note that some crises use the word "May," in which case, you can obviously skip the inspection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert S
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Admiral chooses another player to send to "Sickbay." The Admiral may then look at 1 of that character's Loyalty Cards at random.

So we cannot choose a Cylon Leader who is a human player. Is this the official ruling from FFG? Add it to the FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You follow the first direction, well, first. Which is choose a player to send to Sickbay, which could be an infiltrating Cylon Leader.

If a Cylon Leader was chosen, then there is no Loyalty card to look at (Motives or an Agenda card do not count). So that would be the end of it.
If a human player was chosen, then the Admiral has the option of looking at a random loyalty card of that player, or doing nothing.

Note that you cannot choose a player already in Sickbay or in the Brig to send to Sickbay, unless that would exclude everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We already have a script. There needs to be a chart/list of all the text effects, and whether or not a target is targetable with no effect, or not a valid target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert S
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there is no official FFG ruling, I guess it can go either way. I'm with InfoCynic and a1bert but my game group prefer the "Read the effects. Apply as much as you can." rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have poked zach, I'll let you all know when he replies.

Having the full text now, there is no problem with choosing a Cylon leader for the first effect, because it says MAY look at a loyalty card.

This is why you should always quote a crisis/quorum/mutiny card when referring to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
digicube wrote:
Since there is no official FFG ruling, I guess it can go either way. I'm with InfoCynic and a1bert but my game group prefer the "Read the effects. Apply as much as you can." rule.

The card does not target a player with a loyalty card, so only part of my advice apply. (The part applies where you can't look at the Motive cards interchangibly with loyalty cards.) See Infocynic's response above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert S
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulings are in the Daybreak master Q&A thread, which is where I always post new rulings first. Re: Daybreak Unofficial FAQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, having seen the card, there's no question that you can choose a Cylon Leader - it's worded as sending them to Sickbay as the primary effect; checking a Loyalty card as an optional bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.