• [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Been around too long to still be hot, familiarity breeds contempt or, in this case, apathy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the only reason it is there is because it is the example being used by the BGG usage survey that is going on currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Catan, but it's still fairly new to me. I only discovered it due to BGG. It's in my hot list, but now I rarely play it without the Cities and Knights expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan may still be selling and getting played, but there are plenty of other games that are "trending" and much higher up on the gamer radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
Go ahead, give me one good reason.

Plenty of other games do what it does better.

(Hey, I still like it, but why would it be "hot?" It's for the most part a known commodity at this point.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because BGG users think that a game that sells 1000 copies in its lifetime from being a 5 minute wonder on Kickstarter is a hotter game than one that is time tested and popular. It's the whole hipster movement except in board game form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldar Closer
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:

For example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
paedia wrote:
Because the only reason it is there is because it is the example being used by the BGG usage survey that is going on currently.

This is actually what I was fishing for. I just feel kinda dumb everytime I ask the question of why a particular game is on the hotness list. So I decided to go about it this way and maybe stir the pot a bit.

Tell me more about this usage survey. What's going on there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
paedia wrote:

This is actually what I was fishing for. I just feel kinda dumb everytime I ask the question of why a particular game is on the hotness list. So I decided to go about it this way and maybe stir the pot a bit.

On the front page, in the announcements section, is a thread that takes you to a survey that will help the admins with a coming redesign. Settlers is the game page they use as an example, so a bunch of people have likely loaded it.

Pretty long, but will be useful. And you get a microbadge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
paedia wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:
paedia wrote:

On the front page, in the announcements section, is a thread that takes you to a survey that will help the admins with a coming redesign. Settlers is the game page they use as an example, so a bunch of people have likely loaded it.

Pretty long, but will be useful. And you get a microbadge!

Thanks! I'll go check it out. Who can say 'no' to a free microbadge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldarest wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

For example?

Well, Starfarers of Catan for starters, but I was talking more broadly about the resources -> VPs model that Catan pioneered and later Euros adopted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Eldarest wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

For example?

Well, Starfarers of Catan for starters, but I was talking more broadly about the resources -> VPs model that Catan pioneered and later Euros adopted.

For me, nothing does a better job of being a light intro Euro that my non-gamer friends can be sucked into playing and enjoying. It's why it's still in my collection even though I'm not very interested in playing as a general thing (meaning, when I have experienced players available).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
Eldarest wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

For example?

For me, nothing does a better job of being a light intro Euro that my non-gamer friends can be sucked into playing and enjoying. It's why it's still in my collection even though I'm not very interested in playing as a general thing (meaning, when I have experienced players available).
For intro euros, I whip out Aquadukt. Half an hour or so, and rules can be explained in 7 minutes or so. Plus, the d20 usually serves as their intro dice with sides of not exactly 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
skutsch wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
Eldarest wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

For example?

For intro euros, I whip out Aquadukt. Half an hour or so, and rules can be explained in 7 minutes or so. Plus, the d20 usually serves as their intro dice with sides of not exactly 6.

Never played it, but it's almost a full point lower in rating than Catan. Just glancing at the images, it doesn't seem as appealing visually. But to each his own, of course. Still, since I already have Catan as my intro Euro game, there's no need for me to find another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
skutsch wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
Eldarest wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

For example?

Never played it, but it's almost a full point lower in rating than Catan. Just glancing at the images, it doesn't seem as appealing visually. But to each his own, of course. Still, since I already have Catan as my intro Euro game, there's no need for me to find another.
Well, if BGG ratings take precedence, then I'll point out how Agricola is a full point higher than Settlers. I think all 3 of those games more or less deserve their ratings (I'd rate Aquadukt +0.40, while giving Catan about a 7.1, but each their own here too ), but I'm not going to say Agricola is necessarily better than Settlers as a "light intro Euro". Settlers does some stuff better than Aquadukt, while true of the converse. Settlers can get frustrating, even if you coach/guide newbies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
skutsch wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
skutsch wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
Eldarest wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

For example?

Well, if BGG ratings take precedence, then I'll point out how Agricola is a full point higher than Settlers. I think all 3 of those games more or less deserve their ratings (I'd rate Aquadukt +0.40, while giving Catan about a 7.1, but each their own here too ), but I'm not going to say Agricola is necessarily better than Settlers as a "light intro Euro". Settlers does some stuff better than Aquadukt, while true of the converse. Settlers can get frustrating, even if you coach/guide newbies.
Just to be argumentative I have to say… You're calling Agricola a light intro Euro?!? It is WAY harder than Catan. Each turn you have 2+ people who can choose from 10+ things to do in a complex economic engine. In Catan you don't have to worry about starving! What do you consider a medium weight Euro if Agricola is light?

(I do totally agree that Agricola is a better game than Catan; my own ratings put it a 9 with Settlers at 7.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the game is an overemphasised gateway game...except people don't realise there is more beyond Catan. I was in the Catan rut for years and most of my friends from college never got out of it. People realise Catan is better than Monopoly but refuse to try any other game out of some primal fear that they could be disappointed. So Catan becomes their "best game ever" because they haven't tried anything beyond it. Even a Catan expansion is sometimes too much to hope for from these people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I have Starfarers, its good, but overall I prefer normal Catan. The cards in Starfarers can be fun but can also be tedious. Regular Catan's modularity is just great.

I still don't think anything does what Catan does better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldarest wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

For example?

Catan is great, but I prefer Archipelago and now Deus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wescott
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the game has little strategy and too much randomness in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it's the monopoly of gamer's games. Sure it can be fun sometimes. Even enjoyable occasionally but I'd still rather play 95% of collection over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan might be a gateway to serious gaming, but there are probably hundreds of better games a serious gamer could share with casual players, from fillers to light one hour games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Eldarest wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

For example?

If Settlers of Catan were just about converting resources to VPs I'd like it a lot less. What you build creates a board presence, which is something that most contemporary Euros are sorely lacking. The VPs are something that come naturally from doing the things you want to do. It isn't a game to 100 that someone wins by 3, because a couple of times he made a marginally better move.

I know a guy who says, "if you like Catan, The Castles of Burgundy does the same thing better." And every time it annoys me, because the only thing the games really share is hexagons... but in Castles of Burgundy you're on your own separate little islands!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan is a game I still have an addiction to after I haven't pulled it out for long stretches. Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.