Popular Tags: [View All]
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Each stock price card has charts on it to show how the stock price will change with different book values. Is that based on some formula, or is it all arbitrary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
sparr0 wrote:
Each stock price card has charts on it to show how the stock price will change with different book values. Is that based on some formula, or is it all arbitrary?

Formula!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Formula!
Can you describe/share it? I was hoping to find it in the PBF spreadsheet but I got half a dozen cross-sheet references in and got lost.

This will make the data-entry task of reproducing the cards significantly more palatable, if I don't actually have to transcribe all of the charts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's because it depends on no. of shares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, it's if the book value is greater than or equal to the no of shares time the share price you're going to. So, for example, The Star has 2 shares and a value of $13. If it's $24-25, it goes up 1. 26 and over, goes up by 2. $22-23, down 1. $21 and under, down 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you elaborate further? I don't see where all of those numbers come from.

If the star has 2 shares and a share price of $13, then its shares are worth $26. I think that means that the share price goes up if the book value is $26, and the share price goes down if the book value is $25. But where does the double-up or double-down threshold come from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So on our spreadsheet, you'd see:

0 --
22 -
24 +
26 ++

But the Star is actually at 16. That can either go up to 18 or down to 15, so the numbers shake out:

0 --
30 -
32 +
36 ++
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if it's greater than or equal to 36 (18*2) then it goes up 2 slots to $20.

If it's GTOET 32 (16*2), and didn't go up by 2, it goes up 1 to $18.

If it's GTOET 30 (15*2), and didn't go up by 1 or 2, it goes down 1 to $15.

If it doesn't do any of those, it goes down 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of my confusion was that there is no stay-the-same option. In the same way that not having a year 0 screws up astronomers, that was screwing up my attempts to map the stock changes to the comparison of total stock value to book value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, messed me up at first too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to compute stock market values and their changes

The man's thoughts on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.