Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know how true gamers (myself included) personalize their games and add things to make games more exciting and colorful. With this in mind, I am a bit confused by the photos of Commands and Colors here on the Geek. Does the game come stock with plastic figures/miniatures, or does it use flat tokens/chits to represent the units?

Does this answer also apply to the expansions that go with the game?

While I am here, since this is a R. Borg game, is it much like Battle Cry or Memoir 44? It does look similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C:Ancients comes with wood blocks that put stickers on, similar to what the Columbia block games have (Hammer of the Scots, etc.). No plastic figures.

Yes, the game is similar to Battle Cry and Memoir '44, but has its own unique aspects. Check the forums for the game, there is a lot of information there.

--Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response- it clears up my confusion. I will do further reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll find a ton of words about "converting" the game to figures, cross referencing with various ancients minies systems and yadda yadda.

And you'll find a few folks firmly pleased that it came with the blocks it did instead of plastic figures, and feeling that it's a much better, more interesting game than either Mem 44 or BC.

But the pics of figures are pretty. Especially if someone else did the painting.

If you really want to be confused, check out a game called "Vive L' Empereur," made by the Italians by taking BC and adapting and modifying it for Napoleonic period fighting. The game comes with stand up cardboard pictures that fit into plastic stands, but aside from one "ad" photo, you won't see anything of the original in that section-- nothing but Nap minies all over the place. This site, at least, has some pics of the original game being played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing like placing figures from different time periods into a game that has no figures to begin with to cause confusion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one of those that likes the blocks. They are easier to move around the battlefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.