Popular Tags: TI [+] Walk-Through [+] [View All]
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a web site that presents a complete walk-through of a three-player game. It can be used as an example for learning how the game is played.

Please have a look: http://www.preeminent.org/steve/games/ti3/ti3demo/

Let me know if I made any big mistakes.

- Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I read, it looks great!

Stephan, you're obviously not getting enough TI3 table time.

I feel your pain and longing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
pretty impressive tutorial... I will recommend that our TI newbies have a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That was a fun read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the nice words.

Actually, I've played the game about twice a month now for the past few months, except when I haven't played any games at all. That feels like a pretty good rate for TI-3.

Truth is, I wanted to force myself to get clearer on the rules. And the tutorial gave me an opportunity to learn some new Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) techniques as well as the technical experience of setting up Apache server-side-includes on both my OS X development system and on the web site itself. So I've learned alot as a benefit of the exercise.

And, I really think it's an awesome game and want to make a contribution to helping it get played by more people.

I'm looking forward to the expansion this December!

- Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work!

I'm scheduled to play TI3 sight unseen (except having read the rules) in a few weeks. I think every gamer can agree that reading rules is one thing, but seeing game play is another thing entirely.

Posts like yours are BGG at its best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing post. Must have taken a lot of time to put that together. Thank you for sharing your masterpiece!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Stephan, thanks so much for putting time and effort to this website, you have done an exellent job in both graphic design and rule explaining.

Thank you very much again for you work,
Nate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Liu
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is AWESOME!!!

Makes me want to play it right away. I'll have to get my friends to read this, and maybe we can try it out. But this sure is a long game, just reading the walk through took me almost 2Hrs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephan - great work! Quick question - I'm still learning the rules, and perhaps I've missed something - but doesn't purple have a fighter that's not supported by a Carrier or Space Dock at this point in the game?

http://www.preeminent.org/steve/games/ti3/ti3demo/3-player/r...

(The system NW of purple's home system is the one I'm wondering about).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are absolutely correct. In fact I spotted this error in the next round of the game and made a note about it in the tutorial. See this page:

http://www.preeminent.org/steve/games/ti3/ti3demo/3-player/r...

I found that not making mistakes while playing this game virtually while creating this tutorial was very difficult. The challenges were compounded by the constant stopping and resuming of the virtual game because of the substantial amount of time involved in documenting a live game, and the constant context switches required by having to both stop and document every move and switch point-of-view for each player.

What makes fixing errors like this one really difficult is that the whole game, in some cases, must be "unwound" to the point of error and resumed. That often meant that finding an error would cause all intermediate graphics and tutorial pages had to be recreated. I ended up fixing a few like that when they were caught early enough. Some "bugs" were found after having created 10 or more pages later.

So I often found myself publishing a "correction" note later in the tutorial when an error was found. Now, to be frank about it, this kind of oversight also happens in real face-to-face games too, just not as easily since there is usually more than one vigilant player in a real game.

Thanks for the feedback. Even with the occasional mistakes, I have found the response to be very positive. Writing the tutorial had three objectives for me:

1. Learn more about how to play the game properly. I do wish I would have used the "Transfer Action" somewhere in the tutorial, however.
2. Learn a lot more about the use of CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) when creating web pages. This tutorial makes heavy use of CSS for content management and navigation features.
3. Learn how to configure and use SSI (Server Side Includes) both during develpment and deployment. It was cool learning how to do this on my OS X development workstation and on the web server where the pages are deployed.

The last 2 objectives were very technical in nature of course.

And I really do love playing this game and wanted to do my part to further evangelize the game and encourage the curious to give it a try. Once upon a time I used to shy away from longer games but TI-3 (and a few others) have taught me that I really enjoy the deeper experience of playing some games that take 2 to 4 hours.

- Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Goodwin
United States
Grayslake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great tutorial, Steve! I only wish you had played one more turn! All those pretty fleets never got to pound on each other....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to make a comment here about the tutorial.

It's not almost 2 years after I published the tutorial. And it's still being used. The game itself has really evolved. In my own world this game has now hit the table an incredible 41 times. We've gotten comfortable using many of the expansion features, and I love the orange plastic pieces. Our game play has been almost exclusively to use the Age of Empires official variant and the new Imperial II card from the expansion.

But the truth is that we've only played it once this year. There have been a lot of interruptions in our regular gaming habits and not much of any gaming happened for a big part of the year. And we've been enjoying some newer games recently.

But my point in making a comment here is not about how much the game has fallen below my radar but rather that it's amazing that people are still quite focused on this tutorial. I've gotten 2 e-mails just this week from different readers having found "bugs" or errors in what I had written. That's amazing. I want to thank readers who have taken the time to carefully walk through the tutorial and reported errors to me.

When errors are reported there's little more I can do than just add a note explaining the error. See the Edit History: http://www.preeminent.org/steve/games/ti3/ti3demo/3-player/h...

However, it's just so cool that this tool is still being used by our BGG community. Even though I personally have not played TI-3 much lately, and when I have it's been a variant that is not documented in the tutorial, it remains a "10" on my games list.

- Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Panara
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
«Quando non c'è energia non c'è colore, non c'è forma, non c'è vita» (Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio)
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx Steve! For both the 2- as well as the 3-player tutorial!

Made me love the game kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thanks! I've had this for a while, been looking forward to getting it to the table... I think your tutorial has pushed it that little bit closer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Fröberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
Seize the Road
badge
For Captain Hammer!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this tutorial was really good. It seems to cover most of what can happen in the game. Including the errors is great, cause our group will probably make some of them.

We'll play our first game on Saturday. Can't wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really nicely done. My only problem is I know people with the same names used in the example and I can't imagine them ever playing TI3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
This is really nicely done. My only problem is I know people with the same names used in the example and I can't imagine them ever playing TI3

The 3 names in the tutorial are actually my wife, stepson, and me. Our family loves this game and used to play it quite often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm literally coming across this Tutorial nearly 4.5 years after it was posted, and by golly...awesomeness.

I just got the game and am looking forward to learning it with a couple of buddies of mine, potentially, just two of us, up to four folks playing. I understand that 6 is best, but for time-sake, it may only be feasible for two to three of us.

One thing I'm noticing by reading through the rules, it reminds me of an old, old, old PC game called "Alpha Centauri." Not an exact replica, but similar. I'm very excited about this game. Should be on my door step Friday morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah just picked up TI3 @ ORIGINS 2011 and the tutorial is indispensible!!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for creating this tutorial. Combined with a reading of the rules, it helped me figure out 98% of the game before sitting down with other players and trying to teach them.

Coincidentally, I recently picked up Washington's War, which includes 2 rounds of play detailed. I wish more complex games like TI3 included tutorials for those who don't frequent the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fairbanks
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
Taco Taco
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was excellent I got this game to the table this past week and nobody I gamed with had played this before. This really helped me understand all the little nuances of the rules before we got going. I think I only had to pull the rule book out twice to clarify something when we played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Rignell
Sweden
Örebro
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the site still up?
Me and three comrades are planning to play this game, where two of them are new to the game.

If this site is not up, ar there any other good sites to which canteach this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The site is still up.

http://www.preeminent.org/steve/games/ti3/ti3demo/

- Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.