Dan Baden
United States
Berkeley Lake
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
So far, the only way to get this is to buy Sid Meier's Civilization Chrolicles computer game. In this set you get Civ 1, 2, 3 and 4 and all the expansions for 1, 2,and 3. It is pricy ($69), but only $20 more than buying Civ 4 on its own. Anyway, as part of the collection you also get this game. I am a die-hard civ fan and needed Civ 4, so this game was just gravy.

The game consists of large and small cards representing resources, plots of land, technology, population, buildings, Great Wonders and armies. You start with four "plots" of land that produce either 2 units of commerce, production or food, or one unit of two types (i.e. 1 food and 1 commerce). You also start with one population to place on one of these plots. Each unit of population lets you collect one additional resource from the plot each turn. Lastly, you start with four or more play cards. These include the buildings, armies, wonders and additional cards for resources. On your turn you collect resources, spend production on buildings or wonders from your hand, buy more population with food or technology with commerce. You can then attack your adjacent opponents by laying down any number of army cards from their hand (chariots, swordsmen, spearmen or catapults). If a catapult is used, it forceds the defender to return a walls building to their hand. If the defender still has another walls building, they can force the attacker to return one army card to their hand. Next the defender can play any army cards to counter the attacker cards. This follows a Rock/Paper/Sissors system. Any attacker cards that are still around either steal a population from the defender or force a building card back into the defender's hand. Lastly, you draw new cards. The game ends when all the tech cards have been bought (15 or so). Population, tech and wonders all are worth one victory point, and there are 3 or 4 methods to settle ties. An interesting twist is that each plot will only hold one building, unless you have 3 population on the plot or own the engineering tech.

First off, the cards are really pretty and have a good feel to them. The game is only loosly based on the computer game, but Civ fans will appreciate the effort. The game runs long (1 1/2 hrs or so) and is fairly random. The technologies are not well balanced and since a new tech is revealed whenever one is bought, you may spend all your commerce on a weak tech only to reveal the uber tech for your opponent. Also, it is difficult to determine if the effects of the cards are one time only or usable every turn. Additionally, the costs for new population and plots goes up for each new one that you buy, but there is not an easy way to keep track of what it will cost for the next unit. This is really bad for population, where you may have bought three, but stolen two from your opponent, so is the next one bought at the fourth or the sixth level price?

Bottom line, it can be an OK game with some rules clarifications and tweaks, but will not become a big hit with anyone other than a die-hard Sid Meier fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Re: It's pretty and free, what else do you want?"

Gameplay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Johnson
msg tools
Sorry that the rule for buying Population was vague. The manual says "Buying the first Population Card for a Plot costs 6 Food, the second 8 Food, the third 10, and so on." What we probably should have written was "any one Plot". In other words, the first Population for every Plot you own is 6 Food. Thus, it'll cost you 6+8+10 Food to be able to construct 2 Buildings on any one Plot but adding the first Population to a Plot always costs 6 Food. And, yes, captured Population is counted. So if a Plot has 1 Population and you steal an extra 2 Population for it (so that it now has 3), the next Population for that specific Plot will cost 12 Food.

Apologies for the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam R. Wood
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs... I play videogames, which I think is far superior an addiction than any of those other ones.
mbmbmbmbmb
My questions (which strike me as rather basic, sadly):

1) What happens if the Play deck is exhausted before all techs are purchased? There's no contingency in the rules for this. I haven't yet played the game (I'll remedy that tonight assuming I get these questions answered), but given the massive card flow involved [which I like, by the way] I suspect it's likely to happen. My instinct would be to shuffle the Discard Pile and turn it over to create a new Play deck, but when to do it (as soon as the deck empties or not until someone needs to draw a card) remains a variable. Another option is to simply call the end of the game and count up Victory Points then and there, and this may actually be what's intended for all I know, but that also needs a timing call (the same as the former, AND whether the player that causes the game to end this way gets to finish the turn or not). Even if the odds of the deck emptying are low, there should be a rule for it. [Incidentally, I'm assuming the resource cards are intended merely as counters and that there's no limit to the actual resources a player can stockpile, even if the game doesn't have the cards to support everyone's totals.]

2) If a player spends a combination of Bonus Resource cards that provide more total resources than needed for what is purchased with them, does that player get change? Or are the extra resources wasted? For example, say I have no food stockpiled, but I hold a 3-Food and two 2-Food cards and I buy a Population card for a Plot that doesn't yet have one (which costs six Food). The cards total 7 - there's no way to get exactly 6 from them. It's enough, but what happens to the extra one? Is it lost, or do I get to keep it in my resource pool?

Let me go on record as saying that I would not have purchased the Chronicles collection if it didn't come with this card game. 2K Games were geniuses in coming up with that marketing idea. The cards are pretty but a bit flimsy; I hope the game doesn't wear out too quickly. The booklet detailing the design process was wonderful - thanks for sharing that. It looks like I'll enjoy playing it very much, and I'll be very happy to give it a try just as soon as the rules are disambiguated. - ZM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam R. Wood
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs... I play videogames, which I think is far superior an addiction than any of those other ones.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogbreath wrote:
...since a new tech is revealed whenever one is bought, you may spend all your commerce on a weak tech only to reveal the uber tech for your opponent.

I think the strategy there is clear - don't spend all your Commerce if there's a chance of that happening. Since purchased techs are immediately replaced, and there's no limit to how many may be bought on a turn, keeping enough Commerce until you can buy two techs will allow you to grab the uber-tech right after revealing it if it comes up. Once I figure out which techs are the good ones, that's what I'd be doing.

At any rate, it's a playstyle choice, not a game design issue. - ZM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Johnson
msg tools
1) When you have dealt gone through all the cards in the Play Deck, you do reshuffle the discard pile and go through them again.

2) There is no change that you get back from Bonus Resource cards. In practice, you will almost always have resources stockpiled so that it is not an issue. It never came up during testing, for example.

Hope you enjoy... sorry for ambiguity within the ruleset!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Soren,

Do you know if it will be sold without the software at some point?

Thanks.

- Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogbreath wrote:
It's pretty and free

So where do I get my free copy? I have already paid for all four Civ games, so paying another $69 doesn't sound free to me. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Soren,

We haven't met, but I just wanted to tell you that your innovations in Civ IV were genius! Perhaps the best PC game of all time.

The way that religion, great people, and civics add depth and flavor to the Civ experience while fitting right into the gameplay is so elegant.

Amazing job. Really amazing.

Glenn Drover

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Leveille
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So where do I get my free copy? I have already paid for all four Civ games, so paying another $69 doesn't sound free to me

Yeah, it seems to me that the market for this game is all of us folks who have already purchased everything in the series. I'm not shelling out $80 (Canadian) for product I've purchased already just for a card game (though i am admittedly a bit interested in the card game).

Do they just want to milk more money out of their die-hard fans?? Man, I started with Civ I on my 386. I've bought every incarnation of Civ except the Test Of Time nonsense (how Sid-loyal can you get). Heck, I even bought SimGolf because his name was on it.

So please, for all of you fans out there (who you know damn well already own Civ 4 plus expansion), please release this silly little game to the public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Janousek
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree. When you've had every CIV game and expansion since CIV 1, not to mention Alpha Centauri and that silly game from Activision that never seemed to worked well, you don't want to pay $70 for a card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klages
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my set reasonably cheap at Future Shop after Christmas. $49 for the set--was actually cheaper than just buying Civ4 alone... Haven't had a chance to play it yet though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bernard
msg tools
First off: I love this game, played twice and I think it's well think and the minor issues people have with it aren't enough to waste my fun. Anyway it's more fun than the real board game which is long and complicated (altough a must for every fan that have time to put in).

My question to anyone who can help me: I played with my brother and we think differently about 1 rule specificaly... Here's it is: The player draws 4 cards from the Play Deck and then places 2 cards from his or her hand into the Discard Pile.

My brother thinks: You pick-up four cards and discard any two cards from the new four cards and the cards you already have in your hands. So basically you can keep all 4 cards you just pick up as long as you discard another 2 from your hands.

I think: You pick 4 cards and from these cards only you must discard 2. Too bad is none of them or all of them is appealling to you...

Conclusion: The rule doesn't specify what they mean from "his or her hand" so I need your advices on it. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bernard
msg tools
Another question: When you attack someone and you're left with 1 attacker at the end. This attacker happens to steal population and destroy a building. My question is: Do I execute both or choose between stealing a population or destroying a building ?

That's all, just need clarifications. Hoping someone will answer me fast !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you read the rules carefully, the logical interpretation is that you get both effects if both are specified, and that you can indeed draw four and discard two cards not from those four. The instructions just don't spell it out with examples as a larger budget game would.

Very enjoyable game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bernard
msg tools
shake Thanks it does help me to get someone input but as you said it, the rules don't spell it out so basically it's up to people's interpretation to decide what they do. Anyway we'll play as we enjoy it, this way we'll be happy.

To answer previous questions as how to get the game without buying Sid Meiers Chronicles: Try Ebay... There game isn't available all the time but in 2 weeks I managed to get one for less than 15$ bucks including shipping which is worth it to my eyes.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question:

Does the Colossus make you immune to attack for 2 turns, or does it give you a permanent bonus wherein 2 successful attackers never take their effect on your plot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bernard
msg tools
Immunity for 2 turns only. Or else someone would fake 2 attacks to scrap your immunity !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. And can population be removed from one plot to another plot of your own at any time during your turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bernard
msg tools
No it can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogbreath wrote:
So far, the only way to get this is to buy Sid Meier's Civilization Chrolicles computer game. In this set you get Civ 1, 2, 3 and 4 and all the expansions for 1, 2,and 3. It is pricy ($69)

Ouch! I got it for $40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Johnson
msg tools
You should try out the game Kingdoms at www.strategystation.com. It's inspired by the original Civ:TCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.