United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The War of Northern Agression

(aka my first game of For the People)

The War of Northern Agression was a shameful incident in our continent's history, but it was a crucial step on the road to the modern multipolar North America. The Southern States had exercised their entirely constitutional right to secede from the USA, but the Northern States, led by the fiery demagogue Abraham Lincoln, resisted with force. Tens of Thousands of Americans would die for their grandiose dreams.

The war began slowly. Some states had not declared for either side at the outset. By the end of 1861 West Virginia had joined the 'Union' and Kentucky and Missouri had joined the Confederacy. The Confederate forces in the East adopted a defensive strategy, retreating to gather around Richmond, the initial Confederate capital. The Union advanced into the void, with General Mclellan leading the Army of the Potomac almost to Richmond's gates. Confederate cavarly harassed his supplies and he stopped where he was to allow another Union army to come from West Virginia. This army, bizarrely named the "Army of tne Cumberland, was within a few days march of Richmond as 1862 began.

The cause of tne South was saved by one man, Robert.E.Lee. Gathering an army in North Carolina, he, aided by the redoubtable cavalry leader Forrest, repeatedly defeated the much larger Union forces, whose policy of never giving an inch of ground without fighting proved costly in men and morale. By the Summer of 1862 the Union's armies had been chased back to Manassas. However, a solitary victory served as an opportunity for Lincoln to make the infamous Emancipation Proclamation, declaring all the human property of the South 'free'.

During the Fall of 1862 the Union finally began to develop some momentum in the West, while Lee made a circuitous attack on the Union Capital, Washington D.C. Although he entered the city, and destroyed a Union army he could not secure it because his lines of comunnication had been cut, so he returned to Virginia.

In the course of 1863 the Union developed a viable strategy under General Grant, who replaced Mcleellan in overall command and in the Army of the Potomac. Mcllellan died to a stray bullet some weeks later. First they attacked into Missouri and Kentucky, causing Lee to go West to defend his flank, where he won his usual string of victories. Then they revived their offensive in Virginia, pushing "On to Richmond" in the apparent beleif that they could end the war. The Confederate capital fell, and the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia was destroyed.

Yet tne Confederacy lived on. The government fled to Little Rock in Arkansas (Still an important city in Greater Texas), where a great fort had been built earlier, effectively preventing the Union from taking the city from any direction save the south. The Confederacy also shuddered under the blows of the callous Union Blockade, which reached its height at this time.

Lee returned to Virginia in time to preserve the state from conquest, but meanwhile Missouri fell. A new Army of Tenessee defended Kentucky from the Northerners, destroying another Union army. Lee then broke out across West Virginia, captured Pittsburgh and turned West, sacking Columbus Ohio. The Union reacted with lethargy to this threat to its people, and Lee had reaced Springfield Illinois before they cut his supplies.

Meanwhile they took Virginia and Kentucky and four Union armies advanced on Tenesse as 1864 began. Oddly, they then decided to attack North Carolina instead, composing a fifth force of army size which they divided into corps. General "Stonewall" Jackson was promoted to command of a new Confederate Army to defend the Carolinas, which he accompolished easily against each corps commander in turn. Lee's Army retraced its steps and emerged in Western Virginia, while the Army of the Tenessee destroyed one Union army but could not prevent Grant from capturing Nashville.

The Northern States had been fighting for four years. They were weary of the bloodshed and the strife, and there was no sign of the South collapsing, as had been predicted so often by their warmongering leadership. As 1864 ended they sued for peace, an end to the agony. President Lincoln lost his election and was shot some months later by a patriot, John Wilkes Booth. The rest is history...

[I was playing the Confederacy, my friend Dave the Union. He conceded in Summer 1864, since he was very likely to be under 50 SW at the end of the fall. The above account is meant to be colourful and is in no way a statement of support for the Slaveholder]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice AAR...an election victory is always impressive.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou. What does AAR mean??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Thankyou. What does AAR mean??

After Action Report. It't the CSW version of a session report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm, I like it. Not sure how if it works for eurogames though.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euro games do not usually attempt to create alternate narrative history. Hence the verbage session report where what happened is what is important. Whereas many AARs, as this one does, retell history. My preference, but certainly not a majority view.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair comment. Another thing is that, while I can remember most of the play in a Euro game, when a game gets as long as this my grasp on the details of rolls and card play gets hazy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Goad
United States
Farmington
Missouri
flag msg tools
[I was playing the Confederacy, my friend Dave the Union. He conceded in Summer 1864, since he was very likely to be under 50 SW at the end of the fall. The above account is meant to be colourful and is in no way a statement of support for the Slaveholder]

Great AAR! ... No need for the Political Correctness though after all, the North did get their use of slaves earlier (in cases, still during the war ) in American history which has been for the most part hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.