16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Scoring Methods. Cost vs Convenience? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casper Creedy
msg tools
Hi All,

I'm in the final stages of design (Prototype completed, and play-tested a large number of times) and I've reached a block in my mind.

Basically the scoring process in my game starts at 100 pts, and the players compete to lose all these points. So basically the range goes from 100 down to 0.

Here lies my dilemma. Until now, I've been using paper, with names at the top, and just dropping points as they're scored. Works pretty well, but will mean including a small pad with the game. Essentially this will be a limited resource, but everyone has access to paper anyway so...

What I'd 'like' to do, is have a score counter included. something like 3 dials with 0-9 on each, or a twisting cylinder, but I'm aware that this would increase production cost.

Currently production cost is a set of 64 mini cards, so pretty minimal, is it worth looking at score counters? or sticking with an included pad of paper?

Cheers
Cas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit fiddly but I think the scoring method for Star Realms is kind of an elegant, low cost, low space solution.

Players start with 50 health and lose when they are reduced to 0. Each player has three cards with 20 on one side and 10 on the other and six cards with 5 on one side and 1 on the other.

By taking, discarding and flipping cards, players can record any score between 90 and 0.

So, to go from 100 to 0 you could record the scores you need by adding ten cards per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DicingWithDearth wrote:
It's a bit fiddly but I think the scoring method for Star Realms is kind of an elegant, low cost, low space solution.

Players start with 50 health and lose when they are reduced to 0. Each player has three cards with 20 on one side and 10 on the other and six cards with 5 on one side and 1 on the other.

By taking, discarding and flipping cards, players can record any score between 90 and 0.

So, to go from 100 to 0 you could record the scores you need by adding ten cards per player.

Conversely, the fact that they're cards made the game feel really difficult to play for me, prompting the use of apps for tracking score.

I feel like they needed tokens. Of course, that's extra logistics.

The best system is one that lets a player keep components that track score, like Netrunner's agendas, Cutthroat Cavern's monsters.

Is it worth the extra logistics for tokens? It would really depend on your game, what the rest of the component looks like, what the target marketing is. Hard to say without seeing anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Creedy
msg tools
You're right, I should give a little more background.

The basis of the game is to complete basic electronic circuits. Each wire removing one charge from a battery, Bulbs removing two, and resistors removing 4. Charge isnt removed until the circuit is completed back to a battery pack. Currently favouring cards rather than tiles, because of cost and ease of transport. Looks like this when in play.

My thoughts for score keeper would be either a 3-part cylinder, twisted to show from 000 to 999, or a score track from 100 down to 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, as you add cards to the circuitry, you get score?

That's a tough one.

The twisty stuff you're talking about would probably be not cheap to produce. I'd maybe stay away from assembled moving parts, unless someone knows better.

Score track sounds like the most economical way. Or two tracks of 0 to 9 and 0 to 9 - making two digits of counting up to 99.

Tokens would be best though, or taking cards to represent score. Your scoring model seems to have too many permutations of score for cards though.

Am I correct in saying that because players are removing charge, the total score in the game will never exceed 100? (ie start from 100 and each player takes bits from the pool of 100 throughout the game?)

A token pool would be nice. But probably expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Creedy
msg tools
Whilst there are additional battery packs, its Incredibly unlikely that power will ever exceed 100, so max on the scoretrack will only need to be 100. Using a score track isnt a bad idea, but it would also increase the size of the box, which was my other concern. Currently its a deck of cards and small notepad which puts it into micro-game size (pocket size) But, I think I'm going to have to move away from that.

Having three (or maybe two) tracks of 0-9 might work, but I'm not sure that it'd be immediately obvious what someones score was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer a score tack as it allows you to easily see where you are against the other players, e.g. Alhambra which is basicaly a bunch of cards and tiles plus a board to keep the score on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Horton
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not try something along the lines of a cribbage board? There are plenty of folding boards that you can get for under $5, and if that is the retail, then it should cost less per unit to produce. Depending on what size you seek, you should be able to make it large-pocket sized, and the board would/could double as the carrying case. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
One card per player, with 0-9 written along both the long sides. Use a plastic clip (or a paperclip) on each side, that you slide to track the score.

Do you have to start at 100, or could you start at 99?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two cards.

Horizontal Card divided into 10 rows of 10s (90, 80, 70, etc)
Vertical card divided into 10 rows of 1s.

Place vertical on top of horizontal. The intersection is current score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mocked it up.

Seems like this would fit really well with your components. I'm sure it could be designed a bit nicer, but I was thinking on the back side of the 1's it says 100 and back side of the 10s its the "0" ten, so if at full health, flip the "1s" card and lay over top of the "10s".

If under 10, flip the 10.

What's your score in the mockup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Brownsmith
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
Mocked it up.

Seems like this would fit really well with your components. I'm sure it could be designed a bit nicer, but I was thinking on the back side of the 1's it says 100 and back side of the 10s its the "0" ten, so if at full health, flip the "1s" card and lay over top of the "10s".

If under 10, flip the 10.

What's your score in the mockup? :)

Depends. Did someone breathe near the table in the last few minutes?

---

I'd go with a simple bad or suggesting the players grab counters from somewhere else. It keeps production costs low, removes the need for excessively large packaging, and means I don't need Yet Another Set of Tokens. A pad of paper would also work, although you mentioned some drawbacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marphod wrote:

Ouch.... I thought it was pretty clever given his requirements soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Graham CheeseViking Games
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
You could try with percentile dice -2 d10s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Horton
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
marphod wrote:

Ouch.... I thought it was pretty clever given his requirements soblue

All that it would need to counter that problem would be to include a paperclip or something similar. Besides, if someone blew on the table the whole game would go to hell anyway and then who cares about score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A thing that looks like a measuring device would look totally great for the game. A score pad which looks like a technical spreadsheet would be my second choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.