Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, I do not have this game yet.
I was thinking about to buy it, but I read, that this game is just a peaceful euroish game.
So my question, is there any expansion, which makes this game more "take-that" style?
For the record, I am a great fan of Spartacus and Sons of Anarchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefly: The Game – Pirates & Bounty Hunters allows for PvP while Firefly: The Game – Blue Sun allows for a bit more blocking with Reavers.
However, unless you play with house rules, piracy is very conditional.
Even with expansions, I do not think that Firefly really becomes a "screw you! take that!" kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure I would describe the game as a Euro. I would actually suggest it is a Thematic game which includes dice rolling. I agree that there is limited player interaction. However, as the previous poster mentioned, some player interaction has been added by the Pirates and Bounty Hunters expansion and the reavers also add another angle to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastion wrote:
Hi, I do not have this game yet.
I was thinking about to buy it, but I read, that this game is just a peaceful euroish game.
So my question, is there any expansion, which makes this game more "take-that" style?
For the record, I am a great fan of Spartacus and Sons of Anarchy.

Firefly is nothing like the brilliant Spartacus game.

That said, Firefly is a nice game with a great theme. To me Firefly is more of an experience game like Fortune & Glory than a tight contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Gould
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It would entirely depend on how you approach it. The reavers can be a minor hassle or a big one, and it depends entirely on how you and your opponent's move them. I've played games where everyone just pushed them off to the corners of the map (because no-one wanted to deal with them), and I've played games where players were boxed in by multiple Reavers (forcing them to waste turns going the long way around, and in one case having to bail on a job because the Reavers were parked on the destination).

Ditto for Bounties or Disgruntled employees. Some people don't bother with it, some players will chase you down to steal your guy.

The one interactive mechanic I haven't seen much use of is the piracy, and that's because it feels really counter-productive time-wise. But the stars might not have come up yet for that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
anyGould wrote:
It would entirely depend on how you approach it.

This↑

I have played with both crowds as well. Firefly: The Game – Pirates & Bounty Hunters Offers the potential for direct conflict and Firefly: The Game – Blue Sun offer the potential for indirect conflict through the placement of Reaver ships. Honestly, the latter has provided a consistently greater level of interaction than the former.

I would say that it depends ENTIRELY on the group you are playing with. When my wife and I play, she doesn't like being pirated. So if I want to play with her, then there will be no piracy and minimal Reaver blocking (though she prefers the Reaver avenue since she can harm others on the board without it being directly from her crew).

On the other hand, when playing with 2 particular guys in my group, we have to always be on our toes, as they both dig through the contacts for the piracy jobs and will target your wanted and disgruntled crew as often as possible. Games with them can get aggressive and those games have a very satisfying level of interaction.

All that being said, there are defenses in place to avoid these↑ things. But that puts you in the position of modifying your game play in order to do so. Is that not a form of interaction as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
dbolyard wrote:
anyGould wrote:
It would entirely depend on how you approach it.

This↑

I have played with both crowds as well. Firefly: The Game – Pirates & Bounty Hunters Offers the potential for direct conflict and Firefly: The Game – Blue Sun offer the potential for indirect conflict through the placement of Reaver ships. Honestly, the latter has provided a consistently greater level of interaction than the former.

I would say that it depends ENTIRELY on the group you are playing with. When my wife and I play, she doesn't like being pirated. So if I want to play with her, then there will be no piracy and minimal Reaver blocking (though she prefers the Reaver avenue since she can harm others on the board without it being directly from her crew).

On the other hand, when playing with 2 particular guys in my group, we have to always be on our toes, as they both dig through the contacts for the piracy jobs and will target your wanted and disgruntled crew as often as possible. Games with them can get aggressive and those games have a very satisfying level of interaction.

All that being said, there are defenses in place to avoid these↑ things. But that puts you in the position of modifying your game play in order to do so. Is that not a form of interaction as well?

Well, okay. My group is definitely aggressive, if we can make damage to the other player for gain something, we will do it.
So, if I get the Pirates expansion, I will get a great game for my needs?

BTW, we do not have any problem with management games, we do play those a lot, but if I buy a GF9 game, I want some more fun, than just travelling and cargo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
You need at least 4 players for Firefly: The Game – Pirates & Bounty Hunters to add the flavor of interaction you're looking for, though some opportunities are still conditional. One of the choices for piracy involves stealing [up to 3] jobs from another player. In my opinion, these are among the most crippling piracy jobs, and there are no conditions attached to them aside from whether or not you can take on your opponent's crew and win. You acquire these from Amon Duul's contact deck.

Firefly: The Game – Blue Sun adds a more consistent level of interaction that's going to happen no matter what--in a group like yours. But it may not be to the level of aggressive interaction that you may prefer.

Together, they transform the multi-player solitaire of the base game into an interactive game with opportunities for aggression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
Like with any game, the more you play it, the more you realise how to mess with other players. As noted, the expansions open more avenues of screwage. But is this a flat-out aggressive direct conflict game? No. Can you cause distress to other players and laugh at their misfortunes? Oh, yes. But it's a slow burn and the moment of ultimate screwage may only come after careful observation, a bit of canny timing, and, sometimes, a completely random card draw. That's great fun if you're enjoying the game on the whole, but as noted, if you're after the joys of Chaos in the Old World or other thematic dice rollers focused on direct conflict, honestly this isn't what you're looking for, much as I like to spread the love for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can pretty much sum this game up as "you fly around the 'Verse for a while and then someone wins" - if you like the idea of visiting the show's universe for a while, this is a great game; if you want high-stakes conflict, you might want to mosey on by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh As far as it not being a 'tight contest,' its a race! And our games usually end up with the second and third player hot on the trail of the winner, just about overtaking him. Often they end up only one or two turns out from winning themselves; often the first and second/third positions change places right at the end. That's about as close as it can get. But its basically a race game--which brand new players often don't get, as they are distracted by the theme or devastated by attempting difficult jobs without proper preparation--not a war game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
arrrh As far as it not being a 'tight contest,' its a race! ...not a war game.

Agreed. It can be likened unto a Firefly-themed scavenger hunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.