Tom Merrigan
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BEES MAKE HONEY
Be the busiest bee and make the most delicious honey.

2-3 Players | Ages 8+ | 20-30mins

COMPONENT FILES

TBC

Hi,

This is my entry to the 2015 2player PnP contest.

In Bees Make Honey 2-3 players compete to collect nectar for their Queen/Hive from the flowers in the farmers field. Collect the right nectar to make the most delicious honey to win the game.

I want to design a 2-3 player game suitable for friends or a couple to play but also for two parents to play with a child or one parent to play with two children. The theme is cute and I'll be aiming for simple and easy to grasp rules but also want enough hidden depth to master to keep the adults happy.

Here's where my head is at the moment:

1. A field of 9 cards (2players) or 12 cards (3players) that contains the flowers and bee hive, along with some open field spaces.
2. Nectar tokens.
3. Bee tokens.
4. VP cards - collect sets of different types of nectar to score bonus VPs.
5. A bee bumping movement system - land on the same card as another bee and they get bumped to an adjacent card.
6. Pickup and deliver - need to deliver the nectar back to the hive to score the VPs.

I'll post rules and component files as I develope them. In the meantime if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions then please share them.

Many thanks,
Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
You might consider having the bees collect not only nectar but also pollen, tree sap and water. Real bees collect pollen to feed their brood. They use the tree sap to fill in cracks and strengthen their hive. Water is used for climate control, producing honey and many other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Merrigan
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
You might consider having the bees collect not only nectar but also pollen, tree sap and water. Real bees collect pollen to feed their brood. They use the tree sap to fill in cracks and strengthen their hive. Water is used for climate control, producing honey and many other things.

Hey Adam,

This is real useful information. Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to keep the rule set fairly simple but you've got me thinking about how I could incorporate some/all of these elements into the game. My main problem is I have 3 different ideas for the core set of mechanics and can't decide which one would work best for the game I want to accomplish.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
What kind of mechanics are you considering?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Merrigan
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
What kind of mechanics are you considering?

The core mechanic I had initially thought to use was pickup and deliver - bees fly to different coloured flowers and collect nectar (or other items) which they then need to return to the hive to score. The players would also have hidden objective cards - collect certain types of nectar used for making specific honey to earn bonus victory points at the end of the game (a bit like in Ticket to Ride, for example).

Where I am have been undecided is:

a) The shape of the board - a square field of cards, a line of cards or a board made up of hex tiles. Each has its own merits but it primarily comes down to the next two points,

b) How many bees does each player control - 1, 2 or 3, and

c) How do bees move.

Then, whilst I was thinking this through I hit upon another idea. The playing area could be made up of cards with flowers on them and when a bee left a flower the card was flipped to the blank side. When all the flowers had been flipped all bees would returned to the hive and points would be scored (as above). Play could then be best of 3 games with points from all the games being added together.

So, a few things to think through, mockup and test.

Thanks,
Tom

NB: If anyone has any thoughts on the above please do share them here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Waggle Dance? Same type of theme, but the goal is to collect honey and be the first to convert a certain number of hive tiles into honey.

Have you thought about an action point system to use with your pick up and deliver idea? Also, there could be a location to move to that will give you another worker for a specific cost of honey or nectar.

I think the hex tiles, or a square board with a hex grid. This is more thematic towards bees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Merrigan
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
toombs79 wrote:
Have you looked at Waggle Dance? Same type of theme, but the goal is to collect honey and be the first to convert a certain number of hive tiles into honey.

Have you thought about an action point system to use with your pick up and deliver idea? Also, there could be a location to move to that will give you another worker for a specific cost of honey or nectar.

I think the hex tiles, or a square board with a hex grid. This is more thematic towards bees.

Well I hadn't seen Waggle Dance but I have now - thanks for the link. It looks interesting though thankfully different from what I want to accomplish.

I think I'm leaning towards a hex tile grid (as you say, it fits better with the theme) with each player controlling 3 bees. This provides some interesting opportunities for variations on movement and for blocking.

I like the idea of an action point system to control movement as it could lead to some tough in game decisions. Cheers for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Hex's are hard to cut out for a pnp game, but they do fit the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Merrigan
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
Hex's are hard to cut out for a pnp game, but they do fit the theme.

That was exactly one of my reservations Adam - if I want to get people to playtest and give feedback on my game then making it easy to produce is essential. So, even though I thought I'd reached a decision, I'm still weighing options up.

Cheers,
Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always mock up the prototype with cards or square tiles and just draw a hex on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Merrigan
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finally settled on a set of mechanics and components for the first mockup.

The playing area will consist of 3x3 grid of cards that represents the farmers field. These 9 cards consist of 1x Hive card, 4x Flower cards and 4x blank (for now) cards. The flowers are: white, yellow, red and blue.

All bees start on the hive card. 

At the start of the game each player selects 2 movement cards and places them facedown in front of them in a line in an order of their choosing. These cards represent the first three moves their bee will make. Cards will move bees forward, backwards and to the side. Facing is important.

In each round every player moves their bee corresponding to the left most card in the row in front of them. They then add a new movement card from their hand to the right hand end of the line. In this way players will be programming 2 turns ahead.

Bees move according to the distance and direction on the Movement card played. If a bees move would take it off the edge of the field it returns on the other side directly opposite to where it left and carries on moving. If a bee finishes its move on the same space as another bee then one of the following things happen.

- If it is a flower card the bee already on the card is bumped away to an adjacent card.

- If it is an open/blank card then nothing happens.

A bee that moves onto the Hive is removed from the play area but may return on a subsequent turn. Note: their will be special actions that can be taken when a bee is in the hive - for example discard movement cards and drop off nectar.

The goal of the game is to collect nectar and score vps. Bees collect nectar when they move off of (not bumped off) a flower. Vps are earned for the type of nectar collected and for completing goal cards. Goal cards represent certain mixes of nectar that the farmer will use to make different honey varieties.

COMPONENTS

3x Bees
54x cards
- 9x Field cards
- 22x Movement cards
- 20x Goal cards
- 3x Reference cards
20x Nectar cubes

So, time to make a mockup and get testing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be interested to give this one a shot after you've gotten it tested a bit. It looks as though you should be able to play this with a standard deck of cards easily enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Merrigan
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I've created the flowers for the field cards, examples below:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Merrigan
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

...and now the Beehive - though this is public domain clip art with a few tweaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls