Hide
2 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ancient Sorcery Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bearserker Fr
msg tools
Hi, I'm a French player who recently heard of "Cthulhu Wars" (just after the French KS ended, actually), and after having watched a few videos and read a few PBF I liked so much this game I found a way to take advantage of a friend who pledged to order my own DVM !
Why do I feel the need to make you know that ?
- Firstly because at the moment, I don't master every aspect of the game and it's very possible the answer of my questions are obvious for everybody here.
- Secondly, because my question concern the French translations of the spellbooks I found on the internet. Actually at least one rule differs from the English quotations of the spellbooks I found, so I would like to know if the French version is wrong or if it is true (and the English docs I found aren't up to date)

The English version says :
Quote:
Remove a Serpent Man from the map, and place him on an enemy faction’s sheet. For the remainder of that turn, the Sleeper faction has access to the enemy’s faction Unique Ability. During the Doom phase, the Serpent Man returns to any area of your choice on the map, and you gain 1 Power.
If the Unique Ability mentions a faction’s Great Old One, it is considered to also include Tsathoggua.

The French version says (once translated) :
Quote:
Remove a Serpent Man from the map, and place him on an enemy faction’s sheet. For the remainder of that turn, the Sleeper faction has access to the enemy’s faction Unique Ability. During the Doom phase, the Serpent Man returns to any area of your choice on the map that you have at least one unit, and you gain 1 Power.

Even if the last sentence (about GOO Tsathoggua) isn't here, I assume it's an omission. But since "that you have at least one unit" has been added, I wonder if it's a mistake or not.
- Do the serpent men only have to go on places where sleeper units are present ?
- If not, does it mean it's virtually possible to make the 3 serpent men land anywhere together, then make spawn a formless spawn at the same place (thanks to "Death From Below"). It virtually represents from 4 to 8 dice in 4 targets, freely placed anywhere after the power collection is done and the turn order is defined (which offers you the opportunity to choose an area where you are almost sure to play first).

As a bonus question, since the serpent men come back "during the doom phase" does it mean they don't arrive before the third step and the bonus power they bring can't be used to ritual ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The French version looks like a typo. Serpent Men returning from Ancient Sorcery can indeed be placed anywhere on the map.

As to the bonus question, yes. Things that happen "During the Doom Phase" happen at the end of it, after the Doom advancements and Ritual options. This means you can't use the Serpent Man refund to help pay for a Ritual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.