Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: tanga [+] [View All]
Brian McKeever
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do they make money selling things at massive discounts?
Are they making a profit?

Are they getting a discount for buying in bulk or something?

*I'm in no way affiliated with tanga. I'm just wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
They are likely not only purchasing in bulk, but purchasing a lot of closeout inventory that the publisher/warehouse is looking to be rid of. Closeout sales of this nature result in the remaining stock selling for as much as 90% off. So despite the large discount off of MSRP, they still make a profit.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
And they're not the first ones with this idea. Check woot.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt's right, I think. There are several sites dedicated to bulk liquidation; essentially unwanted truckloads of some kind of goods. Every one I've seen is auction-based; I gave serious consideration to doing this myself at one point. Problem was, I can't see operating without a return policy, and usually these truck lots don't allow the retailer to get return credit (and it wouldn't matter anyway, since they're not reordering). And these lots come with NO guarantee of condition or function; in fact, I've heard of cases where someone thought the truckload was new, and it was all reconditioned with about a 50% failure rate.

I would guess, though, that the Tanga guys are being pretty careful and reading the fine print...at least based on the care which they lavish on thier other projects. Aldie certainly has been pretty ethical in runing BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
And you don't have to worry to much about failure rates with the boardgames tanga is selling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.