Subject: Bias toward 2nd Fleet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, anyone notice that all the "Fleet" games have about 27 fans except for 2nd Fleet which has almost twice as many (50)?
Why?
Is it because the area covered by 2nd is the "main" area of WWIII NATO/Soviet conflict and the other theaters are secondary?
Or does 2nd's favor come from a better, more mature game system than the others?
Or does 2nd’s popularity reflect there is a majority of Anglo-American-NATO members of BGG?

I cannot defend 3rd Fleet because the US Pacific NW theater and Caribbean (other than possibly some excitement surrounding Cuba) does seem like a backwater and kind of a boring exploration of superpower naval balance. I also cannot defend 3rd Fleet because I haven't played it yet (for the reasons just mentioned)(I do own it).

5th Fleet is really fun and challenging, and with the Persian Gulf 5th is a highly relevant treatment of world interests/concerns. Sixth may seem like a backwater at first but the diversity of forces there is interesting and it is after all only the underbelly of NATO! And 7th...man, 7th rocks! Other than NATO not being there 7th Fleet is very 2nd/NATO-esque what with Japan, RoK, and assorted little allies and threats scattered about; 7th is just like 2nd except the distances are vaster, the minor allies more fickle and less capable, and the logistics infinitely harder than 2nd!

I may be willing to admit that 2nd is probably the "main event" in what the Fleet series purported to do (it is, after all, specifically an exploration of US-Soviet naval power, not an overall wide open global naval survey). But admit it you veterans! After getting all excited about 2nd once you finally dug into 7th it was very very hard for you to go back into 2nd's waters again, wasn't it? Something about that WestPac theatre, freedom to maneuver, long range air action, whack-a-mole on isolated enemy minor allies while your own minor allies are too far apart to be mutually supporting... All that 7th bounty was entrancing compared to 2nd's crowded approaches to Europe and the tired old I-gotta-get-NAmerican materiel-to-the-continent-while-dodging-Sovs-from-the Kola Penn shtick, right?

Seriously, how many out there who really loved playing 2nd (and 2nd really IS awesome, no denying that!) and then found 7th ever really went back to 2nd?

Why's all the love confined to 2nd?

Discuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kukailimoku wrote:
Or does this box's favor come from a better, more mature game systme than the others?

Well I can't say that it would be more "mature" since it was the second in the series.
I think it has more fans simply because of geography, size, and a simpler system than it's sequels but more "developed" than 6th Fleet.

Just my thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -- Thucydides, 5th century BC
mbmbmbmbmb
Westpac is the place to be. Ask any Sailor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mainly Cold War Syndrome. The Chinese doesn't have a "fleet" in the Pacific back then. The Southeast Asia was more peaceful than it would have been thought of. Plus, the Soviet naval elite should be in the Atlantic for a much more likely conflict up there. The highly popular Hunt for Red October certainly added fuel to the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Mainly Cold War Syndrome. The Chinese doesn't have a "fleet" in the Pacific back then. The Southeast Asia was more peaceful than it would have been thought of. Plus, the Soviet naval elite should be in the Atlantic for a much more likely conflict up there. The highly popular Hunt for Red October certainly added fuel to the subject.

Time for an update, since breaking the chains miss the mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charms 1VP
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely my favourite for the fact that the sea conflict would have likely been proceeded by a NATO/Warsaw Pact ground offensive in Europe. At the time these two were the reigning superpowers, which meant that boomers = thermonuclear destruction raised the stakes, so quite a bit was on the line. Strategically, the Red Banner Fleet as a likely objective would try to deny the US a sea bridge to reinforce US ground elements in Europe. Thus the US would be forced to rely on an air bridge. To summarize this theatre of operations was hot to say the least with ramifications for the European ground theatre. So no pressure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was always partial to 6th Fleet, probably because it came first and I played it extensively before trying the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favs (moods) change but over time I would have to say I favored 7th (Pacific) most, due to the scope and the variety of scenarios, followed by the Indian ocean next (forget which numbered fleet that was), and least liked the Med one. I own but never opened the Caribbean+US West Coast fleet, never had the occasion to play it unfortunately. I never see anybody write/say anything about that red-headed step child of the bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kukailimoku wrote:
...followed by the Indian ocean next (forget which numbered fleet that was)

Scroll up to your original post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.