Popular Tags: [View All]
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got laid off on Tuesday. It sucks, it really really sucks.

On one hand they gave me 20 weeks severance and benefits until May. And, I was really starting to hate my workplace and some of the people I worked with. I had already talked to my hubby about looking for another job.

But, ugggg, I hate looking for work, I despise interviews, I get nervous and share waaaayyy to much. And I am out of a job and with the job market here not being all that great I am worried about finding full-time work with benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear it. Start working on that resume!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear it. Hopefully you'll find a new job quickly, and it'll be more fun than the old (which doesn't sound all that hard to do). The 20 weeks severance is pretty generous, so at least you won't be needing money right away!

As for interviews, oversharing is OK I think! Just be confident. Some of my worst interviews have been with candidates who don't share enough. I hate interviewees who give the minimum possible answer to all questions. "So tell me what your duties were in this job?" "I was a programmer." End of answer. Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Schmidt
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got laid off in the summer of 2012. It was horrible and my company screwed me out of everything, which made trying to survive that much more difficult. But, I ended up finding my dream job (after many resumes were sent out and I had started to despair that I was ever going to find anything). It really was a blessing in disguise, because if I hadn't of been laid off, then I would still be at that dead end job, doing something I hated.

Everything will work out for you, I am sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, these events are often positive changes - easy when you don't like your current work. And the job market has, in theory, gotten quite a bit better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Sorry you lost your job. You'll find something better and be glad it happened.

I kind of wish my job would lay me off.

walk_softly wrote:
But, ugggg, I hate looking for work, I despise interviews.

Me too! I hate playing the resume/interview game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best of luck - as others have said, maybe this will be the best of both worlds; a chance to essentially get paid (via the separation benefits) to go find the job you really want/enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Your job is not to be the best candidate, but to put the interviewer at ease.

I interviewed candidates for 25+ years. Trust me, you need to be the best candidate. You will not get hired because you make him/her feel comfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to hear this. I would say, start looking right away so you don't loose that "work" mode.

Also, last time I got laid off.. it took about a year and some "mini" jobs in between, but my new job is almost double the pay and I love it.

So there is hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Your job is not to be the best candidate, but to put the interviewer at ease.

I interviewed candidates for 25+ years. Trust me, you need to be the best candidate. You will not get hired because you make him/her feel comfortable.

Not to derail the thread, but I side with Koldfoot. I've also been interviewing people for at least the last 15 years and I've found that it's better to hire the candidate who seems to fit into the group best and has the best interpersonal skills versus the smartest or most talented candidate that may appear to have personality issues. I'll sacrifice several intelligence points for some additional charisma points!

Of course, if you can get the best candidate who also happens to be very personable, that's the one you want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I know of a Job opening here in Sendai if you are willing to relocate and don't mind the occasional earthquake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck! Spend a little of the time off to re-focus yourself and that jump right back in. I realize words in a forum can't fix things for you, but I am sure we all wish you the very best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a link to a thread with some job postings, maybe you could find something there. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel for you, Boo.

Lost mine right after the New Year's holiday. Wasn't enjoying it that much but still, it sucks. Got 2 week's worth of severance pay which wasn't much but helped a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Holmes
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything will work out!

Short Story: Last government fiasco I got furloughed, and as I'm driving to tell the wife the bad news, she calls me crying and tells me she just got laid off. BAM Double Whammy!!!! We freaked out, but thanks to a wonderful friends network (including BGG) we made it through just fine. I went back to work a week later, and she received a less stressful job as a Loan Officer for Mortgages, she was an underwriter. Remember this When one door closes another one opens, just dont' be so focused on the closed door that you miss the new one!

Good Luck
Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've lost my job twice in the past six years: I know exactly how you feel. I'm sure you won't have much trouble getting back into something, but the process is awful. I feel the same way about interviews, and after my last job loss there was a 2-3 week period where that was all I did for 5-7 hours a day, 5 days a week. Probably the most stressful personally taxing period of my life.

I'll keep you in my thoughts, and am wishing you well on the (admittedly crappy) journey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain.

I was the victim of a reorganization and I was eliminated from the company. That was in July.

My bed is nice and cozy soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenpence nonthericher
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that. Good luck finding a new position. I know I will be unemployed soon and will not have the luxury of a severance package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can empathize. I'm in my 4th job since 2007. I was 60 years old when I got fired in 2010. During my job search the few interviews I had were with sales managers in their 30s. After 6 months, I took a part time temporary job with a very small company to reduce the drain on my resources and unemployment benefits. Within 3 months, I was full time with benefits. In a year I was promoted to service manager. By mid 2012 I was promoted again to operations manager! Last November I was assigned a newly created position in new business development for our sister company- new business development! the exact duty that I had been fired from 3 times before when the economy tanked. But I can take comfort in the fact it only took 5 years to work my way up to earning 2/3 of I used to earn in 2010.

I used to do outside sales over multiple counties and wore a suit every day. The upside to working here is the job is 1km from my house. There are 20 restaurants between home and office. I work from a computer or phone. If I need to go somewhere, I get a company vehicle (2002 Toyota Sienna). It's a blue jean job. It's a family owned business. Until last fall, the company paid 100% of our health insurance. I can get a drink-as long as it's bourbon- after work without leaving the premises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well ...

Being unemployed is no fun. I was laid off in January 2013. Got a pittance of a severance; and then got my unemployment benefits until the gov't eliminated all extended benefits.

By all accounts, I do everything right - kickass resume; great LinkedIn profile; network like a boss. I even teach a course in using technology to speed up the job search (and I've redone resumes and LinkedIn profiles for about 30 people -- with great success; I've helped 13 people land jobs in the past year).

But, that skill seems to not extend to myself. I've sent out 1300 resumes; and had 80+ in-person and phone interviews. Now (like someone mentioned above), I am starting to believe I'll never land; but -- I still have to stay positive (and, perhaps, that's the most important part of being unemployed) -- you need to not allow yourself to wallow. Once you start with that -- it's nearly impossible to *not* appear depressed in interviews.

And, I cannot stress the importance of networking -- the best/closest opportunities I've had so far have come from networked contacts.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the networking - it actually bugs me, because I suck at it, but the truth is it doesn't seem to be the qualifications or strength of resume, but the contacts you have that seem to be the deciding factor. (Of course, that just may be me being bitter over some instances where I've lost out due to folks hiring their less qualified buddies... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell everyone you know and maybe even everyone you meet that you're job hunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.J.
United States
Delhi
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always hate hearing when this happens. It happened to me in Feb 2011 and I went a while before finding something. Interviews, resume changes... all that. When the market was really bad. Hopefully you'll land fast.

I ended up at a place I love and in a job I am truly thankful for. So, it worked for the better and I was in a dead-end spot where I was. Here's hoping you get something amazing! My only advice -- and it's what got me through my spell -- stay positive and smile. I wish you well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
I've sent out 1300 resumes

Man! Do three years for aggravated indecent exposure, and it follows you forever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.