Dan Scott
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a day it had been..

I had just come off a job with the Corp, and I was looking for revenge. In my previous life, I ran the Corporate datacenters of Danttech Inc., a huge multinational that wouldn’t pay up for decent securities. With a limited budget, I watched as my well-laid ICE crippled under the strength of some new-age icebreakers – giving up some important Tycho information and costing me my job. I was about to teach the world that they made a mistake in letting me go, and went about setting up shop as a NetRunner in my own right.

We know of him – he’s some ex-Danttech lackey with a chip on his shoulder. Our immediate headquarters inventory analysis set a heavy Agenda mandate. Advisors recommend we implement what Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics we have available to protect our central data forts. In fact, new research has paved the way for amazing new ICE technologies – neurological destruction focused toward unwanted transmission. Its codename: Code Corpse. We also utilized a tried-and-true hound sentry with new age technology to protect HQ under the guise: Fang 2.0. Standard operating procedures were followed, including revenue gathering for future schedule implementation.

The first thing I had to do was install some kind of program. Luckily, I had a good setup of resources available, which was good because I realized early that my target Corp was smart. The sysop had set up some ICE over the standard central data forts, so I knew that I had better get started on seeing what was in there. I had ripped a copy of ‘Shaka’, a wicked little sentry killer from Danttech before I left, and quickly went about installing it. I also set up an imp because I had a couple of little apps I wanted to add in there, too. I had made a few friends at the Orbital Bar, and went about setting up some old connections in case I ever got traced. Finally, I felt a bit risky and decided to run on the Corp, just to let them know I had balls.

It’s time for a full-on attack, straight to the HQ. That Shaka program is pretty good, so I’m hoping that the Sysop is unlucky and put up either ICE he can’t afford or something I can take out. Either way, it’s a risk.

Excellent. Our little runner chooses to attack our headquarters. It’s time to show him that we Corps don’t take things lying down. Obviously, we know all about the Shaka program and in confident in our countermeasures. We rez our Fang, and watch as the runner gets cornered in our trap. The intruder is lucky that we couldn’t do any serious damage to him, but we will put a trace on him at 5 and slow his progress. The target will have to spend a bit of money to remove that tag before he can run again. That’ll give those hackers something to think about.

Ouch. It’s a sentry, alright.. some kind of bulldog program that has seized me, my money, and my ability to attack the Corp again. I’ll have to take care of that somehow soon before I attempt another run. In the meantime, I’ll take this moment to get some money back and save up for something I’ve had my eye on, a sweet deck that gives me some more memory for a new program, as well as help to fund future runs. It’ll take 6, though, and I have to spend 2 to get this monkey off my back.. Meanwhile, I’ll have to admit that I can’t hack the HQ, so I had better find a different target or get a pile of money.

As the runner is incapacitated, we will take this time to reassess. We’re getting more and more mandates in HQ to fulfill Agendas - perhaps 80% of our options, but we’re not given the resources to implement and protect them. We simply cannot risk any NetRunner accessing our HQ. We may have stopped that runner for now, but we know he’ll continue to prove a nuisance to operations. We will arrange with R&D to provide some new solutions, as well as continue to collect revenue from our databanks to fund future projects: like Code Corpse.

I’m still reeling about that Fang. Luckily, I’ve got a few tricks up my sleeve. I gotta keep this Sysop busy – I can’t show him that I’m focusing on any one area. I’m still interested in his HQ, but I could target his R&D and see what he’s working on. I may even luck out and score an Agenda. I also notice that he’s collecting a lot of new projects and throwing a lot away; knowing the business, I get a sneaky feeling. The Corp may be throwing away mandates in favour of new ICE. I’ll have to keep my eye on the archives, too. For now, it’s important to regroup, deal with this blasted dogtag and get my revenues sorted. I could probably do another run after that.. I previously installed a stealth program into my Imp, as well as acquired this nifty chip to use with Shaka – let’s see what he’s got in that skunkwork pile.

Our runner is going in for our R&D, and we do have a piece of ICE protecting it. It’s not much, and it’s a sentry, so his Shaka can deal with it should the runner decide to spend his resources. No matter, we have the budget. It’s best used as a supporting ICE, but by rezzing it now, we can start security measures immediately. We’ll rez the ICE, make the runner spend his bits. Given the number of Agendas in HQ, he’s unlikely to gain anything of real interest.

Perfect. He’s got some crappy ICE that does no damage, and I’ll walk right through and help myself to his R&D. I’ll have to spend a bit of money to increase the strength of Shaka to take down this sentry, but there’s just one subroutine to suffer and it only affects the following ICE. I let the subroutine run and help myself to the R&D intelligence. Unluckily, as if I was staring right down the barrel of a shotgun, I read about a scheduled operation on how to run a trace on anyone who’s been caught running in the Corps data files. Great, that’s me. Nothing I can do about it now, cause it doesn’t have any trash value. Looks like I’m screwed. Oh well, at least I know what’s there now.

The word from R&D is that our files are safe and nothing critical was taken. There’s a chance to use an operation to track the runner down, but we can’t afford it now. The most recent rez tightened up the budget and we can’t afford the costs for a trace. If we’re going to do anything serious to appease the mandate we’ll have to start up an Agenda. Standard operations dictate that the sysop install and work on an Agenda to increase the size of our HQ, while also collecting enough revenue from our databanks to activate project: Code Corpse which is protecting it.

Wow, I’m lucky. I can’t believe I wasn’t traced. Tags will always result in trouble, and I just don’t want to lose anything. Right now, I’ve got a friend here, Dexter. He’d be a great Fallguy to protect me from tags and I think the Corp know it. Yeah, right now I feel good. I could run on his archives, but instead I’ll keep the pressure on and see what he’s got set up there as a new Agenda. The posted budget’s showing a huge surplus at this point, and I’ll bet he’s working toward completing an Agenda to double his already massive bit pool. If that’s the case, chances are that the ICE protecting it is garbage, and that Shaka’s got a good chance. I collect my 3 bits from friends, and jack into the datafort. Let’s see what’s up.

Fool! Our hasty little nuisance is going after our Agenda! Clearly, we cannot let this happen. It is time to see what all of the scientists at R&D have been buzzing about; we will implement and rez project: Code Corpse and await the result. We intend on full documentation and presentation of destruction witnessed.

What the heck is that?! Code Corpse?? I’ve read about it before, but I didn’t actually think I’d have to defeat it. I expected something like a wall, or a code gate, or maybe some piddly sentry or something – anything – but this! Looks like I’ll be bracing for impact – I can’t afford to improve the strength of Shaka enough to take this thing down, and he’s going to zap me twice in the brain! This is not going to be good. I’ve got a full set of collection --- .. !! .. . ---- ymodem__ --- Zzap! Hssshhhshhshhhh.. zzpphhhtt… wow… what the.. Ugh. I feel terrible. What the hell..? Ugh.

It appears as though our Code Corpse project works incredibly well. The subject has just taken 2 shocks directly to the cerebral cortex, resulting in a permanent loss of approximately 30% brain function as well as ending his run. This will certainly improve our chances of completing our mandate, and you can tell head office that the Sysop is doing a fine job.

I’m coming back around now.. been a couple days. After the blast with this code Corpse, I’m hurtin. I’ve got all of my old programs, but something ain’t right. I take a look at my options – where I had 5, there’s 3. My mind is slower, I know. Whatever. I’ve got a bit of money now and I know what I’m up against. I installed the immolator cuz if I ever get the chance I’m gunna smoke that damn Code Corpse!

I find this new hardware that could be my golden ticket. It’s a MicroTech ‘Trode Set, and lets me ignore all subroutines from AP ICE.. and that’s exactly what Code Corpse is! The ‘Trode Set will make other breaks more expensive, but I want it to get back at the Corp. Immediately, I install it and make a run back on to Code Corpse and the mysterious data file.. probably an Agenda.

This is not good. Just when our power seems at its peak, those nerds over in R&D ship us a junk product! Our research on this MicroTech product indicates that its wearer is immune to the subroutines of AP ICE, making Code Corpse that much weaker. Our Agenda is open for the taking. Someone is going to get sacked.

Staring the Code Corpse in the face, I run full-tilt toward it. Shaka's only got a strength of 2, so I'll be spending what money I have to beef it up against the Code Corpse's 5. It costs me a bit, but the abilty of the 'trode set makes it all worth it.

Shaka stands before the Code Corpse and I let the subroutines go. Both brain damage and run fatality are avoided, as the 'trode set ignores all AP subroutines. I couldn't smoke the Code Corpse with my immolator, though, as that program needs all of its targets' subroutines broken before it can run.

The Corp's huge program is garbage - they're gunna be pissed with me. I bust into the data warehouse and score an Agenda, and it's a good one. It looks like the Corp was looking to increase its HQ capacity by 2, and this thing’s worth a lot towards my cred as a runner. Although I’m hurt, I’ve just taken a big bite into the Corp - and I know I can do it again.

This is ridiculous. Our key weapon and defense is now defunct as long as that blasted runner is wearing that MicroTech electrode set. He’s just stolen one of our prized Agendas that was key to our progress. Now we’re right back where we started – a headquarters that’s full of Agendas and no ICE to protect them. We aren’t sure what to expect next. All we can do at this point is build up the Code Corpse datafort and hope he trashes his gear eventually. We’ll spend the cash to install a code gate to compliment it, but it’ll be a little while until we can afford to rez it.

At this point, I’ve got some money, I’ve got the goods to break through Code Corpse, and I want to keep going. I’ll run on the HQ this time.. that Fang doesn’t scare me at all, now. Using my Shaka, combined with stealth and a Corolla Speed chip, I blow away the Fang and access his HQ.. at random, I draw a datafile and hope for the best.

The runner’s reached HQ! Sysop has attempted to reference a file on Agenda: Corporate Retreat, only to find it has been compromised! Our data files are faltering at every step. Who hired this new Sysop? We need to do something, and we need to do it fast. R&D is sure to provide us with some kind of solution. Invest heavily into R&D as well as databank acquisitions. We must clear an agenda now!

Well, lookee here. I’m only 2 points away from victory.. only problem is, the Corp hasn’t installed anything new. I’ve got 'em on the fence, now. At the rate they’re going through R&D, they’ll probably end up running out of options and running out of time. The only thing I can do is wait, and I’m prepared to do that. I know I’ve got them spinning their wheels as long as I’m wearing this ‘trode set. The Corp’s placed some new ice on the Code Corpse datafort, but there’s nothing there to protect it yet. They’re also boosting up their ICE on their HQ. I think it’s time to teach them a lesson.

I make a run on their R&D, and I’m looking to use my immolator software. I plug through the cheap sentry and burn the sucker for a cool bit. I access their R&D, nothing serious. I do it a couple of times, what the heck. There’s no other way that I’m going to get any Agendas, so I go for it. Ultimately, it’s a waste. The Corp’s working on some new nodes, ops, ice and so on, but there’s no Agendas in the mix. I retire, for now, by building up my resources and setting up a good cash source – Rigged Investments.

Our recent data analysis on the Danttech ex-employee shows NFA as the residence, yet heavy bank activity. The upper management is breathing down the Sysop’s neck for recent intrusions. Luckily, the runner’s recent activity on our R&D enables us to send in a trace. We must do whatever we can to destroy some of his infrastructure or else our information cannot be trusted to be secured. We enable a trace, track him down.

--INCOMING TRANSMISSION
--PLEASE NOTE. TARGET MIA. INCORRECT TARGET TERMINATED. INFORM NEXT OF KIN TO MR. DEXTER SHAMBLES OF STATUS.

That’s the problem with being a runner – you can never trust ‘em. Poor Dexter, he was a good friend, but a better corpse. I’m still raking in the money from my Rigged Investments, and there’s not much that the Corp can do against me. I take the opportunity to install a resource that’ll assist – his name’s Crash Everett, and they say he’s the business when it comes to getting excellent gear. I get in contact with the guy and learn the truth – this guy is great! He shows me a lot more gear than I’m used to, and I pick up some sweet stuff. I try to make a run on the Corp’s HQ again, if only to see what the new ICE is, but I get punched in the face with TKO ICE and I’m down for the count – guess I’m not as invincible as I thought I was.

A recent boardroom meeting has set new directions for our actions. Given the strategically unlikeliest situation that the runner will access any Agendas through R&D, we will focus on creating new, and increasing the strength of, existing data forts. The TKO ICE will work as a temporary setback for all electronic intruders, but must ultimately be replaced. It will be imperative to focus on NetRunner tracing, tagging, and ultimate annihilation projects. R&D has provided us with some of the means, now it is up to ops to find a way. New project standardization will require financial acquisition from databank storage.

What can I do? I’ve gotta keep running and put the pressure on. Those data forts are getting tougher, and eventually I’ll have to rely on something other than Shaka. I take a bit of time to work with Crash Everett to get some new programs – one for Code Gates, and that amazing Pile Driver, which chews through ICE walls. All I can do at this point is hit R&D. Once the Corp starts activating new Agendas in some data forts, I can rethink all of this and maybe improve my programs. I approach the R&D files and am met with yet another sentry, which I quickly dispatch. Reaching into the files I see.. another Agenda! Whad’ya know.. it turns out that I was able to successfully relieve the Corp of the right amount of Agenda points to prove my worth on the other side.

ANNOUNCEMENT:
Davetech Inc. is pleased to announce new ownership! As of Friday, October 20th, 2006, Davetech will be officially known as ‘OneGate Tech Inc.!’. We are pleased to announce a great new wave of changes that will result in some of the greatest revenues seen in the past 20 years! Our new management will begin job assessment on Monday, October 23rd, and employees are asked to check internal email for appointment times.

Guiding you into a world of new opportunity,
Management.

You know, sometimes I feel bad for this Sysop I took over, but lets face it: only one of us can win this. Maybe he’ll find some life as a runner like I did. There will always be more Corps to take over, and there will always be more sysops to screw with. Until next time…

Game end - photo: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/155156
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome write up. This makes me want to play the game. I've never done so but have a starter set. Game looks very interesting and I've traditionally hated CCGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, that´s why I love this game - that´s the way we also play our games. Much more roleplaying rather than simply card-gaming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
>:\ this - game - is - sooo - good !
>:\ end transmission_

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.