Subject: Modifying rules for War Galley rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Haran
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I have just purchased War Galley thinking that it included
Solo rules to find in the introduction the phrase " it is a two player game and that it also plays solo well.I assume this means that the player plays both sides as in Peloponnessesian War.Although I have not played Pelloponnessian War I have an idea that the victory conditions are not the same therefore making the statement "the game plays well solo" suspicious

As I get into this I see possibilities .I have just read piquet's mission statement and find it after my own heart; no one can have a plan of battle laid out before him as he fights a war and so have continued to modify 'War Galley' so as to give the player only detailed information in the case of activated squadron, enemy or own.

It is such a relief to get those hundreds of ship counters off the board to have them replaced with a single admiral counter. Now there are only something like one two three four squadrons ships visible at a single point in play, the rest of the fleets represented by the admiral counters.

What is amazing is that the original rules are so well written they can be left alone the only modification being the activation movement and combat segments.

I felt a great sense of relief as I put this systems into play as it cuts out the tedium (so prevalent in board games ) of dealing with scores of counters, and allows for events such as lost squadrons and regaining sight of same, wondering the composition and deployment of an admirals force, and finding out when you come under attack.

I am of the opinion that many board game designers are taking a page out of modern marketing by making the customer do all of the work. Not enough consideration of the player.

Ill keep a running log so as to keep gamers up to date

http://magnesia.angelfire.com/mgs1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.