Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say a player has score of only 10 with 12 shares taken. After the last turn, you get your shares reduced from your score first and then mutliply this result by 3 (plus the track points).

In this case, after subtracting 12 from the score of 10, this player would have gotten a -2 score!

I read somewhere in this thread that this is not his "income" therefore he's not bankrupt but merely having a minus score.

1. Is he still in the game ie. do we proceed to mutliply his score by 3 and then add the track points for his total score? Or is he out totally since he's already in negative-lands.

2. If he's still in, how do we multiply his score by 3? If we take -2x3 that's gonna take him deeper into negative-land....

Note: A player in this position would prob end up last but I just wanna know how the scoring should work (useful in tournament play where the combined score of a player is counted over a series of games).

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can finish a negative score, if your final income is less than your number of shares. You only go bankrupt if income actually goes below 0 due to not being able to pay your expenses.

I think Tom needs to review the "distributive property of multiplication and addition": 3*I - 3*S + T = 3 * (I-S) + T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Re: What if your score moves into negative -are you still in
rri1 wrote:
I think Tom needs to review the "distributive property of multiplication and addition": 3*I - 3*S + T = 3 * (I-S) + T

Yea and verily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are always still in the game even if you have negative score. Note that all players start the game with a negative score (2 shares issued, 1 locomotive, 0 income, 0 track = -6 score, and it usually takes about two turns to get out of negative score range!

Only negative income causes bankruptcy. Sometimes people will end up with a negative score even in the final scoring at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
krainer wrote:
Only negative income causes bankruptcy. Sometimes people will end up with a negative score even in the final scoring at the end of the game.

My favourite Age of Steam games have been those where no player have been profitable at the end of the game. [1] Both maps from Age of Steam Expansion: Sun / London can fairly easily end up in this extremis if the players are sufficiently aggressive. A quite delightful fight of who loses by the least...and something (the collective dialing of the richness of the economy by the players) that was a design goal for both maps.

[1] Such financial and economic system desperation is a common liking of mine. My favourite Kaivai game was the one in which few fishing huts were built and white dice values were rolled excessively often (one chap rolled three dice twice and two once to get only one fish!). I tend to adore games with such starvation systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahh... Clearclaw, you luv "pain" dun you? robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like walking tightropes in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.