Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Space Dealer» Forums » General

Subject: Comment on Boardgamenews rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As there is very little info about this very interesting game, I thought I'd post this link to a comment on BoardGameNews:

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

You need to scroll a bit down (after Battlelore)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the first time I've heard of this game. Looks like a good idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to my wish list. Looks pretty cool, the rules were a little obtuse, but seemed to have lots of options and strategies. Hopefully it will come stateside.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JonnyG wrote:
. . . the rules were a little obtuse . . .


Obtuse or abstruse?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
JonnyG wrote:
. . . the rules were a little obtuse . . .


Obtuse or abstruse?

lol, these forums have to be the most patrolled by the word police that I frequent. Abstruse would probably be a better choice of words, although I believe that more people would use obtuse.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell you how many times I quelled an unreasonable desire to put this up in the forums all by itself, because you are TOTALLY correct. More people DO use obtuse over abstruse; this word is misused all over this site.

However, BGG has a lot of intelligent people on it. The reason it's all over the geek is because only people of a certain intelligence could confuse two words that (sadly) aren't even in the average vocabulary.

You're a smart person, Jon, and I'm sure you're like me -- everytime you've heard this word used it has been used improperly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ostrander
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I quelled an unreasonable desire to put this up in the forums all by itself, because you are TOTALLY correct. More people DO use obtuse over abstruse; this word is misused all over this site.

However, BGG has a lot of intelligent people on it. The reason it's all over the geek is because only people of a certain intelligence could confuse two words that (sadly) aren't even in the average vocabulary.

You're a smart person, Jon, and I'm sure you're like me -- everytime you've heard this word used it has been used improperly.


I hate to comment on something that is not my forte, but it looks like Webster has added the abstruse definition to obtuse. It seems that language is on the move!

Webster's Dictionary wrote:

Main Entry: ob·tuse
...
2 a : lacking sharpness or quickness of sensibility or intellect : INSENSITIVE, STUPID
b : difficult to comprehend : not clear or precise in thought or expression

http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-s...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
American Heritage, dictionary.com, plain Webster's (not M-W), and, most importantly, the OED don't use this definition. As you say, they've added abstruse's definition to obtuse, probably because of its widespread misuse.

I wonder if they have "irregardless" in there, too!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, you know what? It looks like I'm a self-important fat slob intellectual snobbity snob snob snob here. How'd I turn into this?

I really AM being obtuse!

Rompcat = Sorry for what he's done and what he's said.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ostrander
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
I wonder if they have "irregardless" in there, too!


laugh you are right M-W does have it although at the end of the entry it does say to use regardless instead.

One of my favorite things about M-W is that it has 'accepted' pronunciation for the midwestern way to say wash: "worsh"

http://www.webster.com/dictionary/wash

Sadly though there is no entry on "Strategery" This is one word we use in our game group to get others riled up.

Even though my English skills are severely laking (I kant spel at awl!) I do enjoy seeing where the language is going and hopefully increasing my minuscule vocabulary.
Thank you public eduacation!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.