Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yonatan Korem
Israel
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi guys.

I've been playing settlers for quite some time now and over time some house rules came up, some left some stayed.
but yesterday, one player ,who was new to the group, asked what are the original rules ? what did we change ?
seeing as i can't remember exactly what DID change, and i misplaced the manual (stop with the rocks ! please !) i hoped you guys will clear things up a bit.
So, to work:
1. the Barbarians (Cities exp.) can't move until a seven was rolled. i can't remember if that is actually a rule, or we housed it so the barbarians won't attack so fast.
2. if someone has a road of 6 lenghts, and i build a road to make an intersection with THE MIDDLE of his road (let's say between part 3 and 4), and then build a knight there. his road is now 2 roads with 3 parts each.
can i even build the knight ? does it actually break the road ?
3. same as number 2) but building a settlement ?
4. if someone has no cities, or has a monopoly on his only one (the yellow thingy in Cities exp.) and when the barbarians attack gives the lowest army, does anything else happens to him ? if there are no cities to destroy, is the next lowest player loses one ?
5.when you build the level 3 yellow technology (again, cities exp.) you get a present. it states that you can exchange 2 commodeties for one of anything. we play it like a 2:1 harbor. both commodeties have to be the same. is that the original rule ?

thanks a bunch,
Yonatan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Seems to be a house rule. Personally I use the rule that the barbarians can't move for the first two rounds, then they move normally. We don't roll the special dice for the first 2 rounds.

2) Yes, knights break up roads.

3) Yes, but you still have to follow the rules for settlement placement. i.e. Two roads between them.

4) Had to look this one up to be sure. "When determining which player has contributed the weakest force of knights, do not count any player who has no cities, or any player who has a metropolis gate on all of their cities. These players are immune to the effects of the attack."

So the next weakest would take the hit.

5) Yup, both have to be the same type.

Hope this clears it up,
Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch answered 2)-5) correctly.

1) You do not move the robber when a 7 is rolled until the barbarians hit Catan for the first time. That's the rule. Barbarians can hit Catan any time (after you rolled 7 times black ship).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Glesser

Fullerton
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the rule from the Mayfair website:

"When playing with the Cities & Knights of Catan expansion, the robber is not moved until after the barbarians have reached the island and raided Catan at least once. The robber does not move when a "7" is rolled, and you may not steal a card from another player. You also may not move the robber with a knight, or with any progress card that normally allows you to move the robber.

When a "7" is rolled, all players must still check to see if they have too many cards in their hand. If they do, then they must still discard half of them to the bank. Only the movement of the robber pawn is affected by this new rule.

This rule also applies to the pirate ship, if you are combining the Seafarers of Catan expansion with Cities & Knights.

Once the barbarians attack Catan, all of the normal rules for the robber (and pirate) apply. The robber begins to take effect immediately after the first barbarian attack. So, if you roll a "7" on the same turn as the first barbarian invasion, then you will move the robber that turn (the result of the production dice is always resolved after the event die)."

However, it should be noted that this is not the original Mayfair rule. This was an optional rule and only recently became the standard with the original rule now listed as optional. Frankly, we still play with the old rules in my house, as we did were none to pleased with this change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.