Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first and biggest pleasant surprise is that there are no very rare miniatures in this set!
This will make it much easier to collect an entire set as there will likely only be 18 rares to collect, because 2 already come in the starter set.
Also, the 2 biggest and best units come in the starter set, so no insane prizes for them on Ebay.
People will still bitch "oh, but it´s collectible", but this set is as fair as it get´s in CMG these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you know this? Is there a list of the ships somewhere?

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is directly from the rules preview on the WotC website:

"Collector Number/Rarity Symbol/Set Icon: The icon tells you that this figure belongs to the Starship Battles set. The collector number lists the miniature’s order in the set, as well as the total number of miniatures the set contains.

The rarity symbol indicates how easy the miniature is to find. There are three levels of collectability: common ●, uncommon ◆, and rare ★."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:2 good things about this game that weren´t to be expected
Quote:
The first and biggest pleasant surprise is that there are no very rare miniatures in this set!
This will make it much easier to collect an entire set as there will likely only be 18 rares to collect, because 2 already come in the starter set.

Well, how rare a rare actually is depends on its packaging. From what I've seen so far, the contents of the boosters are listed as random with no guaranteed rarity distribution. This means you could quite easily see one rare per case or two rares per booster or anything in between. Right now, it is impossible to guess at how easy it may be to put together as set. I'm hoping it's pretty easy, but I'm not holding my breath.

I also wouldn't count on the starter set pieces being part of the rare set, though they might. Even if they are, I would be surprised at a straight 20-20-20 C/U/R distribution. I would expect it to be something akin to attacktix with its rare top-heavy system, something like 14-20-26 or even 10-20-30, though the latter might be hard to make work with all of the light side starfighters.

Anyway, I am intrigued and am very much looking forward to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Ernest
United States
New Haven
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of Wizards CGM's to date have had one rare per booster.

They have also had a pretty even distribution in the set (20/20/20) with the Starter Set pieces counting as Rares in the whole set. Yeah, there have been a couple of variantions (like 20/18/22), but it's always been pretty even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping that the game was going to be played on an open game surface and not a grid. Oh well...they have to keep it simple for the young'uns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palpatine wrote:
I was hoping that the game was going to be played on an open game surface and not a grid. Oh well...they have to keep it simple for the young'uns.

This is to appeal to people who dislike dragging out the rules and arguing about slightly nuding pieces and whether something is 15/16" or 16/15" away.

The grid keeps things nice and clean.

--------------------

And because there are no VRs, I will likely check this set out. VRs were what drove me away from SWM in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2 good things about this game that weren´t to be expecte
Palpatine wrote:

Yeah, and open field combat games are more akin to stuff like Warhammer, which is ironically played by the youngouns. Yay for grids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not like you couldn't make your own rules to make an open table game with no grid.

Again, this game will probably spawn an innumerable amount of house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kirby
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
The Jakster wrote:

People will still bitch "oh, but it´s collectible", but this set is as fair as it get´s in CMG these days.

If you like having to throw insane amounts of money in the street to be able to play the game. You act as tho bitching about blind packaging is wrong in some way. I disagree. Besides, I don't usually bitch about these things too much. I usually vote against them by NOT BUYING THEM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
emceekhan wrote:
Not like you couldn't make your own rules ...

I'm afraid they've mostly left it to us to make up the game.

There is a game that comes with the ships that may be fun for a bit, but it just doesn't seem that nearly the same effort was put into the game as was put into the miniatures themselves.

They've given us some very nice playing pieces, but it looks like it'll be down to the players to create a game worthy of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shijuro wrote:
emceekhan wrote:
Not like you couldn't make your own rules ...

I'm afraid they've mostly left it to us to make up the game.

There is a game that comes with the ships that may be fun for a bit, but it just doesn't seem that nearly the same effort was put into the game as was put into the miniatures themselves.

They've given us some very nice playing pieces, but it looks like it'll be down to the players to create a game worthy of them.

I was afraid of that after reading the rules online.

It looks like I'm going to have to break out my imagination and assemble a few loved mechanics from other space combat games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
emceekhan wrote:

It looks like I'm going to have to break out my imagination and assemble a few loved mechanics from other space combat games.

I've mentioned on another thread that many of these figures will work great with Star Wars: Star Warriors. Certainly the class 3 and 4 figures will fit with their 1-inch bases, and possibly even the class 2's in place of (or on top of) the large Star Destroyer template. That game had some nice mechanics but was let down by the little chits for ships, the opposite situation to Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles.

Of course, Star Wars: Star Warriors was from back before episodes 1-3, so there won't be any specs for Droid ships, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've mentioned on another thread that many of these figures will work great with Star Wars: Star Warriors. Certainly the class 3 and 4 figures will fit with their 1-inch bases, and possibly even the class 2's in place of (or on top of) the large Star Destroyer template. That game had some nice mechanics but was let down by the little chits for ships, the opposite situation to Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles.

This is one of the reasons I was really interested in getting some of these pieces. Perhaps sometime after Christmas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, the game DOES have "Chase rares", they just aren't labelled as such.
A booster contains 3 commons, 2 uncommons and 1 rare; all good there.
A booster also contains 1 "Class 2" capital ship, which might be either 'uncommon' or 'rare'. You get 1 rare class 2 in about every 3 boosters; thus they are effectively chase rares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A booster contains 3 commons, 2 uncommons and 1 rare; all good there.
A booster also contains 1 "Class 2" capital ship, which might be either 'uncommon' or 'rare'. You get 1 rare class 2 in about every 3 boosters; thus they are effectively chase rares.

This essentially makes these super-rares (in my book) no matter what they are actually calleed. This was pretty much the point I was trying to make previously. I'm glad I've passed on boosters so far -- with a distribution scheme like this I could see it being quite difficult to put together a set for anything close to a reasonable outlay. Oh, well soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.