Subject: Pregnancy chart very simple variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much has been discussed about the ill-balancing effects of England rolling a 6 in the first try, and sound mathematical alternatives have been designed, like this English Birth Table Variant.

I propose a very simple, easy to remember and implement house rule:
First rolled 6 counts as a 5

This guarantees that England needs at least two turns to get a healthy Edward. And since a repeated result goes up in the table, doesn't hinder them too much, methinks. For example:

A 6 and another 6 or 5: healthy Edward
Two 5's in a row: healty Edward
Any result and the first 6 on the Jane Seymour roll: 6 that counts as a 5 +1 bonus = healthy Edward.

There's still a lucky chance of getting the best outcome in two rolls, but i find that acceptable. I'm no odds expert but this may also lead to more Elizabeth and sickly Edward both been born, which I wouldn't mind to see more often. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it'll have relatively little impact. People rarely keep rolling once they've gotten a 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
I think it'll have relatively little impact. People rarely keep rolling once they've gotten a 5.

Rarely? I've never ever seen it!

I've also never seen Mary as the English leader. I suspect those two things are related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen 2 Marys and 1 Elizabeth across 30 games, and the Papacy couldn't win a serious debate in the first Mary game, even with a 5-7 dice advantage in about 6 debates.

Keep in mind that you can't keep advancing the pregnancy track if you've already gotten both a 4 and 5 result on the chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

I've also never seen Mary as the English leader. I suspect those two things are related.

I've had the misfortunate of being the England player with Mary as my leader. It was awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

I've seen it once or twice late in the game, but the times I've gone that far were 3P games, so I suspect that playing a larger number of 3P games might allow one to see Mary more often. I think I've seen her twice, and it was pretty hilarious (I was Ottomans/French both times).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.