Subject: UK Customs charge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a card from Royal Mail today telling me my copy's been held due to an unpaid Customs fee (£11.17 including £8 handling fee). Anyone else been hit?

edit: update below - package with tracking number LX214017236US wasn't TED after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
Got a card from Royal Mail today telling me my copy's been held due to an unpaid Customs fee (£11.17 including £8 handling fee).
£11.17 suggests a VAT charge on an $85 delivery, which suggests that you went for multiple copies or some addons. What was your pledge + shipping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
Got a card from Royal Mail today telling me my copy's been held due to an unpaid Customs fee (£11.17 including £8 handling fee).
£11.17 suggests a VAT charge on an $85 delivery, which suggests that you went for multiple copies or some addons. What was your pledge + shipping?

Or if you take off the handling fee, £3.17 would be 20% VAT on a £15.85 cost which is about right for the US$24 deluxe box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Or if you take off the handling fee, £3.17 would be 20% VAT on a £15.85 cost which is about right for the US$24 deluxe box...
Doh! I didn't spot the including £8 handling. Oh dear, this bodes ill for us all. I thought Gamelyn were a bit overly reassuring on the non-EU-friendliness of the campaign.

If this happens to a significant proportion of us then I'll be pulling my TEG pledge - it's simply not worth paying $24 for the game + $12 for shipping (TBH it never was worth the shipping) + £11 VAT and handling. (Which for the record is about £35 for a £15 game). Annoyingly, we're only about £0.75 over the limit - but there again, the shipping is also subject to VAT and that puts us comfortably over the £15 threshold. Blox!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think that I'll just drop my TEG pledge to PnP - I've been looking for a worthwhile project and this might as well be where I start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaius Cordovan
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but why customs? UK is part of the EU, isn't it?
here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/tiny-epic-defenders...
Quote: "We will be sending a container of games to a Europe based fulfillment center. This will eliminate the VAT and customs charges."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

While I believe most EU backers will not experience this customs hit, even those who do have been offered a solution for it.

Please refer to this Tiny Epic Defenders' update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/tiny-epic-defenders...

where, because of a shipping arrangement change due to huge unexpected charges, I offer to reimburse EU customs fees.

The update provides information on what the change was and how to get it resolved.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
** edit Subject matter cover by previous post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:

I'm still curious what your pledge level was. Based on the experiences with TEK, you really should not have been hit with any customs fees.

That said, Michael chimed in above and will take care of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galotta wrote:
but why customs? UK is part of the EU, isn't it?
here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/tiny-epic-defenders...
Quote: "We will be sending a container of games to a Europe based fulfillment center. This will eliminate the VAT and customs charges."
Interesting! I was remembering the non- EU-friendly status of TEG and possibly Harbour, all three projects have become conflated in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Annoyingly, we're only about £0.75 over the limit - but there again, the shipping is also subject to VAT and that puts us comfortably over the £15 threshold. Blox!

The shipping isn't included when looking at the threshold. So if the game was under £15 then there would be no charge. However, if a charge is to be made, then VAT is calculated including the postage charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

I'm still curious what your pledge level was. Based on the experiences with TEK, you really should not have been hit with any customs fees.

UK customs kicks in at £15 so based on current exchange rates, sadly the Deluxe at 24 dollars is just over this. A bit of a shame as not only is there the messing around for the customs charges but it also adds some extra days on for delivery and I want it now!

My copy of TEK didn't incur any charges BTW and I wont be adjusting my TEG pledge, its Deluxe all the way for me....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The pledge amount does not necessarily reflect what the value of the contents will be marked as ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
The pledge amount does not necessarily reflect what the value of the contents will be marked as ...
Unfortunately, UK law makes me liable for any deception practiced by the vendor. HMRC has been dealing with issues of tax and duty evasion for longer than the US of A has been recognised as a nation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you misunderstand what I meant.

Your pledge level may include shipping subsidies and other non-production related costs. What you pledge should not automatically be put as the value of the contents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Single deluxe copy ($24 + $12 International Shipping).

I'll know more on Tuesday when it's scheduled to be delivered.

I'll probably just eat the extra cost - it's still cheaper than most full-priced games, and, if it's anything like TEK in this respect, I'll get more value out of it too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
I think you misunderstand what I meant.

Your pledge level may include shipping subsidies and other non-production related costs. What you pledge should not automatically be put as the value of the contents.
Actually it's all a bit fraught: as you're not actually "buying" anything, but providing a donation (it's called "crowdfunding", right?). Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure that HMRC are going to take the simplistic view of "how much did you pay?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmb
HMRC already have an official policy of KS rewards are in fact preorders hence they are treated the same way as any other order. People did try to warn about this when Ted update #29 was issued but the official line was it wont happen as it didnt happen on Tek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
HMRC already have an official policy of KS rewards are in fact preorders hence they are treated the same way as any other order. People did try to warn about this when Ted update #29 was issued but the official line was it wont happen as it didnt happen on Tek.

Truth is, I offered to reimburse EU customs fee. I posted above about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmb
mgcoe wrote:
growlley wrote:

Does that however include the c extra vat and Handling fee the post office can now charge by law that the backer has no choice in the matter about paying?

This was pointed out to you at the time you decided to just ship direct from the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
mgcoe wrote:
growlley wrote:

Does that however include the c extra vat and Handling fee the post office can now charge by law that the backer has no choice in the matter about paying?

This was pointed out to you at the time you decided to just ship direct from the US.

It's all in the update. If you have a claim for reimbursement please follow the instructions detailed within.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! I knew there was a nagging at the back of my mind as I was typing! I guess the stuff detailed in #29 is why TEG isn't EU friendly - it makes business sense to de-risk things that you aren't sure that you can control. But I don't back non- EU-friendly campaigns anymore - for effectively the same reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: The package finally arrived today... and so did my copy of Tiny Epic Defenders - turns out the customs charge was for my goodies from the TableTop S3 crowdfunding campaign, which just happened to be arriving at the same time, with no shipping notice (in one of those weird coincidences, my Dungeon Lords Happy Anniversary edition replacement battleboard also arrived today)

Sorry about the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew. I'm glad you didn't get hit.

I think there's a lesson in here somewhere... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbesvii wrote:
Whew. I'm glad you didn't get hit.

I think there's a lesson in here somewhere... whistle

Don't trust Wil Wheaton?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.