Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] solitaire [+] wargames [+] [View All]
Tom Anderson
United States
Hamilton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any war games that are enjoyable to play in solo? I would welcome some suggestions. Thanks
(Doomed to play alone)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for solitare games, or 2 player games that will play well solitare? You may also put solitare in the search box and select "tags" to get a list of those tagged as solitare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomander wrote:
Are there any war games that are enjoyable to play in solo? I would welcome some suggestions. Thanks
(Doomed to play alone)

What periods are you interested in?

Wargames with random unit activation mechanic may be good. I'm thinking of games such as Avalanche Press's "War of the States" and "Rome at War" series, but I'm sure there are others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

Where in Illinois?

Many wargames are interesting solo. You'll lose the competitive feeling of playing against another player of course.

Why are war games interesting solo? I believe that the game is similar to a book with the game designer as the author. A good game gives interesting and historical insight to a situation. Playing it, even solo, will forward that insight to the player.

When learning a game to eventually play face to face I do play through a portion of it solo. This gets me to learn the rules and some of the basic concepts.

Some games I really enjoy solo for their own sake. These include the GBACW (Great Battles of the American Civil War) such as Three Days of Getteysburg. Totaler Krieg! a strategic level WWII game covering the Eurpoean and Mediteranean theatres.

I think the larger games tend to play better solo. They give a grand scope where sitting at the board for a player's turn might easily consume 30 or 40 minutes, giving an interesting exercise to the solo player. If done in small chunks, it's easy to swtich sides and begin planning without feeling like you are just going through the motions.

Card Driven Games are more fun for me face to face. So those I don't play solo except as learning exercises.

Advanced Squad Leader takes up a decent portion of my solo time but is spent in preparation for face to face games or tournaments. Sometimes it's fun to set up a scenario as if you are going to play and devise the best defense and attack that you can. This usually involves looking up some specific rules and can be enjoyable, again because I'll eventually play the game.

I know I'm rambling a bit. I suppose the first thing to do is determine what conflicts are interesting to you and find games about those conflicts. Then you might give a finite list and ask the question again.

Also, if you find you are spending 30 or 40 minutes an evening playing games, don't overlook playing PBeM with one of the great tools out there like VASSAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most 2-player wargames solitaire well. Multi-player games, not so much.

What era do you like best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at these Geeklists:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/6082
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11710
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/7026

While not all wargames, here are some games that I have tried solo and enjoyed:
RAF
Magic Realm
Aliens
B-17: Queen of the Skies
Patton's Best
Solitaire ASL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
B-17: Queen of the Skies is legendary, if a bit overdeadly.

Barbarian, Kingdom, and Empire has a surprisingly fun solitaire scenario.

Voyage of the BSM: Pandora is designed for solitaire play and lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If WW II submarine warfare, specifically US Fleet action in the Pacific, interests you, then Silent War could be what you are looking for.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17484
The game is made to be played solo. It is very detailed and the whole war campaign could take a VERY long time to play out. The producer, Compass Games, has an Atlantic version (German U-Boats) coming out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
Most wargames can be played solatiare, and it seems that most hard-core wargamers solitaire their games. I think, overall, solataire and wargames is more of a state of mind. My friend pulls out many of his wargames and plays them by himself to get the feel of the game, and just to play them.

However, I think it's the person too. I have tried (and will continue to do so), to play wargames solataire. I just can't do it. I want an opponet (maybe its because I am a horrid opponent). So if you don't mind playing as 2 to 4 folks, all games can be solatiared.

Just my 2gg worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Romana
Flying Colors
Sergeants!

I enjoy these solitaire as I can't find opponents most times. (Though my kids will give it a try in a pinch).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT Games has a "Solitarire rating" on the back of the box. I find their games generally amenable to solitaire player- examples are Twilight Struggle and For the People.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottH wrote:
If WW II submarine warfare, specifically US Fleet action in the Pacific, interests you, then Silent War could be what you are looking for.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17484

My vote goes for this one, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of wargames play well solitaire, even if not designed with that in mind. There are some, however, that rely heavily on fog of war, and these are rarely suitable.

I play most of my games solitaire, though I'm lucky enough to be able to play regularly against several local gamers. The following are some from my collection that I find work well solitaire:

Ardennes '44
Red Vengeance (and, I assume, its siblings)
SCS Afrika (holds true for the other SCS games I've tried, possibly excepting The Mighty Endeavor)
Any of the GCACW series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the GCACW series. Also you might want to consider The Korean War as well as Thunderbolt/Apache Leader. I might have missed it, but Carrier is solitaire designed as well.
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal favorite is Solitaire Advanced Squad Leader,but it is steep to get into (rulebook,modules,and good luck finding a copy of SASL2!)

The Ambush! games are fun for squad-level WW2 combat.

I also have tried some of the TwoHourWargames rules using my board wargame components (such as Legends of Araby and Montjoie! rules with my Cry Havoc! game pieces.) These play well solo as one of the main mechanics is Reaction where individual characters roll to see how they will react in given situations--fun as some control is lost and things dont quite go according to plan.

The GMT Great Battles of History I have enjoyed solo as well just to see how a battle may unfold.

For spaceship battle there is Full Thrust.I have written an AI mechanic for using cloaked ships and there is a mechanic for robot ships on the web.

Key thing to remember is most any wargame can be played solo;depends if you are looking to play both sides or need some sort of AI mechanic.

One other suggestion would be to read Lone warrior,the mag of the Solo Wargamers Associatin as this has many ideas for solo wargamers (even though mostly applies to minis,but I am a contributing author to the mag.) If you need more info on it please ask.

Thanks,
MD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Overton
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to play Memoir 44 http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/10630
and Battle Cry http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/10630
Solo over Two player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonaparte at Marengo has solo rules that make good use of blocks for fog of war:

http://www.simmonsgames.com/products/Marengo/MarengoSolitair...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomander wrote:
(Doomed to play alone)

Tom have you considered playing wargames on the internet with either VASSAL, www.vassalengine.org, or Cyberboard, http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/index.html .

Beats playing alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Bonaparte at Marengo has solo rules that make good use of blocks for fog of war:

http://www.simmonsgames.com/products/Marengo/MarengoSolitair...

Oh Yes I had forgotten about that one... I've tried solitaire BaM and it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Ambush! games are fun for squad-level WW2 combat.

I can also vouch for Ambush!, since the game and the add-on modules were specifically designed for solitaire play, not 2 player play. Of course the drawback is that when you complete a module, there isn't as much replayability to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get your hands on them thru eBay or the secondary market, Panzergruppe Guderian and its progeny, Kharkov, are games I have found to be good solitaire, especially with the untried unit system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Stonewall Jackson's Way and the great campaigns of the american civil war series play very well in solo. Sides roll to determine initiave (who get's to move), and movement is based upon die rolls as well. So you never know how far your forces will get to move until after you've decided who to move.

It all works well and gives a great sense for the period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most "chit pull" style games play well solitare. The chits control movement and combat timing. Two titles that come to mind are "Across Five Aprils" and "The Battle for North Africa".
Other games that have movement and/or combat controlled by leader rules can be good solitare. My personal favorite solitare game is "War Between the States by Decision Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush is a brilliant game. Not to complicated, interesting missions and lots of suspense. Pretty deadly as well which keeps you on your toes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
For me Conflict of Heroes sounds really good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.