Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I knew it might happen and now after all the hoopla the price has to be paid!!!! AHHHH!! Help.

My suitcase size will be fine, and the games will all fit no problem I think but they will be REALLY heavy probably with purchases like Carabande and others. Just checked Air Canada site and it says 35 dollars per bag penalty if they are 23 - 32kg (allowed to be up to 20kg).

Probably not much can be done now except maybe opening all un-opened games and throwing away spues and inserts. I will have two big suitcases and two big dufflebags just for games(2 for wife and 2 for me), since it is only 33 games or so I will be distributing the weight but I will still be over probably.

Anybody have any experience with this and how did you manage?

Any advice appreciated, leaving from Munich in a week after a quick tour of Europe. Storing bags during our Eurotrip. Thanks. J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Re: Essen-Nevermind customs,my bags are REALLY heavy, now wh
Given that it costs 62 euro to send 20kg of games from Germany, Air Canada is looking like a pretty good deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robson
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
Put the really heavy games in your carry on luggage. I just got back home with Imperial and Perikles in my backpack . Thankfully I wasn't charged for the extra kilo of checked in baggage ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Wow only $35?!?!?!

I was told it would be 150 per bag from American.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take out the boards from the games and put them in your carryon as well as anything else that is small and heavy (sealed card decks, etc.). They are solid weight, and that should help get it down.

I mailed a box home, myself. It was 10kg, and cost 42 Euro. It would have been a better deal to pay that less for the airline penalty, but I didn't want to haul 70-pound bags up and down train stations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rintoul
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you check in tell them that you have lost a lot of weight since you arrived and that the whole package (you and bags) now weighs alot less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I wouldn't be worried about the cost at all. What would have me absolutely pretrified with fear would be what sort of condition my games would arrive in, especially since youv'e said some of them are just in duffelbags. Assume your luggage will be placed at the bottom of a 12' cube of Samsonite suitcases...

It'd almost be worth renting a casket, and informing the airline that you're taking a body home for burial. Nice hard casing, plenty of room, and no weight penalties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ameranth wrote:
I wouldn't be worried about the cost at all. What would have me absolutely pretrified with fear would be what sort of condition my games would arrive in, especially since youv'e said some of them are just in duffelbags. Assume your luggage will be placed at the bottom of a 12' cube of Samsonite suitcases...

It'd almost be worth renting a casket, and informing the airline that you're taking a body home for burial. Nice hard casing, plenty of room, and no weight penalties.

Hah! Good idea casket....hmmm.

Thanks for the advice and comments everyone. It looks like $35 per bag may not be too bad in comparison and I feel much better now. It all fit into three big bags with only one being quite heavy. I will try to render this later, as some of you mentioned they usually don,t weigh the carry-on bags or damn I might just have to pay it. J

p.s full Essen report later with pics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what happened to my beer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
So what happened to my beer?

Hey, there YOU are! I looked everywhere for you laugh

Seriously, thanks a lot for your thread and other advice it helped a lot. Next year you´`ll have to drop by the holiday Inn for a beer and a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermann Huth
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That wasn´t a beer, ´t was a coffee...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.