Subject: What's that I smell, outside? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to visit a customer at their office today and when I got out of the car, the smell of freshly baked bread hit me, full on.
It turns out that there's a commercial bakery in the area. Nice!

I can't think of anything I'd rather smell than fresh bread.
The local bakery, when I was a kid, was a magical place. I didn't even care so much about the free cookie (a lie ) as just being in there and taking deep breaths.

In my section of town (also industrial), we've got a microbrewery a block away and I can smell roasted malts on most mornings. It's a lot like roasted coffee-- sort of burnt & bitter, but not entirely unpleasant.

Unpleasant smells are at two locations down the road, maybe 4 or 5 blocks away: The water treatment plant is often a real joy to drive past; even with the windows up, it mells like ass. Literally.
And, right across the street, the place making roof shingles emits the foulest, most toxic smells that you've ever encountered. Worse than the treatment plant.
We could do with more bakeries in this area.

When I was a kid, our family drove to the northern part of Vancouver Island, to visit my aunt and uncle, and we passed several lumber and paper mills along the way. What a horrid stench that was.
Then, as you walk along the ocean, there's a smell of rotting seaweed and salted water-- you probably know what I'm talking about.
Some people might like them, but I think oceans and their beaches are stinky.

What smells are you faced with when you step outside of your house or your workplace?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
What smells are you faced with when you step outside of your house or your workplace?

When I step outside of my home it smells like a bad idea. When I am at work it smells like freedom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
MABBY wrote:

When I step outside of my home it smells like a bad idea. When I am at work it smells like freedom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to live downwind of a turkey farm.

Nowadays, I smell...fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I think I got you beat. I work near SFO, which also happens to be a matter of blocks away from the Guittard chocolate factory. Every now and then, I drive into work, get out my car, and am immediately enveloped by the delicious scent of either brownies or choc chip cookies (one or the other, I can't decide).

I'm actually not sure if it's the choc factory or the nearby food kitchens where they make the food for the airplanes at SFO, but either way, it's a good way to start the day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a candy shop not too far from where my son's daycare used to be. Many afternoons I would go to pick him up, there was the smell of chocolate in the air.

It was almost too much to not get in the car and just find the nearest shop to get all the chocolate I could.

Edit: Yeah... my son's daycare was near SFO... how in the world does one get ninja'd on something like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:
Edit: Yeah... my son's daycare was near SFO... how in the world does one get ninja'd on something like that?

Pretty amazing timing, I must say.

FYI, Guittard does not give factory tours. Some old coworkers and I drove over there once randomly, hoping we could just walk in for one.

...edited for terrible grammar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
On my way to work, I pass not one, but two pork rendering plants, a few blocks apart. Some days, it smells like delicious pork products. Other days, it smells like death and pig shit. It's a real crapshoot, so to speak. On certain days, those smells can drift for a couple of miles...which can be unpleasant, if the breezes are just right (or wrong).

Of course, due to traffic patterns, the trucks transporting the pigs to the plants are often on the same freeways at the same time as my commute...and you definitely do *not* want to be behind one of those trucks, especially if traffic is crawling.

Near my home, there's a very large commercial bakery that I have to drive past on the way home. It usually smells delicious; cinnamon bread, blueberry something, maple something, etc. lasting all night. Thankfully, it's almost always enough to drown out the smell of the Miller brewery just down the road. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately, nothing too remarkable. Home, it's the 'burbs, and mostly just smells like moss, rain, and the general NorthWest. Work is downtown Seattle, where I'd say the main smell is the Sound, which is normally perfectly fine. In spots while walking around downtown, you either get yummy food smells, or urine - typical city.

At one point in the past, I worked at a Linotronic service bureau - digital typesetting. The important bit for this is we had a few large developer machines, for developing the laser-exposed paper and film from the imagesetters. For part of that time, I worked in a small satellite office, with it's own Lino and developer, next door to a small bakery.

I got used to the smell of developing fluid pretty quickly (having to sit, permeated by it all day). Still, I was aware of when it built up, and liked to open the back door to vent air. Plus, I got the nice smell from the bakery next door. Of course, after a while they would come ask me to close it, as they got developer fluid smell in the shop, which understandably put the customers off. What came as a shock to me was the first time they requested that, I was honestly like "what smell"? I had become too used to it - scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
We have some plant growing outside where I work. They might be wild onions, or some flowering concoction.

Whatever it is, it smells like goat piss floating in diesel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a kid, Butter Krust used to have an industrial sized bread bakery here. It was heaven to drive by it. As elementary school students, we got 1 field trip a year to tour the facility. At the very end of the tour as the loaves were coming out of the giant ovens, several loaves were pulled aside and sliced up and painted with melted butter. Heaven on earth for a 3rd grader!

About 15 years ago, I was visiting one of our factories in another country, which was right next to a pet food rendering plant. Oh god, that was an awful smell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

In my section of town (also industrial), we've got a microbrewery a block away and I can smell roasted malts on most mornings. It's a lot like roasted coffee-- sort of burnt & bitter, but not entirely unpleasant.

Columbus hosts a big Budweiser plant and in the summer, when you're driving with your windows down, on the north outer-belt and on I-71, you can smell what you mentioned above. Simultaneously nasty and great...

Friends of ours that grew up in neighborhoods to the east (downwind) smell that aroma and think fondly of home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
MABBY wrote:
Your house smells like Robert Duvall?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
My ideal outdoor smell would be some kind of combination of permanent markers, new magazines, freshly-cut chives, and leaded gasoline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't typically smell anything when I'm outside unless the wind is out of the north and then I smell the Quaker Oats factory about 30 miles away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Celebrated my son's "Star Wars" birthday and was properly kilted!
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in the country, fields and dairy farms. So the lovely smell when I open the classroom door (or my house) is often the smell of money aka cow dung.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a kid in Sacramento there was a Wonder bakery just off the side of the freeway near Arden Fair. You'd be going along in the car and *WHAM* your car was suddenly full of that baking bread smell. It was fantastic. I was reminded of that while we lived in a duplex here in Kansas City. There was a Wonder Bread bakery just over the freeway from us. When the wind was from the north that fresh baked bread smell was wonderful.

In our new house we smell...nothing. We're in a very quiet area off away from any commercial or industrial. We smell nothing and most nights can't even hear the sounds of traffic from anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton javelin1 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
MABBY wrote:
Your house smells like Robert Duvall?!?

doesn't everyone's??????????????arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of miles away is a Nabisco bakery. When the wind is right, our neighborhood smells like fresh cookies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
A few years ago, the Tone's spice factory had surplus garlic salt and donated it to their locality to use for icy roads. So whenever it snowed that winter Ankeny, Iowa, smelled like an Italian restaurant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
A few years ago, the Tone's spice factory had surplus garlic salt and donated it to their locality to use for icy roads. So whenever it snowed that winter Ankeny, Iowa, smelled like an Italian restaurant.

That is the single most awesome concept that I've ever heard of!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got some vague memory (can't even recall if it was local) that people complained about the aromas coming from a bakery. They wanted it treated like a smokestack to limit the smell. Takes all kinds, I guess.

But at home, it's a good day if we can't smell skunk. I've even had one charge at me while I was retrieving the morning newspaper. Fortunately it was pointed the wrong way when it raised its hindquarters as I rapidly moved on out of range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My neighbour across the hall is making kimchi. Need I say more gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
walk_softly wrote:
My neighbour across the hall is making kimchi. Need I say more gulp
Yes! "May I have some of your kimchi?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.