Hide
12 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Why I like imperial assault better than Descent 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
devastadus bam
msg tools
I see many threads of I don’t like descent will I like this one? Or would I like this game. I’m a guy who owns descent 2 with all current expansions that has completed the imperial assault campaign. This is my perspective.

Missions – Many of descent 2’s missions become races; you can kind of say that the same about imperial assault as well, but it feels less so. This is because the info is hidden or many missions end after X many rounds, heroes actually can die and units can not block objectives and the imperial player no longer has infinite re-spawns. This also helps the missions gracefully end without lagging on, which was a huge frustration for me playing descent2. Most missions involve with you killing someone or trying to defend the base from imperials for X rounds, hold a point or fight through a dungeon to the end. Killing the opponent is now a feasible strategy, so thus there is more incentive to do combat. .

Side missions – I really like the side missions to imperial assault. You know they are coming instead and can choose what ones to take. The rewards feel fulfilling especially if you get chewy or a characters side quest where your character actually has a story to them. It’s also neat that the imperial player can throw in agenda’s to throw you off as well instead of descent where the overload may or may not play them. Side quest in decent are cool too with there own side plots. Though I kind of like imperial assault’s a little more.

Enemy units – In descent 2 most of the units felt as push overs or just obstacles, maybe they did a little damage, and little presence. But they were mostly there to race for objectives or block the heroes from getting the objectives. I felt most of the time I played I felt that I did little fighting except to distract. In imperial assault the units do damage, feel useful and have massive presence. This is mostly because of the new turn over. Each unit also feels like there are certain situations to play them and feel they have an advantage/weakness against various hero compositions. Buffed up storm troopers are forces to reckon with. And unchecked enemy units will hurt you.

Enemy Respawns – I feel the threat system is way better then in descent2, in descent 2 its usually something like respawn 1 open group unit, so it can either weak or be powerful especially if it gets to move at the start of the overlord round. Threat helps balance this all. Only issue is with imperial assault is the imperial player can save all his threat and then summon a huge army to overwhelm the rebel player at the end. Unless I missed a rule somewhere I think the imperial player should be limited to how many groups he can summon on his reinforcement phase.

Campaign flow/ snowball effect – Decent started out with the heroes being very weak to very strong once they got gear. Game had a snowball effect. Imperial assault it is less snowball, for the following reasons. First there’s 3 Tiers of gear for the rebel players so he doesn’t go from weak to strong all of a sudden. It is a slower flow of getting better gear. For the imperial player there is no level 1 or level 2 monsters, there are just regulars and elites, elites just cost more. As you advance farther in the campaign the imperial player slowly generates more threat per round to summon more and better units. So you could take a strong AT-ST at the beginning of the game but it will probably hurt you since it’s going to use all your threat. This slowly increase in threat and stronger gear through the campaign helps ease the snowball effect.

Gear – I feel gear is a lot more fun because of the modifications you can buy to modify gear, it helps add a layer of depth without becoming complex. Descent gear is gear cool as well but I like modifications.

Classes – Mostly the same, you do lose the choose a character/class combo in descent that adds customizability but it feels minor, I felt that some descent 2 class/combos were very overpowered. But having a character and their own personal quest in imperial assault wins out.

Overlord Cards/ Imperial player Class cards – I felt the overlord Cards were annoying and cheap, or not useful. Like a dash in the right circumstance can lead to a decisive victory where the heroes could not do anything about it. Or a trap card at the right time could dash the hero’s chance for success. They were more frustrating then fun at least to me. With the imperial class deck it’s like a hero’s class deck, I know what he has what his powers are. They are more reliable and less cheap then overlord class deck. Both add customizability since you can pick and choose it is just less random, then drawing the right card at the right time.

Descent Lieutenants vs Villains– I honestly haven’t played much with Lieutenants, they kind of just add additional power. It’s neat but a little fiddly. The Imperial agenda deck is the Imperial assault version. At the end of the mission you get influence to buy these cards. Some give missions to get Villains permanently while others give powers. For me the imperial assault version is less fiddly and when I buy my guys I like having them permanently, rather than in descent where you get them for a round.

I hope this helps someone, everyone’s option is different this is just mine. On that note I don’t know what I’m going to do with my descent stuff since I just like imperial assault a lot more. I can’t wait for the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot to add that Imperial Assault doesn't have these bastards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
devastadus wrote:
Unless I missed a rule somewhere I think the imperial player should be limited to how many groups he can summon on his reinforcement phase.

There are a limited number of open groups for each mission (some early ones have 0), so the number of deployment cards the IP has in hand will be limited. The IP can still let the initial and reserved groups die (and gets the non-unique cards back into their hand), and then deploy everything at once, but it is very dangerous to let the rebels roam free unimpeded.

Besides, I think it is good to have both cheap and expensive units in open groups for different eventualities. (There are ways to get more threat using agendas and rewards etc, and some events give extra threat, so you can react to what happens by deploying differently costed units.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian short
United Kingdom
Newcastle
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The reinforcement system in D2 just isn't very good, you can reinforce either a goblin archer or a shadow dragon each turn depending on which group you pick. IA wins hands down.

Side missions in IA are way better because they can't be ignored, in D2 the overlord can choose not to play the mission card or the heroes can choose not to attempt the mission. In D2 the side quests are multi-part which is good, in IA the mission structure is more open and there is a single 2 part mission in the core game. I think these will get more in depth over time.

Lieutenants were an add on in D2, they added an extra deck for the overlord to use as an alternative to buying overlord class cards. This allowed for the overlord to use the lieutenant in any quest. The agenda deck in IA is far better, instead of managing two separate decks you construct a single deck out of agenda sets. Each set can be Like using a lieutenant, if I want to use the Vader "lieutenant" I choose to use his set when constructing the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Sausville
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
If you look at Threat in the rules reference guide there is a limit to 20.

I found this out because I did the same thing with one of the missions. I waited to play anybody and waited and waited. I eventually brought Darth Vader, Elite Royal Guards, Elite Stormtroppers, 2 regular Stormtroopers, and Elite Trandoshan Hunters on. all in one turn. I still lost as all he had to do was flee.

It was fun, but you cannot ever have more than 20 threat. So this also means if the rebel player brings in a ally and that pushes your threat above 20 then you loose some of that threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent post. Been looking for something like this for a few days now. My problem is I basically purchased D2 after waiting ages for it...about a week before the announcement for IA! Now I'm scared Id like IA better as would my mates who are into SW in general with the Rpg and minis they already do.

Can I ask what theme you prefer (outside of the actual gameplay) were you more SW inclined or wizards and orcs?
Also, what game would you say is easier to teach/understand in general?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
devastadus bam
msg tools
sauseli2 wrote:
If you look at Threat in the rules reference guide there is a limit to 20.

I found this out because I did the same thing with one of the missions. I waited to play anybody and waited and waited. I eventually brought Darth Vader, Elite Royal Guards, Elite Stormtroppers, 2 regular Stormtroopers, and Elite Trandoshan Hunters on. all in one turn. I still lost as all he had to do was flee.

It was fun, but you cannot ever have more than 20 threat. So this also means if the rebel player brings in a ally and that pushes your threat above 20 then you loose some of that threat.

Oh thanks didn't know. I was the imperial player and i had agenda cards that give me bonus threat. I was way above 20 threat and deployed Vader and 4 other groups. It was way to much.

I also i forgot to add the end finally is awesome, climatic and epic. Descent had good endings too but this one just felt cooler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
devastadus bam
msg tools
badmike01 wrote:
Excellent post. Been looking for something like this for a few days now. My problem is I basically purchased D2 after waiting ages for it...about a week before the announcement for IA! Now I'm scared Id like IA better as would my mates who are into SW in general with the Rpg and minis they already do.

Can I ask what theme you prefer (outside of the actual gameplay) were you more SW inclined or wizards and orcs?
Also, what game would you say is easier to teach/understand in general?

I do like Science fiction slightly more than fantasy. Though even if IA was a fantasy and Descent 2 was science fiction. I would not change my judgement. This based of gameplay alone, IA killing has more purpose, and monsters have more presents, the small tweaks to IA makes the system is funner overall. Despite the theme i would get IA over Descent2 just for the system. Both games scratch the same itch so to say.

I wouldn't say one is more difficult than the other unless you add lieutenant to descent. If so descent is just slightly more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Treasure
United Kingdom
Romsey
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree and +1 I vastly prefer IA to Descent 2. Many issues my group and I didn't like about D2.

D1 on the other hand... That's a tough choice. On reflection I'd probably go IA these days because of *much* shorter and manageable campaign length but hooo eeee there's no dungeon crawler better out there than D1 if you have the time and someone with Return to Legend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian short
United Kingdom
Newcastle
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
badmike01 wrote:

Also, what game would you say is easier to teach/understannd in general?

IA is far easier to teach. Simpler rules, streamlined rulebook, a skirmish mode that doubles as a tutorial, less options to confuse New players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian short
United Kingdom
Newcastle
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Reaper wrote:
Agree and +1 I vastly prefer IA to Descent 2. Many issues my group and I didn't like about D2.

D1 on the other hand... That's a tough choice. On reflection I'd probably go IA these days because of *much* shorter and manageable campaign length but hooo eeee there's no dungeon crawler better out there than D1 if you have the time and someone with Return to Legend.

Couldn't agree more, I have the full D1e (including RTL and the realms of terrinoth promo quests) but I also have kids. I couldn't find time to play a D1e quest let alone a RTL campaign, IA comes in small enough chunks that I can still play through a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well pointed out and then there is even more like better dice and better turn structure ... And skirmish for free.
What I miss is a complex RTLish campaign set in KOTOR style about 30-50% of RTLs lenght... But thats about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.