Popular Tags: [View All]
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first game, I taught (mistakenly I realized) that you have to own the coral before you can start attacking other corals. Now that I re-read the rule, it states that you can use opponents coral reef to attack others.. or even your own. Now I'm wondering does this mean that you can use unclaimed coral reef to attack others?

And also does this mean that you can virtually start your new coral reef close to the oppenents and on your action 2 lay four tiles.. two of which would consume your opponents? Or there has to be 2 tiles on the board already before you can add yours to consume other tiles? I'm sorry if the wording is confusing. I'm basically asking if you can start your coral reef from scratch and on the same action eat other coral reef.

Another quick question, what is the fifth spot for the shrims on the open sea board for? Is there an expansion for 5th player I don't know about?

I appreciate any info on this before I try to teach the game again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can use an unclaimed coral reef to attack others.

You can consume other corals as soon as you have two tiles, so yes you could lay two of your four tiles and then lay your other two to consume two of your opponent's (provided a shrimp is not guarding them).

I read somewhere that the fifth shrimp is for the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
shingoi wrote:
In our first game, I taught (mistakenly I realized) that you have to own the coral before you can start attacking other corals. Now that I re-read the rule, it states that you can use opponents coral reef to attack others.. or even your own. Now I'm wondering does this mean that you can use unclaimed coral reef to attack others?

Yes, that's exactly what it means. Have you tried reading my Beginner's Guide alongside the rules?

Quote:
And also does this mean that you can virtually start your new coral reef close to the oppenents and on your action 2 lay four tiles.. two of which would consume your opponents?

Yes, provided your tiles are stronger as indicated by the coral strength tiles, and the weaker coral's polyp tiles are not within the range of influence of any shrimp.

Quote:
Or there has to be 2 tiles on the board already before you can add yours to consume other tiles?

No. As soon as a coral is 2 tiles big, it can grow over any other weaker coral (provided once again that there isn't any shrimp guarding the tiles you want to consume).

Quote:
I'm sorry if the wording is confusing. I'm basically asking if you can start your coral reef from scratch and on the same action eat other coral reef.

Yes, you can; it is an integral part of the action 'Grow Corals'.

Quote:
Another quick question, what is the fifth spot for the shrims on the open sea board for? Is there an expansion for 5th player I don't know about?

It's for the expansion Reef Encounters of the 2nd Kind, which was released at Spiel 2006 in Essen. You still can't play with 5, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Drew1365 wrote:
I'm pretty sure you mean "within the range of influence of any shrimp on the coral you are attacking." Or am I missing something. An opponent's shrimp only protects his own tiles, right?

Right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.