Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve been soloing the AH base game for the better part of a year now, usually playing three investigators, and winning pretty easily. So, I decided to add DH to ratchet up the challenge. Seems to have worked! Just played my first game with the Dunwich Horror expansion last night, and it was a close one!

Ancient One:
Shudde M’ell

Investigators:
Bob Jenkins, the Salesman
Mark Harrigan, the Soldier
Marie Lambeau, the Entertainer

My randomly selected group of investigators yielded me very few clues (5 between the three of them), but plenty of weaponry. Bob drew an Enchanted Sword and a Derringer in his starting gear, and Mark comes standard with the Flamethrower and Molotov. We got Marie a Silver Key early in the game, which she used to slip past the same Mummy on three different occasions.

The early game was brutal, especially for Bob. He got sucked through an appearing gate to Lost Carcosa at the Black Cave on Turn 1. After emerging and closing the gate, the exact same thing happened to him at the Graveyard. Back to Lost Carcosa! Meanwhile, Marie got roughed up by the Sheldon Gang, and Mark’s creepy encounter cost him one of his scant three Sanity Points. Not a good start.

But as the game progressed, I found some rhythm with this team. Mark’s flamethrower made short work of wandering monsters, and a visit to the Asylum helped him deal with the effects of SEVERAL missed Horror Checks. Marie, stealthily slipped past monsters to collect clues and eventually closed and sealed two gates. And Bob never left Rivertown. He just kept rounding up clues and exploring gates in those locations the entire game!

Toward the end, stuff got real. Shudde M’ell had turned six locations into rubble. One more monster surge and he’d destroy his seventh, causing the investigators to be swallowed up and devoured in an Arkham-destroying earthquake. To make matters worse, the Doom Track was at 11 of 12, and the Dunwich Horror had just hit the table. Marie was out of clues and recovering at the hospital from a run-in with a Star Vampire. Bob was out of clues and keeping the monster count down in Rivertown. Mark was my only hope. I had five seals on the board, and Mark was just about to emerge from the Abyss into a Dunwich location with five clues at the ready. But would he get the chance to finish it?

If the Mythos Card hit one of the four open gates, we’d get a monster surge and a rubble token… and lose.

If it opened a new gate, Shudde M’ell would awaken, we’d get one round of combat… and lose.

If it caused the Dunwich Horror to move, we’d have to roll a die, and on a 4-6, we’d add a Doom Token to the Doom Track, awakening Shudde M’ell… and lose.

I drew the card. It was a gate location that was already sealed! And no Dunwich Horror movement! Hooray! I moved Mark out of the gate, and soon, I was rolling three dice to hopefully close and seal the gate and end the game.

Two 1’s and a 2.

So, I’d have to dodge another Mythos Card. I drew it, and found it was another sealed location, but I did have to roll for the Dunwich Horror. I rolled a 2! Which was great!

Then I read the top of the Mythos Card:

“No One Can Help You Now” - Mystic Environment - Gates cannot be sealed, though they can still be closed.

I’m doomed!

Mark waited around another turn at the Gate, hoping to draw an environment that would replace the cursed one staring at me. Next Mythos Phase, I drew and looked. Yet another sealed location! No Dunwich movement! And… an Urban Environment! I’d get another shot at this thing!

Mark once again rolled his three dice… and got one success! He closed and sealed the gate. I had won.

11/12 Doom Tokens on the Doom Track
1 Remaining Rubble Token
Zero Remaining Clues

I think I’m going to like this expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
glweston wrote:
I’ve been soloing the AH base game for the better part of a year now, usually playing three investigators, and winning pretty easily. So, I decided to add DH to ratchet up the challenge. Seems to have worked! Just played my first game with the Dunwich Horror expansion last night, and it was a close one!

Ancient One:
Shudde M’ell

Investigators:
Bob Jenkins, the Salesman
Mark Harrigan, the Soldier
Marie Lambeau, the Entertainer

My randomly selected group of investigators yielded me very few clues (5 between the three of them), but plenty of weaponry. Bob drew an Enchanted Sword and a Derringer in his starting gear, and Mark comes standard with the Flamethrower and Molotov. We got Marie a Silver Key early in the game, which she used to slip past the same Mummy on three different occasions.

The early game was brutal, especially for Bob. He got sucked through an appearing gate to Lost Carcosa at the Black Cave on Turn 1. After emerging and closing the gate, the exact same thing happened to him at the Graveyard. Back to Lost Carcosa! Meanwhile, Marie got roughed up by the Sheldon Gang, and Mark’s creepy encounter cost him one of his scant three Sanity Points. Not a good start.

But as the game progressed, I found some rhythm with this team. Mark’s flamethrower made short work of wandering monsters, and a visit to the Asylum helped him deal with the effects of SEVERAL missed Horror Checks. Marie, stealthily slipped past monsters to collect clues and eventually closed and sealed two gates. And Bob never left Rivertown. He just kept rounding up clues and exploring gates in those locations the entire game!

Toward the end, stuff got real. Shudde M’ell had turned six locations into rubble. One more monster surge and he’d destroy his seventh, causing the investigators to be swallowed up and devoured in an Arkham-destroying earthquake. To make matters worse, the Doom Track was at 11 of 12, and the Dunwich Horror had just hit the table. Marie was out of clues and recovering at the hospital from a run-in with a Star Vampire. Bob was out of clues and keeping the monster count down in Rivertown. Mark was my only hope. I had five seals on the board, and Mark was just about to emerge from the Abyss into a Dunwich location with five clues at the ready. But would he get the chance to finish it?

If the Mythos Card hit one of the four open gates, we’d get a monster surge and a rubble token… and lose.

If it opened a new gate, Shudde M’ell would awaken, we’d get one round of combat… and lose.

If it caused the Dunwich Horror to move, we’d have to roll a die, and on a 4-6, we’d add a Doom Token to the Doom Track, awakening Shudde M’ell… and lose.

I drew the card. It was a gate location that was already sealed! And no Dunwich Horror movement! Hooray! I moved Mark out of the gate, and soon, I was rolling three dice to hopefully close and seal the gate and end the game.

Two 1’s and a 2.

So, I’d have to dodge another Mythos Card. I drew it, and found it was another sealed location, but I did have to roll for the Dunwich Horror. I rolled a 2! Which was great!

Then I read the top of the Mythos Card:

“No One Can Help You Now” - Mystic Environment - Gates cannot be sealed, though they can still be closed.

I’m doomed!

Mark waited around another turn at the Gate, hoping to draw an environment that would replace the cursed one staring at me. Next Mythos Phase, I drew and looked. Yet another sealed location! No Dunwich movement! And… an Urban Environment! I’d get another shot at this thing!

Mark once again rolled his three dice… and got one success! He closed and sealed the gate. I had won.

11/12 Doom Tokens on the Doom Track
1 Remaining Rubble Token
Zero Remaining Clues

I think I’m going to like this expansion!

Shhh. Not so loud. Cthulhu is listening.

You did get awfully lucky at the last. Savor it. It may not happen again.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I loved the difficulty Dunwich Horror adds for 3 player. It improved the game a lot for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.