Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about inflicting this game on my playing group, and digesting the rules has naturally led to thinking about revamping them a bit.

Some things are easy: get rid of spaceship notation, replacing the log lines with a set of cards for the hulls and pods (this makes it easier for the players to visualise what they have). Likewise for the agents: have a deck of agent reference cards instead of a pool of chits. Use paper money or poker chips instead of the asset scales.

A core part of the game, however, is the Transactions phase. The Speed Trader variant thread got mo to thinking that my idea may not be good, so I'll lay it out here, so it can be discussed. Playtest should follow.

Briefly, instead of bidding secretly for buying and selling in the various commodity markets, you wait until the market comes up (in the order decided as before), then you go in Initiative order. Each player gets to do ONE transaction, and can pass once to move to the last position in initiative. To buy, you count boxes left of the S/D marker to find your price for that many units. To sell, you count boxes right. The Market Manager's advantage now becomes that he gets to pick when to do his transaction.

Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Star Trader 3000 not fit your bill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
Does Star Trader 3000 not fit your bill?

It's not available yet, sort of. Are the rules accessible on-line?

I'm working from my own copy of the original SPI magazine edition, which the first owner pleasantly modified by mounting each marker on a small piece of ceramic tile. Gives the game a nice heft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Miodek
msg tools
Well, in my opinion replacing agent with agent card rather than chit is not an option. Of course it can be supported by a card to have agent description in handy. Yet you need to place the agent in a specific location (spaceship or starport) and this is indicated by the chit.

As for replacing HT track with money, I would definitely suggest poker chips rather than Monopoly money (or from any other game). Keeping track of other players assets is an important part of a gameplay. If you see someone is developing to well you can try to stop them by attacking the ships, making sabotage or simply choosing the transaction order most unfavourable for that person (e.g. disabling commodity purchase). But you need to know that this person is indeed to welthy to risk most of those operations.

A big benefit of secret bidding is that you have to think over your strategy. What will pay up? Bidding close to the price market with the risk of being beaten by competitors, or harsh bidding at the edge of any income just to make a wholesale and earn market position?
BTW how in your case is going to work the Market Position? Does the price changes and amount of available units actually represent the supply and demand (it might be that even when you offer very good price, the product is just unavailable on the market). Does it include the randomness offered by rolling the dice? How are the prices changed afterwards?
These are just quick questions that appear in my mind.

As there already is a playable online version, maybe it's worth consider using it as your board rather than play "old style"? Of course by playing on computer you loose the benefit of playing the board game as such.

Best regrads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.