Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Thompson
United States
Thomson
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my "thing to do today". This game has a lot of decks! I've been using a baseball card display stand...

But it wasn't enough!!! So I made this:

You could use the top row for the decks and the bottom row for the discard pile... or you could use each and every deck and put the discard pile underneath the deck turned around.

I also made an insert for the Pirates and Bounty Hunters box to keep the decks stored.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
designer
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable.com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
The original stand wasn't big enough? They hold 20 decks, was it not deep enough? Nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't speak for Doug, but I will say that the black stand takes up a lot of real estate. It's also a bit disappointing to try to use it for discard piles. When the game originally came out, I could put the five contacts and five supply planets in their own sections, with another section for discards, so only the Misbehaves and Nav Cards were floating around, but now we've got the Wanted deck, two more contacts and another supply deck. Plus whatever we'll eventually get in the other Rim expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for the base game and all the expansions, I use four (4) of these:

they hold all the cards and discard piles (some in front row, like supply decks/contact decks...and some behind in 2nd row, like misbehave decks) and all the money, etc...

2-players or 4-players, they make the game much easier to manage; love them and even use them for many other games (although not all 4 at once!)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent custom work, there!

I use two of the black trays, for the first time in my game when George K. came over to visit. We used one for supply decks and one for job decks, each with their own discard piles, as well as msc other stuff. Of course, I do have a very large table. We had different players near and running the cards in each one, while the new guy was banker and I was the general GM, turning over Nav Cards and etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jon's method worked very well -- for those of us who have tables that big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Jon's method worked very well -- for those of us who have tables that big.
using these really doesn't take up more space than just placing all the decks on the table...and it's much easier to access/use them...and with the expansions adding many new decks, plus "alert" decks, "misbehave" decks, and 4 stacks of money it just seemed easier to expand my "hold-it" collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Thompson
United States
Thomson
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The HOLD IT organizer looks nice.
For those intersted, I found them on this website for $14...
http://www.innovatiuminc.com/

But I think I'll stick with my $1 piece of foam board. haha

I am looking at making improvements to the design though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Thompson
United States
Thomson
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my first update...

As you can see, I put a cross beam across the front of each row to keep the decks from falling forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Thompson
United States
Thomson
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here was our game tonight. We played with every deck in the game (including LOCAL COLOR. We had a blast. I can't remember the story but it was the one with havens and the Alliance Alert Tokens everywhere. It took 2 1/2 hours. My son was about to win but then he encountered the Alliance Cruiser at the next to last sector and he lost the $1000 he needed to win. Then my other son and I went on a run and were both going to win. My second son won... I would have won the next turn. And my first son - who lost the credits when he was going to won - would have also won on his next turn.

It was a blast. We had a ton of fun! Now, to the pics...

My custom-made deck stand worked great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rau
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I kind of enjoy spreading the "verse" out while playing, but I wanted to keep things neat and organized so this is my solution:

Bear in mind, I am not a carpenter. But, I was able to whip this together with a coping saw, a hammer and small nails, and a little glue. The racks are basically 1/8" plywood with 3/4" x 1/2" rectangular dowels attached. (The Misbehave rack is only 1/2 x 1/2").

Ready to fly

Locked-and-Loaded

One really nice feature of this setup is the ability to pass sets of cards around the table. For example, suppose someone flies to Meridian and wants to Misbehave. One can simply pass the entire Misbehave rack to them. There is no reaching and knocking Reaver tokens off of their sector, etc.

I also picked up this storage box in the craft department of a store whose name starts with a W.

I was actually surprised at how well everything fits. This includes the Pirates and Bounty Hunters, Blue Sun, and even the Artful Dodger. But, I have a feeling that the next expansion will require a new box. Bummer eh!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not nearly crafty enough to build something like the OP, but someone showed me this KS for Battlestar Galactica and it looks promising:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1889627008/game-card-ho...

Easier to pass around the nav decks that way, and having all the shopping/job discard piles vertical might be easier to grab. Looks like there is an interlocking feature coming which might be useful for the planets with both jobs and shops.

I'm using some 4-level business card holders now, but with all the expansions they are pretty full with sleeved cards and the discard piles aren't much higher/lower than the draw pile, opposed to the OP or these KS holders. Makes them hard to grab for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.J.
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm working on a balsa design for the contacts and ports. It still needs some work (resizing the support beams underneath and adding sides to it).

I'm not really sure how well glued balsa will hold up, which is why you see those thick rods on the inside.

It's designed to hold the 9 contacts in the front - the deck landscape and discards flat on the side - and then the ports up top - discards behind the applicable decks.

It'll handle the extra stuff from the next expansion.

The footprint of the stand is 20" wide (same length as the game board) and 6" deep; it's 6" tall not counting the cards. The sizing could probably be optimized a little more, but I was choosing dimensions that would minimize the amount of cutting I would need to do, so most everything's in 1 and 2" strips which are cheap and easy to find.

https://tinkercad.com/things/4pfA0Dtlc3W <-- WIP

Not on the stand, of course, are the 3 nav decks, misbehaves, bounties. I was figuring a different tray or two for those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alec lynch
msg tools
Like many, especially with expansions, I was finding that table space was becoming more valuable than Jayne's Hat, so I also tried my hand at creating something to organize the cards.

It probably could have been a bit longer actually, but I'm pretty happy overall. Its footprint is quite small and it can hold 18 decks and their discard piles.

What really pleased me was how easy the whole thing turned out to be, which is good because I am by no means a carpenter, and lazy!

A summary of how it's made for any interested:

I went to my local hardware shop and bought and found almost all the pieces I needed already sized about right, so hardly any cutting necessary. A bottle of wood glue later and I was all set.

First I took four pieces that were 2 inches wide, 1 inch high, and 2 feet long and glued them together to make my "steps". Basically I glued them together so that each piece overlapped most of the one below it; the bit left sticking out forms each row that the cards sit on.

Next I took the pieces I'd found that were also 2 feet long but very thin, and glued them on front of each step to make the crossbars. I also added one on top to make the back for the top row.

Finally (and this was the piece I did have to cut to size) I glued the sides on so it would stand up straight.

The whole thing probably only took a few hours (and almost all of that was the drying time I had to wait between gluing pieces together) and less than $30 in wood.

I'm thinking I might try to spiff it up with some artwork, and if I could start over I'd have used taller pieces for each step so that you'd see more of each card, but it's done the trick of saving enough table space that I might just be able to buy the next expansion without having to move to a bigger house!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.