Popular Tags: [View All]
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am planning to print a PnP card game, and today I visited Staples and looked for the card stock paper, they had 3 paper packs in different weights: 65lb, 67lb and 110lb.

Which one I should buy? Which card stock paper is used in Twilight Struggle (GMT)? in Bang!? Dominion? Thunderstone Advance?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends. If you are just doing one sheet (printing only on one side and sleeving or printing on both sides), I would go with 110lb. If you are going to print the front on one sheet and the back on another, and then glue them together, I would go with either 65lb or 67lb (I find them to be so close it's more what you prefer). The one sheet of 110lb will be a little lighter than the cards in most games, and two sheets of 65/67lb will be a little thicker than most game cards.

For more in depth on cards making: Making Cards: You’ll never use your old method again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam

I would go with 110lb card stock. I would also get a full sheet laminator and pack of the sheets. You should be able to get the laminator and sheets for about 35-40 bucks. You can also get a cheap cutter so you don't have to use scissors. I've literally cut thousands of sheets this way before I bought a cutting machine.

The negative is that for a short time your cards will be pretty slippery and a good sized stack will have a tendency to slide on you. The positive is that after some use that won't be an issue anymore.

The end result is pretty decent quality that will last a while without a huge investment.

One more suggestion make sure the laminator you buy and the sheets are the same brand. It makes a huge difference in my experience. I bought both a cheap scotch laminator and an expensive one. The scotch laminator sheets work much better in the cheaper scotch laminator than the expensive one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have a similar question about Card Stock. I want to test out some pseudo card-like prints, but I wasn't sure between 65 lb and 110 lb.

1) Which paper weight is easier to cut with a pair of scissors? (I don't want to invest in a straight cutter yet)

2) If I want to make miniature cards and print about, say, 18 to a single 8.5 by 11 paper, and then I plan to cut out these cards with some cheap scissors, which paper weight should I buy?

3) Also, how do the 65 lb and 110 lb papers shuffle compared to each other?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.