Walt Le
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Do Imperial Forces characters shoot 'through' other Imperial Forces characters?

For example, just say I have in a line these 3 characters (one behind the other):

- Storm Trooper
- Royal Guard
- Diala

Can the Storm Trooper shoot Diala, even though the Royal Guard is in his way?

ALSO:
As you know the AT-ST stands much higher than the other Imperial characters, so in practice it should be able to shoot over any Imperial characters that are in front of it? Is this permitted in the game?

thanks everyone, this was something that came up in our game today

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, all figures block line-of-sight (for anything that is not Massive). Only Mak can choose to use his special card to ignore figures when making a shot.

See the Massive reference card, it specifically lets you ignore figures when determining line-of-sight.

Note that you can use the Move action to get movement points, spend some movement points to move to Diala's other side or step to the side of the friendly figure, if possible to get line-of-sight, make the attack, then move back. (You can't occupy the same space with another figure while you make any actions.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figures other than the attacker and the target block line of sight and you require line of sight to make an attack, so no, you cannot shoot through other figures, regardless of their affiliation.
RRG - Line of Sight wrote:
If either of these lines
passes through a wall, figure, or blocking terrain, then the figure
does not have line of sight to the target.

As for the AT-ST, the Massive rules include:

RRG - Massive wrote:
• Figures do not block line of sight to or from a Massive figure.

So yes, you can ignore any type of figure (not just friendly ones) when tracing LoS from or to an AT-ST.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Le
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks a lot Pasi and Jorgen ...

I have passed that onto our IP

and thanks for pasting those quotes too Jorgen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Le
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
So when playing as a Rebel, is one tactic to use weaker Imperial characters as human shields against more stronger Imperial characters?

For example, we kind of did that today:

We had a corridor that was 2 spaces wide, and there were 2 storm troopers filling these two spaces - filling the width. Behind them was an E-Web Engineer. And I felt that we'd rather face the 2 storm troopers than the E-Web Engineer (who can deal more damage and fire twice in a turn), so I tried to convince the others to keep the storm troopers alive

(I think once the IP caught wind of what we were doing he scattered his storm troopers everywhere)

What are your thoughts ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all situational, but it is good play to use the already activated figures as cover. Just remember that they will be activating again during the next round, so you better be away by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waltex wrote:
So when playing as a Rebel, is one tactic to use weaker Imperial characters as human shields against more stronger Imperial characters?

For example, we kind of did that today:

We had a corridor that was 2 spaces wide, and there were 2 storm troopers filling these two spaces - filling the width. Behind them was an E-Web Engineer. And I felt that we'd rather face the 2 storm troopers than the E-Web Engineer (who can deal more damage and fire twice in a turn), so I tried to convince the others to keep the storm troopers alive

(I think once the IP caught wind of what we were doing he scattered his storm troopers everywhere)

What are your thoughts ?

My thoughts are "Get out of my firing lane!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.