Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to find a shogi set locally, but I'm having trouble locating the sort of thing I'm looking for. So far I've found two sources: JW Hardy (the go merchant) has a paper + plastic set, and Kinokuniya (the Japanese bookshop) has a set with a folding wooden board and plastic pieces.

Ideally what I'd like is either wooden pieces + wooden board, (a nice set) or plastic pieces + plastic / vinyl mat (for the pub). I'd prefer Japanese pieces to western. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren paull
Australia
flag msg tools

Hi ,
Where about's in Australia are you?

Bit of a coincidence here ,until last week I'd been looking for a decent set in Melbourne for 10 years! Fianally hit the jackpot via a long shot, though I think the set I got is the one you mention, ie (nice)wooden board with plastic pieces .

Regards,

Darren

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Newtown, Sydney. As luck would have it I was able to trade for a wood and paper set like the one picutred:

Maybe I'll laminate the board, then if I later become a mad shogi fanatic I can get a set like yours. The final step of my scheme will be to swap the pieces betwixt the two sets, so I can have a wood + wood set for the house and a plastic + laminated paper set for the pub. Fiendish, eh?

Then perhaps I'll become a chain smoking shogi delinquent, like Kaga Tetsuo from Hikaru no Go.

By the way, if you're looking for a good shogi book, I can recommend 'Shogi for Beginners', which you can get from here:

http://uqconnect.net/~zzjhardy/gomain.html

(Click on 'view our pricelist'... I think it's A$16.50 ppd).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren paull
Australia
flag msg tools
Looks like you've done well there! Ho did you manage the swap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone read this thread and took pity on me, basically.

But if you edit your profile to include what you have for trade, and what you'd like to receive, there are many ways to trade things on BGG. Blurb here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Guide_to_Trading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've just read this thread again and I'd say it was a mutually beneficial trade.

Of course if anyone else wants to trade for a set, they can always get in touch with me - they are easy enough to get from a local Japanese chain store. I'd even trade for some unusual dice if you have any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.