Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] wargames [+] [View All]
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you recommend for a 4-hour multiplayer political wargame?

Here are some thoughts:
Struggle of Empires
Conquest of the Empire (II)
Warrior Knights
Line in the Sand

What would you recommend - including other games of the genre?

I'd like to have a game that can fill in for when someone suggests Risk. It should handle at least 6 players, finish in 4 hours, preferably with no elimination, resource management and political aspects a plus.

Thoughts on the ones I mentioned above:

SotE: Comments say it's very luck-based. Slavery being part of the game puts me off more than just a little bit.

CotE: Sounds like SotE in Rome. Which is better?

Warrior Knights: Can it finish in 4 hours? It may be heavier than even I'd like.

Line in the Sand: Seems very interesting but more of a novelty than solid, staple game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Political world dominatin/wargame
Barbarian, Kingdom, and Empire
Origins of World War II
Kingmaker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Political world dominatin/wargame
SoE is the only one that I have played.

Struggle of Empires:
Multiplayer, 3 or 4 hours, first game slow because no one knows the special ability tiles yet, Future games much faster. I find the number of different tiles a little overwhelming. The battles are a little random but you usually only lose one army. (you can come back).

The slavery is there but it is a minor part of the game. It was a part of colonial life back then so it is natural to put it in. Each player has to decide whether he still wants to play the game even though it is not politically correct. Roman period games also tend to have slave revolt special events (I don't know if CotE has mention of slavery).

Multiplayer wargames usually have the major problem of bash the leader and kingmaker in the endgame. Both SoE and CotE address this problem with a clever fun mechanism. Players bid to establish alliances that will last for several turns.This means that half the players are on your side no matter how much you are in the lead. It is a fun addition to the game.

CotE uses the same system as SoE and has a little more politics.(senators vote on issues).

The part of both games that I dislike is that geography has not much influence on the game. You can basically teleport anywhere with hardly any restrictions. Therefore there is no maneuvering of armies and navies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always amazed that slavery is off-putting, but outright slaughter (i.e. war) is not.

I second the recommendation for Struggle of Empires, it's the best of the games listed, but 4 hours is WAY optimistic for your first couple games, unless your entire group can make decisions quickly. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Wallace games, but other than the alliances auction, found SoE not to my taste. I like the original Conquest of the Empire, so taking the one thing I liked about SoE and adding it might be good, but I agree the lack of geographical limitations sounds lame.

Warrior Knights is pretty neat, though it is a bit slow, and the game really should be much, much longer than the 10 influence per player to really work the system.

Own a partial copy of Line in the Sand, but haven't ever tried to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the subject of SoE vs CotE I'd say that if you check the web page for CotE you'll note there's a couple of interesting variants posted. One of them deals with sorting the card deck to make it more like the tiles in SoE, increasing it's strategic depth slightly (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/92647). The other, posted by someone vaguely official, suggests some options to make the movement more realistic and the conquest more dynamic (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/85833).

If you add both these in, I fail to see that SoE really has much more to offer than CotE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Struggle of Empire, as between the two: I have only read the rules for it, but I think it is more balanced than CotE (which I have played, although only once). If you start losing in CotE its very difficult to come back as there is nowhere to hide.

On a different note, what about Here I Stand? The Tournament scenario is about 4 hours length, and it covers Europe (in depth) and the Americas (more sketchily).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If you don't mind a SF theme and can wait a few more months, possibly: Galactic Destiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
FlyingArrow wrote:
What do you recommend for a 4-hour multiplayer political wargame?...

I'd like to have a game that can fill in for when someone suggests Risk. It should handle at least 6 players, finish in 4 hours, preferably with no elimination, resource management and political aspects a plus...

I love SoE, but you may be dissapointed if you are looking for a political wargame. SoE is an area influence game masquerading as a wargame with no real political aspects (except alliance bidding). SOE is great, but I wouldn't categorize it as a political wargame. Check out my review (or someone elses) for more insight.

TI:3 fits the political wargame piece, but I doubt you'll complete a 6-player game in 4 hours.

Although not a typical politcal wargame, History of the World might be a good fit for Risk players. The combat system is similar to Risk but the rest of the gameplay is much more interesting.

You might consider Risk 2210 as a viable alternative, also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Weimer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though it doesn't meet your criteria (it can only accommodate up to 5), I'd recommend punching up the entry for Ideology. Diplomacy, resource management, bluffing, conflict in a world domination game that wraps up in under two hours. It's been an unexpected hit in my groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideology is definitely on my list. I just do not know if I will be able to get everything on my list. As a matter of fact, I think I will probably only get one or two of the games listed here. Tough choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.